Black and White Keys

Her

It was sickening.

Tom watched through his dark eyes as the boy next to him lifted himself from the piano seat and walked slowly over to the window. He leaned against the sill and stared out with dazed, caramel eyes.

He was in love.

Tom watched him absently draw small hearts on the window, and his stomach knotted up.

"I just..."

"Like her a lot?"

The younger boy turned around, leaning against the sill. He stared back at Tom, and grinned, nodding once. "Yeah."

Tom nodded back and looked onto the black and white keys under his fingers. It used to be fun working with Alec on new songs, but ever since that girl came to his life... It bothered him so much.

Without lifting his eyes, he spoke three words. "Come sing, Alec."

The brunette tilted his head, but walked back to his shared seat anyway. His legs brushed against Tom, but that didn't affect him in anyway. Little did he know, the other boy was going crazy.

Tom waited for Alec, but when nothing came from him, he looked over to the boy next to him. A grin was on his face as he stared down at the black and white keys.

"Sing, Alec."

He gave a nod, but when Tom started playing, nothing came out. Tom was losing him, he was in another fucking world now. All thanks to that girl.

"Alec!" Tom growled, letting the frustration that was building inside him unleash. "When the fuck are you going to stop thinking about that stupid girl and sing?!"

Alec snapped out of it, and looked at Tom with questionable eyes. But, he bit his lip and nodded, looking back onto the keys.

Tom began to play, and Alec began to sing. But there was something wrong, Tom knew it. So during the chorus, he looked up from the keys and looked at Alec, only to see his eyes closed and tears rolling down his slightly tanned face.

Abruptly, he slammed his fingers on random keys and stopped. "Alec, what's wrong?"

The younger boy bit down on his bottom lip and shook his head. "Play, Tom."

"No. Not until you tell me what's wrong."

Alec stared, hard. "Do you realize your own words?" He asked, without struggling to get the words out of his mouth, even if he were crying.

Tom blinked at Alec, who's eyebrows were furrowed now. He didn't answer, so Alec answered for him.

"They hurt, Tom." The brunette's voice was soft, and he wiped his eye before turning his attention back to the keys.

The older boy took one more moment to look at Alec before he turned and began to play the song again. Alec sung, and there was still something missing.

When they were done, they sat there and stared at the black and white keys. No words were spoken, no sounds came from either of them. A room never sounded so sad.

Finally, Tom spoke. "I'm sorry."

"Mhm..." Alec mumbled. Tom heard clicking and looked up to find the other boy on his cell phone. The tears were gone, but his eyes were red. A smile was on his face.

"You're talking to her aren't you." It wasn't a question.

"...Yeah."

He stared at that goofy smile, sighed, and got up. He walked to the door, but stopped, turning back to Alec, who was busy texting away.

"Alec?"

"Yeah?"

"I wish I could make you smile like that."

Alec paused to take in Tom's words, and looked over at the other boy, confused.

He was gone.