I Want to Help You

the past comes back

2 months later me and Shia are settled into our new family home and we’re spending a lot of time baby proofing the house and buying furniture for the nursery. Luckly the room for the baby is already painted white so we could just get on buying furniture. While Shia was out one day with his dad I decided to unpack the 3 boxes of Shia’s baby things that were still in the garage. As I opened the garage door and lifted a box up I felt someone watching me. I spun around to see a guy dressed in all black stood at the garage door. he looked around 17 and a little upset
“umm hi there. You lost?” I asked not being rude but concerned.
“no”
“umm…selling something?” I moved the box around so it wasn’t hurting my stomace. His eyes went wide with panic.
“im Nick’s brother, Brandon” all of a suddent my heartbeat was in my ears. I looked past him and around the drive. “don’t worry, hes not here”
“then..umm..where is..he?”
“hes dead”
“what?” Brando came up close to me.
“hes dead. He died 3 weeks ago in a car crash”
“im..sorry”
“well he left some stuff in his Will to you and the baby. I just came to drop it off” he handed me a letter and then turned away.
“hey Brandon, wanna come in for a drink?”
“yer, that would be nice. here, let me help” he took the box off me and I lead him into the house.
“just pop that down by that door” I pointed to the one outside the baby’s room and then took him into the kitchen. “so what do you want to drink? Beer, water, Gatoraid?”
“water please” I popped the letter down and handed him a bottle of water.
“so where do you live? Here in LA?”
“no, in Palm Springs”
“oh, you drove all the way out here? You could have posted it”
“yer but I wanted to make sure it went into your hands” he pushed the letter towards me so I happily opened it. it read that I had been left a small amount of money that was to go into the baby’s collage fund and the house we used to share.
“the house?” I was shocked. I’d never thought he would have brought the house.
“yer, he did it up nice too. After you left”
“umm…” I put the letter down and sighed. “would it be bad of me if I said I didn’t want it?”
“I know my brother treated you badly but he tired to get you back but you had disappeared off the face of the earth until two months ago when my girlfriend spotted you in one of her magazines. i found out you were dating that guy from the movies”
“Shia”
“yer, Shia. So when my brother saw it he was upset and well, died soon after”
“your brother used to beat me, stangle me and he nearly killed me on 2 accasions. He means nothing to me and this house is just bad memories. You keep it” I said trying to be sympathetic to Brandon.
“im sorry for what my brother did to you. you’ll have to sell the house. We have a house”
“ok, I’ll sell it”
“what is the sex of the baby?” I smiled and rubbed my stomace softly.
“not sure, will find out in 2 months”
“my mom was woundering if we could be involved with the baby’s life?”
“of course. if you want I’ll take your number and I’ll call you once the baby is born” I wrote down his number and stuck it to the fridge.
“are you happy here?” Brandon asked looking around the room and seeing the odd photo of me and Shia or of his family or the dogs. There is even one of the ultrasound.
“im very happy here. I count myself lucky I found Shia because hes a very geniros man who has helped me in every single way without even asking for anything back, well apart from my love and-” I was about to talk about using Shia’s second name as the baby’s but stopped.
“and what?”
“nothing, doesn’t matter”
“oh ok. Well I better be going, I need to be back from for 7”
“ok well it was nice to meet you, im sorry you came out here for…nothing really”
“oh I did come here and get something. I got to see my neice or nefew growing inside you belly and see that you’ve got your life on track. Im happy for you Grace”
“thank you Brandon. Your family will have to come see the baby when its born”
“we will. Thank you Grace”
“bye Brandon” I waved him goodbye as he walked out the gate and I shut the door behind him. I was so sure that Nick told me he had no brother. Maybe he didn’t want me to know, at least my baby wont have to know her real father. I lit a candel in the living room for Nick. I was sorry for him, sorry for the sad life he lead leading him to losing me and our child and never forfilling his life. At least I got away from there. I went to look thought that box I broght in. I found a few old photos and a baby blanket along with some clothes of Shia’s when he was little, Shia’s birth cerificate and doctors records. I place the records back but left everything else out. I put the box back in the garage as Shia and Jeff pulled up into the drive and as Shia got out, another black car pulled up outside the gates and a guy hopped out and started to take photos. Oh lord!
“hey babe” I kissed his lips as he rushed over to me.
“hey, how you feeling?” he asked leading me away from the papps and into the house.
“I feel amazing” I said kissing his lips again.
“what have you been doing while I’ve been out?” he asked sitting on the new soft sofas.
“well umm…” I twiddled my fingers while I sat next to him.
“Whats wrong?”