Guardian

Ch: 7

What was I going to do now that I learned that Solomon a phoenix. A son of one of the kings from the underworld. His father's cousins with the devil. And Solomon was suppose to be my protector? I never expected someone else to take my job. Highly unexpected.

Solomon and I sat across from each other during lunch he didn't touch his nachos and he stared at his fingers. Sonny took a seat next to me.

"Hey guys what's going on?" she asked dipping her chips into her cheese.

"I can't believe he's dying." Solomon finally said.

"Who?" Sonny asked.

"How could he... I mean doesn't he you know already there?" I asked him.

"There's more levels to the world than you think. That's just level one of a long list of levels." Solomon said and ran his hands through his hair.

"What are you talking about? A video game or something?" Sonny asked.

Solomon got up and picked up his tray.

"Look, I got to go to class or something." he said dryly and walked away.

"What's with him. He seems so down." Sonny said.

"It's his dad he's sick. Really sick." I said.

"Poor guy is it cancer?" she asked.

I stood up.

"Something like that I got to go." I said and walked away.

"How could something be like cancer?" she asked and then shook her head.

Solomon rested his head on his locker.

"Trying to communicate with your dad?" I asked him.

"The portals like thanks to my half brother damn him." Solomon muttered.

"Do you know anything about his mother?" I asked Solomon leaning on the locker next to his.

"That she's a demon. That's about it." he said.

"Why date a demon and then a human?" I asked him.

"My dad is a very fickle person. Actually everyone in my family is." he said and sighed slamming his head in his locker again.

"Is there any other way you could get with your father?" I asked him.

He looked at me.

"Only a door portal but my mom doesn't have any and the schools portals don't lead to the underworld." he said and sighed.

"I... have a portal at my house. My mom uses it to go to work. But I can change it to go to the underworld." I said to him.

"No bad idea no way." he said shaking his head.

"Look let's forget about the phoenix guardian prejudice okay. Your dad is dying and you need to see him okay?" I asked him.

"What about your parents? Your mom the moment she sees me she'll know exactly what I am." he said.

"I'll talk to my mom Solomon. She'll understand." I said to him.

"You think it'll work?" he asked me.

I bit my bottom lip and nodded.

"Yeah." I said to him.

Back at home. I rushed Solomon into the house.

"Be quiet." I whispered to him.

"Is that you Sammy?" my dad asked.

"I thought you didn't like to be called Sammy?" Solomon asked.

"Yeah dad it's me." I said and rushed him into the kitchen.

My dad was coming down the stairs. Mixie got up from her bed and started to bark at Solomon.

"Shut up Mixie!" I said opening the door to the basement and then turning to see my mom. Dressed in her suit. She was back from work and she looked at Solomon and then me. I could sense that she was angry.

"Whose your friend?" my mom asked.

I looked at Solomon and we swallowed hard.

"Mom this is Solomon." I said to her.

After a good five minutes of yelling at me for inviting the spawn of a phoenix into our home. I was given an ample amount of time to explain myself.

"Mom, his dad's dying." I said.

"I don't care if the queen of England is dying! I told you not to associate yourself with him!" she yelled.

"I should go." Solomon said quietly.

"Yes you should. Come on." my mom said pushing Solomon towards the door.

I stopped my mom.

"What are you doing?" I asked her.

"I'm cleaning house." she said.

"This is wrong. Dad do something." I said to him.

"I can't it's not my business." he said.

"I can't believe you. This is so hypocritical." I said crossing my arm.

She stopped and turned to me.

"What are you talking about hypocritical?" my mom asked.

"You're a lawyer for god sakes. At least a good one. I thought." she said.

She frowned.

"What do you mean?" she asked.

"Don't you fight for justice?" I asked her.

"Yes but human justice." she said.

"Justice is justice. Solomon's father is dying and his half brother is going to assissinate his dad the least you can do is let him visit his dad one last time before the time comes." I said to her.

She looked at me sheepishly and then Solomon. He was frowning his eyes covered behind a glare from his glasses.

My mom sighed.

"Okay. Use the thing." my mom said stepping away.

"Thanks mom." I said to her.

"Thank you very much." Solomon said.

We ran down to the basement. Solomon and I stood beside each other. He touched the door. I saw it turn red and smelt smoke. He looked at me.

"You can't come with me." he said.

"Why not?" I asked him.

"Guardians aren't welcomed and it could be dangerous." he said.

"Solomon, you stuck by my side when I was in trouble why can't I do the same for you?" I asked him.

"He's right." my mom said walking down the stairs.

Solomon dropped his hand at the side even though the door was hot.

"Why can't I help him mom?" I asked her.

"The underworld is a bad place for us guardians. We're hated. That's where all the evil that comes from the earth is sent." she said.

"What if Solomon gets hurt or worst?" I asked her.

Solomon was quiet.

"I don't want you to go there." my mom said.

"Mom, you always told me to protect and serve no matter what." I said looking at the door.

"This is different." she said.

"Is it?" I asked and looked back at her.

I knew I pushed her in a corner.

"I don't want to lose you." my mom said to me.

"I'll be fine." I told her.

"I'll protect her with my life." Solomon said.

"I believe you. Okay. When you go there you'll need to blend in. Your cell phone has a special button." she said.

"The red one you tell me never to touch?" I asked her.

I remembered touching it once and nothing happened.

"Yes, that one should be able to hide your power from the other evils." she said.

Solomon looked back at me.

"Are you really going to come?" he asked me.

I nodded and then looked back at my mom. My dad walked down the stairs followed by Mixie.

"What's going on?" my dad asked. He must've noticed the smoke.

"Come back soon, okay?" my mom asked.

I nodded and then hugged her, my dad and pet Mixie. Solomon had twisted the door open and pulled it. Fire spat out of the door.

Mixie whimpered and hid behind my dad's leg.

"Be careful." my mom said to me.

"I will." I said to her.

"You'll have to hold my hand. The fire's hot but I can protect you until we get through." he said to me holding out his hand.

I looked at it and took it.

We walked in and the door closed behind us.