Moment

Border's

April 27, 2007

Jack and Callie were lying next to each other on the floor of Border’s reading through a children’s book. Callie quietly giggled as Jack whispered something into her ear about how wrong the picture looked for a kid’s picture book.

As they continued to flip through the book, Callie’s head rested on his shoulder, her jaw moving slightly as she read the words inaudibly.

“Momma, book,” a young boy’s voice said from above them.

Jack and Callie looked up at the three year old blonde hair child before smiling. He pointed at the book they were reading and said, “Book, read.”

Jack and Callie looked at each other before Callie replied, “Do you want the book?”

The boy nodded his head as Callie started to hand it to him.

“No, read,” the boy told her.

Confused Callie placed the book back in front of them before looking at Jack.

“Do you want us to read it to you?” he asked the child.

The little boy nodded his head and smiled before sitting down Indian style in front of them.

Callie and Jack sat up in the same position before taking turns to read the pages and show the pictures. The little boy smiled and clapped as they did different voices and laughed while reading.

“Oh Mason, there you are,” a frantic young woman said coming up to the blonde. She started to pick him up but he crossed his arms and said, “No, read.”

“What?” the woman asked looking down at her son confused before following his pointed finger to the two teenagers holding the book.

“He wanted us to read it to him,” Callie explained smiling warmly between the mother and son.

The mother smiled before nodding her head and sitting down next to Mason.

Callie and Jack finished the last two pages before bowing as the little boy clapped.

They smiled before the little boy stood up and walked over to them and hugged them around the neck.

Jack and Callie looked at each other before Jack ruffled the boy’s hair and he walked back to his mother.

“Say thank you Mason,” the mother told her son.

“Thank you,” he said looking back at them with a grin.

“You’re welcome,” Callie and Jack smiled before shaking the mother’s hand. “Thank you so much.”

“No problem, it was fun,” Callie told her.

She nodded before taking her son towards the front of the store.

“That was cute,” Callie said a moment later.

Jack chuckled and nodded.

“You’re really good with kids,” Callie noted giving him a kiss.

Jack laughed before replying, “You too.”

Callie shrugged.

“What do you want to do now?” Jack asked wrapping an arm around her waist and resting his chin on her shoulder.

“Lunch?” Callie asked.

“Mmm yeah,” Jack answered as they stood up and walked towards the café in the store.
♠ ♠ ♠
feedback?