Status: hiatus

You Promised Me the World

Filling Up The Empty Spaces

He saw her at the back of the dusty old venue, the faint house lights full of dull colors catching her exciting features every time they made the trip around. She stood out in a sea of his band’s t-shirts and underage fans, the low cut nature of her tank top made his already racing heart run away from him. Her ink black hair was styled to perfection, teased as high as the poor tresses would let her take them. Tall boots, a faux leather jacket and a pair of skin tight jeans finished off her look, and attracted all of the appropriate and inappropriate attention.

She was a scene rat, plain and simple. The girl who wanted nothing more than to add to her every growing roster, whether that was by sleeping with or befriending band member and even crew. She always stood at the bar or the back of the room, her attention anywhere but the stage because music wasn’t why she was there.

She was a scene whore and Kennedy Brock wanted her.

He had never been so full of lust in his entire life. He could barely focus on the chord changes or when the vocal harmonies were needed. John would shoot a series of glares his way every few seconds, reminding Kennedy to focus on the task at hand and not the girl in the back.

Once their set was finished he raced to find his mystery girl. He pushed and shoved his way through the exiting crowd, hoping that she was still up against the wall. When he reached where he had seen her from the stage, he was met with only a dingy and bare surface. The disappointment surfed through his veins, his mind telling him to forget about her and go home.

It was then that he heard somebody clearing their throat from behind him, causing him to spin around and come face to face with his object of affection. No words were exchanged, only glances and subtle motions towards a subtle exit. She placed her hand in his, dragging his body forward to follow her in silence.

Things had begun to change between Emma and Kennedy. He wasn’t entirely sure what those things were, but he could sense them. He could feel the tug that had always been there between them, the grip that Emma always had over him, loosening. But when his ink blot woman shoved him against the brick wall of a dark, empty space, when her bubblegum colored lips attached to the flesh of his neck, and her snake like fingers slithered underneath his t-shirt, Kennedy forgot Emma Thomas even existed. The sweet and innocent girl he had asked to marry him was a stranger in those moments; it was like he was living a life he should have been living instead of preparing to be a husband.

It was primal, like a lion chasing down a gazelle. All instincts and hands guiding him down a dangerous road. Kissing like he had never had in his entire life, moving from forced and rough to soft and smooth effortlessly. That first night had brought out things Kennedy never knew he had in him. But that first night ended abruptly, far too abruptly for his liking.

Over the next two months Kennedy started to skip practice, bail on hanging out with friends, and made excuses to leave Emma’s side early. He had neglected to begin packing for the big move with his fiancé, or sit down and look at floral arrangements for the wedding. He had better things to do, things he had never done with a woman before. He was using his scene queen, and little by little he snuck around to see her, little by little he began to feel alive, little by little he stopped caring about Emma.

His black and white secret was just there to fill up the empty spaces between a couple who had once held so much.


&&

He parked in the driveway, cutting off the engine and silencing the noisy interior. Boredom was now getting the best of Kennedy, and since he had no girlfriend Garrett’s was becoming the default hangout.

Pulling himself out of the vehicle, he quickly crossed the vast green lawn and pushed open the door he knew would be unlocked.

“Gary!” He called into the empty foyer, slipping the beat up shoes off of his feet.

“In the living room dude,” the voice wafted in from the depths of the house.

Making his way towards the back of the house he could hear voices being hushed, and scolded whispers. Coming around the corner he spotted Garrett and Heather smoothing down their messy hair and straightening their shirts.

Kennedy laughed softly at the sight and rubbed at the back of his neck out of embarrassment. “Sorry, did I walk in at the wrong time?”

“Yeah,” Heather rolled her eyes in annoyance. “You should learn how to knock KB.”

“I’ll remember that for next time Heath.”

“Of course, next time,” she muttered, a displeased look crossing her plump features.

“You’re lucky I didn’t come to movie night last week,” he shot back.

“I think you’re the lucky one,” scoffed Heather.

Plopping down in the large recliner, Kennedy threw a questioned glance at Garrett’s girlfriend.

“Emma and Justin showed up together,” she informed him with a smile.

“Did they?” Kennedy mused, feeling his limbs fill with tension.

“Garrett caught them making out in the backyard.”

“Heather, you really need to learn the concept of a secret,” her boyfriend snapped.

“Oh shut up,” she rolled her eyes. “You would have told him anyway. Besides, she was practically sitting on his lap when they came inside.”

“So are they dating now or something?”

“No,” said Garrett, shaking his heard at his friend. “They’re just friends.”

“Friends who aren’t exactly trying to hide the fact that they’re probably doing it,” Heather added with a smirk.

“Do you really need to start rumors babe?”

Rolling her eyes once more, Heather silenced herself. But it didn’t matter to Kennedy, he had heard enough. His ammunition count was rising.

Garrett immediately changed the subject. “Did you hear about John’s Barbecue?”

“Yeah are you two going?”

“Can’t, I have to work tonight,” Heather shrugged.

“I’ll probably go,” Garrett sighed. “It’s better than doing nothing all night right?”

“Why don’t we go together,” Kennedy suggested.

Heather’s face contorted into disgust. “You really need a girlfriend Kenny.”

“Got a friend you can hook me up with?”

“Keep dreaming Romeo.”

“Anyway,” muttered Garrett. “We can head over together dude, that’s fine.”

If only they had both known then, Garrett would have run the other way in a panic.

They spent another two quiet hours at Garrett’s house before Heather made her usual dramatic exit. Garrett really knew how to pick ‘em, plump and loud with no consideration.

Shortly after Queen Heather’s escape, the two boys got in Kennedy’s car and drove the short distance to John’s beautiful Arizona home.

The typically quiet neighborhood was slowly livening up as more cars filled the driveway or parked along the curb. Kennedy decided on a curb spot, which was always the quickest get away when you needed it, and lately he always seemed to need it.

Before he could put the vehicle in park, the passenger side door flung open with such force, it seemed like it was going to rip off the hinges. Craning to see why Garrett had made such a hasty exit, he spotted them.

The hunched over brunette had his mouth wide open, an affliction that caused him so much grief. His white v-neck practically sparkled in the early evening sun, the dark wash of his jeans blending in with his shoes to make it all seem natural. His eyes were covered by sunglasses, making Kennedy realize that he was dressed the exact same way. This wasn’t his biggest worry however; his biggest worry was the boy trailing behind Halvo.

He should have expected it really, anticipated more than a quick get away. But he hadn’t, he had been far too distracted.

He had a plain black t-shirt on, a simple pair of jeans and fancy shoes, shoes that made Kennedy ill because they made him look sophisticated. You could see his tattoos peeking out from beneath the thin dark cotton, splashing vibrant hues all over his bland exterior.

All of this had Kennedy eager to sucked punch him. This was what Emma wanted; this was the kind of man that she had decided to spend her time on and not him. He couldn’t understand it, Kennedy could be sweet, and he could be caring and quiet. What did Justin have that he didn’t?

His voice of reason was clearly starting to abandon him. He had cheated on her, for two months he slept with another woman. Nobody could forgive and forget such a thing so easily, but for some crazy reason Kennedy wanted…needed that forgiveness.

Maybe it was temporary insanity, the neglect on both ends to tie everything up in a neat little package instead of the mess it had all become. Maybe it was that he had never dealt with it, reflected on what he had done and why he had really done it instead of sweeping it under the carpet. Maybe it was because he was selfish and felt that his broken promise still held some weight. Maybe this…he, was a complete nut job.

Kennedy shook his head from side to side, the quick motion making him dizzy. He pulled the keys from the ignition, popped the door open and slid out into the empty street. He wasn’t crazy, he just wanted vengeance, revenge. He wanted to stop feeling sorry for himself, stop hating himself. He just wanted them to be as unhappy as he was without her.

Making his way around back all smiles and apologies, Kennedy grabbed a red plastic cup that would soon hold his nerves. Eight drinks and fifty conversations later, he stood just on the edge of the crowd planning his attack. He studied the formations, stocked up on ammunition, planned when to strike and when to fall back, or when to abandon the mission. He was ready to make this a day nobody would forget, and that he wouldn’t entirely remember.

In his hazy, intoxicated brain it all made complete sense. In his hazy, lonely state of being, all of this made sense. The war he was raging had to happen, it was just that simple.

He sauntered over, taking care with his steps so that he could stay on his feet. Closing the gap between them, he flashed a smile.

“Halvo, Jbo, haven’t seen you guys in while.”

Eric Halvorsen returned the big smile, hugging his old friend, ignoring the sharp scent of one-too-many-vodka-tonics on his breath.

Justin however, was a little more reluctant. He could sense Kennedy’s intoxication and hostility before he had even reached them. Men could always sense when another man was a little too close to his “territory”. Even if that “territory” had once been overrun by the trespasser coming his way, it was all very cavemen in nature. It made Justin cringe when he thought about it too much. He also knew that the awkward dance Kennedy, Emma and himself were involved in had just begun, and could potentially get a little more unstable at any moment, especially with Kennedy this drunk.

“How are you holding up man?” Eric asked. He was unaware, blissfully unaware that his band mate and old friend took his question the wrong way.

Justin shifted his weight uncomfortably from side to side, while Kennedy smirked into the awful plastic cup. He thought on his approach to the question for a moment, calculating any possible answer and how it fit into his battle plan.

“Well,” he began, breathing in deeply to push out his chest before he exhaled and deflated it like a balloon. “I’m okay dude, could be better.”

Nodding his head, Halvo gave Kennedy an awkward glance. The dramatic sigh coupled with the simple answer, and now the upturned corner of his mouth had the boy confused.

Kennedy ignored the dumb look and cast a quick glance to the boy to his left. “Justin, you look a little uncomfortable man.”

Raising his eyebrow, Justin shook his head. “Uh, no I’m fi-”

“How’s my ex-fiancé doing? From what I hear you two are pretty close now,” he asked, cutting him off.

“She’s goo-”

“Does she still have that black thong; you know the one she likes to wear to bed?”

It was inappropriate and unkind, but this was how Kennedy was going to win the war. He was going to insult Emma just to see how far Justin would go to defend her, and how far under his skin Kennedy could get. Then he would start planting the little seeds of doubt.

“Well, I’m just going to…go away,” Eric mumbled, glancing at a smirking Kennedy and a very angry Justin before he walked away.

“What are you doing Kennedy?” Justin seethed, keeping his voice low to pretend that nothing was happening.

“Nothing,” he shrugged innocently. ”I’m just curious. Seeing if she’s using the same old tricks or if she’s changed her game up.”

“She warned me about this,” the boy sighed, rubbing his forehead gently.

“Oh did she? How nice of her,” Kennedy grinned, his voice dripping with sarcasm.

Letting a short laugh fall from his lips, Justin shook his head. “You’re a bas-”

“And you’re a spineless piece of sh-”

“Shut the fuck up,” he snapped loudly, causing a few heads to turn and look at them.

“Buddha looses his cool, tisk tisk Justin,” the smirk on Kennedy’s face grew even wider knowing he was getting to Emma’s new “boyfriend”.

“Why are you doing this?” he questioned with a shake of his head.

Kennedy could feel his top lip curl up into a snarl. “The same reason you have sex with Emma, because it feels good.”

“I have never had sex with Emma.”

“Right and I am Lady Gaga,” he smirked. “Were you two doing it this whole time, or did she just decide she was ready to actually let you touch her? It took a while for me to get in her pants.”

“Stop,” Justin spat, holding his hand up and closing his eyes. He didn’t want to hear any of this, and he was about ready to punch Kennedy in the mouth for the way he was degrading Emma, but he tried to keep his cool.

Before Kennedy could say anything more he saw her, things were about to get even more interesting.
♠ ♠ ♠
And there you have it, you finally know what Kennedy did to get himself in this mess. I'm sorry that this took so long time to come out with. I have the next three chapters written and the last six mapped out, so it is slowly coming to an end. Thank you for reading this, for your feedback and your subscriptions. I hope you enjoy this chapter!