She's Just An All-Around, Cool Person

One.

Jay sits on the mini futon inside her apartment. She’s got her laptop and iTunes is playing her favourite band while she writes her 40-something chaptered story.

A conversation suddenly pops up at the bottom of her AIM screen. Jay is somewhat surprised because she never usually talks to her through instant messaging.

“Hey, J. How are you?” he asks.

“Hi! Me? I’m doing…okay. How about you?” she repeats.

“Eh, not too bad. What’s wrong?”

“Life’s not going as smooth as I’d hoped,” she says.

“Oh. How come?”

“Because you-know-who doesn’t like me back. Gee, when am I going to find the right person?” she asks.

“C’mon, you can’t give up just yet. You’ve got your whole life ahead of you. Please don’t join a convent just yet,” he says.

“What’s that supposed to mean? Do you know someone who likes me?” she says.

By now, all her worries have passed, as she is interested in what he has to say. She lifts up her laptop and coffee and crosses her legs, ready for what he has to take in what he‘s going to say.

“Well, kind of. He’s sort of, you know, right in front of you. God, this is awkward.” You can tell by all the pauses he’s putting in his writing that he’s stuttering. Jay imagines this, and laughs.

“We’ve been friends for life. You can tell me,” she re-assures.

“Well, life is not always what it seems, right? But I have always been seemingly sure of one thing: I want to be with you and that it will never change,” he says.

“…Why?” she asks.

“Hah. Why, you ask? Because you are beautiful, talented, funny, and nice. Hell, I could go on for months as to why I want to be with you. …You can have any guy you want – any – yet… you won’t. But I’m not giving up,” he stops and reads through what he just wrote to check for mistakes. He hesitates before pressing ‘Send’. Here goes…

Jay sits there, flabbergasted. She cannot believe what’s happening, because, truthfully, he was the only one she ever let break down the walls, and now, he wants to be with her.

She replies with a quick, “Okay.” Before logging off completely and going to bed as it is nearly sunrise – her usual sleeping time.
♠ ♠ ♠
It’s short, and I know my writing is mediocre compared to yours, but I thought you needed cheering up because I hate seeing you upset… and me being… me, this is the best way that I can help.

Jay, you have to believe that you will find him – or her, for that matter. You can’t give up, or stop believing, it's just not you.

Don’t let go of being happy with someone else, because it’s there. And if you want it, you can find it and have it.

I don’t know how or when, but it will. I believe in you, and now, it’s time you believe in yourself.