Moment

Home from Tour

February 3, 2008

“Callie bear, what’s the matter?” Jack crooned into Callie’s ear as she sat against his chest on the floor in front of their friends playing guitar hero.

Callie shook her head and replied with a monotonous tone, “It’s nothing Jack.”

“Liar, liar, pants on fire,” he joked.

Callie sighed and rolled her eyes. She stood up suddenly and announced, “I’m thirsty, anyone want anything?”

She heard a few grunts of “no’s” and a couple “beers!” She walked away and into Alex’s kitchen, Jack tailing behind her.

“What the fuck was that Callie?” Jack asked as soon as the door closed.

“What was what?” Callie asked innocently.

“Don’t pretend like you don’t have a clue what I’m talking about. Why are you mad at me?” Jack asked seriously.

“Who said I was mad at you?” Callie asked opening the fridge.

Jack growled, “You are mad at me about something, I can tell. What did I do?” he asked again closing the fridge door before she could grab anything.

“What the fuck Jack, you almost slammed my fingers shut!” Callie yelled.

“Your hands weren’t in the way, I wouldn’t have done it if they were,” Jack answered. “Why. Are. You. Mad. At. Me?” he asked again more slowly.

Callie glared at him and crossed her arms. “Don’t worry about, it’s not a big deal,” she answered.

“Bull shit,” Jack growled. “You wouldn’t be acting like this if it wasn’t a big deal. Tell me what I did wrong!” Jack raised his voice.

Callie frowned and shook her head. “You really can’t figure it out, can you?” she asked disappointed.

Jack’s features softened slightly, “Callie, just tell me. You know I don’t pick up on stuff quickly.”

Callie laughed bitterly, “That cannot always be your fucking excuse Jack! Grow up some! Honestly, did you even listen to what you said in those conversations we had on the phone for the past week?” She yelled.

Jack stared at her silently. He was running the conversations through his head.

Callie lost her patience waiting and let out a frustrated sigh. “You promised me that we would have Callie and Jack time tonight. And as much as I love our friends, I’ve been waiting for it all week. All week Jack!” she yelled.

Jack could hear the silence from the other room and looked at Callie. His confused facial features quickly transformed into ashamed and he opened his mouth to speak.

“Just don’t Jack,” Callie interrupted him. “I just figure you know since you’re gone for nine months out of the year that just maybe the week you come home you’d want to spend it with me, just me, every once in a while. Why do I always feel like the one that is working so hard in this relationship?” she asked him. “I’m the one that comes out on tour every chance I can because I make the time. I think about it. What about you Jack?!”

“Callie—“

“No Jack!” she screamed. “Did you know I get Matt to make sure you guys have all of these off days so that maybe you will think, ‘Oh Callie has the day off, maybe I should go see her.’ Or maybe ‘Oh Callie has something important today, I have the day off, I should go home and support her, like she supports me.’ But you don’t Jack, you don’t think,” Callie said with a shaky voice.

Jack rushed to her and pulled her into him, rubbing her head. She fought against his hold but he wouldn’t let her go. “Callie I’m sorry,” Jack apologized. “You’re right, I didn’t think of that, I don’t know why. I’m sorry baby girl,” he said holding her chin up so he was looking her in the eye. “And I’m sorry about tonight. I’m a dick. C’mon let’s go home."

Callie sighed, “No jack, you can just stay like you wanted. I’m going home. I’ll see you tomorrow.” Callie slipped from his arms and walked out of the kitchen.

Jack followed her out and grabbed her wrist, ignoring the audience they had. “Callie, don’t do this, please, just—“

“Jack,” Callie interrupted him softly. “Please, I’m tired and I’m going home. We can talk about this tomorrow,” she said glancing at their friends watching non-discreetly. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, “for bringing this up tonight.”

Jack looked at her pathetically, “Callie, please don’t.”

Callie just shook her head and walked out.

Jack stared at the door before walking back into the kitchen and grabbing a six pack of beers out of the refrigerator. He walked out on the back porch and sat down on the top step drinking rapidly from the first can. He only acknowledged Alex with a slight nod of his head as his best friend took the spot to the left of him. He opened a second just as Alex said “Whoa slow down bro. Everything’ll be fine.”

Jack just nodded his head and took a long sip.

“Come back inside and play poker with us,” Alex suggested.

“I’m good,” Jack replied quietly shaking his head.

Alex sighed before standing and taking two of the beers from the case.

“Alex?”

“Yeah man?”

“Can I crash here tonight?” Jack asked dully.

“Yeah bro. Guest room is all yours,” Alex responded.

“Thanks.”
♠ ♠ ♠
:|

If you didn't see the note on the last chapter that I added later...this story is going somewhere, I promise, I'm just trying to build up the relationship.

There's 10 more chapters.

Feedback?