Status: Internet is back!

The Last Nyxen

Twelve

Today was the day that I was waiting for. I was nervous, to say the least. I knew it was normal, but I think I would have been the most nervous out of everyone coming to Hogwarts. My name was Riddle, for heaven sakes. People were going to judge right when they hear that name. They won’t give me a second glance, I knew that for sure.

I stood in the Gryffindor common room, clad in the Hogwarts uniform. Instead of the crescent representing which house each individual belonged to, I had the Hogwarts crescent. Madam Malkin sent the uniforms to me sometime last month. I sent her a letter thanking her after I had received them. I was now waiting for Harry who was currently taking forever up in his dormitory. Supposedly girls aren’t the only ones who take long getting ready. They haven’t met Harry Potter yet.

“Finally,” I said, exasperated. “I swear, Potter. You take longer than the average American girl.” I smirked as he descended the stairs, giving me a look saying to shut up.

“Whatever, Brooklyn,” Harry said. “You’re just jealous since you can’t look as good as me,” he boasted. I gave an unlady-like snort and started laughing hysterically.
At that exact moment a rather tall lady, dressed in green robes, her black hair drawn into a tight bun underneath the pointed hat, with a severe look on her face, entered the common room. I never noticed her until Harry nudged me on the ribs with his elbow. I looked up, still laughing, to be faced with Professor McGonagall (which I learned from Harry that she was Deputy Headmistress, head of Gryffindor House and the Transfiguration professor) looking at me with a stern face. I coughed loudly and straightened myself out, trying to stop laughing.

“Mister Potter, Miss Riddle, it’s time.” We nodded our heads and followed Professor McGonagall out the common room, through the portrait, and down the Grand Staircase. We were near the entrance hall, in hallway connecting to it, when Professor McGonagall told us to stop. “You two stay here until the students start filing in.” With that, she turned on her heel and walked out of the hallway and into the entrance hall, her robes swishing with every step that she took.

“Oh, Merlin,” I sighed whilst leaning against the wall and sliding down. In a matter of minutes I would be introduced to all the students attending Hogwarts.

“What’s the matter, Brooklyn?” Harry’s voiced echoed throughout the hallway, his feet making noise with each step he took toward me. I exhaled noisily, my head leaning against the stone wall. “Are you nervous?” I nodded as he crouched down to my level.

“I don’t know what’s going to happen,” I told him. “I mean, having the name Riddle comes with consequences.” I looked down and stated tracing the cracks of the floor, softly, with my fingertips. I felt Harry’s hand grab a hold of my chin tugging upwards, so that I was staring at him instead of the floor. He immediately let go when he knew I wouldn’t look down again.

“Everything’s going to be fine. The worst they can do is call you names. Am I right?” I nodded. He was right, in a way. “Plus,” he added. “You could always hex them into oblivion.” He winked at me and stood up. I let out a throaty laugh before standing up myself.

There were voices echoing the entrance hall, along with laughs. Harry peered out towards the entrance hall and motioned, with is hand, for me to come closer. I did and peeked over his shoulder. There were numerous shadows growing bigger as their voices got louder. I stepped back and placed my back against the wall, grabbing Harry’s shoulder so he could do the same. As soon as we were both in the shadows of the hall a large group of students, from ages 12 to 17, started passing us. Their faces were bright and full of life. It was something that made me bubbly inside.

Harry looked at me and then grabbed a hold of my right wrist. He dragged me out to the entrance hall just as the students began filing in the Great Hall to begin the Sorting Ceremony.

“Hiya, Harry.” A sweet calming voice came into the picture. Both Harry and I turned to see a brunette girl walking right behind us in her blue Ravenclaw robes.

“Oh.” Harry sounded a bit surprised. “Hello, Britt. How are you?” He asked, now walking by her side. I was still walking in front of them, not really wanting to interrupt them in any way. Britt was the one who gave Harry that action figure. It was a very peculiar gift. But it was the thought that counted, right?

“This is Brooklyn,” Harry said. I turned around when I heard my name being said. Britt had this genuine smile plastered on her face, with her hand sticking out. I grabbed it and shook it as Harry said, “She’s new to Hogwarts.” I let go of Britt’s hand and gave her a small smile.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, really.” Britt opened her mouth to say something else when she got interrupted.

“Britt,” a girl said, rather sharply. Britt cringed and groaned in frustration, turning around to meet the girl who said it. “What are you doing?” she asked, with repugnance evident in her voice.

“I was talking to my friends, May,” Britt sneered, crossing her arms and looking away from the girl. The girl, who I believed was called May, wore a tedious expression on her tan skinned face, implying that she didn’t have a care for what she was actually doing.

“Well, let’s get going then.” Without giving her a chance to speak, May took Britt’s elbow and dragged her through the crowd of students, somewhat forcefully. May’s curly, reddish-blonde hair swung in its high pony tail as she was rushing to get into the Great Hall. Harry and I stared at each other with confused, yet amused, looks before shrugging off what had just happened and continued walking.

“Hi, Harry,” another girl said. Only this time her voice sounded shy and a bit timid. We both turned around again and we saw a girl with pale skin, black hair and black almond shaped eyes.

“Hi,” Harry said nonchalantly, not bothering to look at her. I saw the girl sigh, bending her head towards the floor, and walk past him.

I looked at Harry confused. “Who was that?” I asked, pointing to the girl who had now disappeared within the horde of students. Harry shrugged, not answering my question right away.

“I guess you could call her my ex-girlfriend. We dated last year, but she was distraught about her ex-boyfriend’s death the year before that.”

“How…?”

“Voldemort killed Cedric Diggory in my fourth year,” Harry said, grudgingly. I bit my lip and averted my eyes to look at the dirty floor. Harry must have known what he had said. “I didn’t mean to bring him up.”

I shook my head and waved my hand carelessly. “It’s okay, Harry, I understand. He’s one evil little bastard.” I giggled.

Harry laughed as we finally made to the Great Hall. I was about to step in when I felt myself being dragged around the corner. I made a small grunt-like noise when I tripped over my two feet and almost fell. I caught myself and stood straight up to see Professor McGonagall. “Professor?” I questioned. “What’s going on?”

“I forgot to tell you, you need to enter with the first years since you still need to be sorted,” she said, leading me down a couple flights of stairs. I nodded my head and walked quietly the rest of the way. We waited for about ten minutes, at the bottom of the stairs before I heard whispers, gasps, and ‘awe’.

It sort of reminded me about my first time exploring Hogwarts. I smiled to myself, looking down, hearing the pitter patter of their footsteps coming closer. A large group of students - first years to be more exact- stopped in front of Professor McGonagall. Some looked timid and nervous whilst others looked quite cocky. I sighed, thinking that nothing will change. For instance, Harry told me that Draco was one of the cocky ones in their first year. I believed it right away. There wasn’t anything that stopped from believing it. Draco is… a confused soul, I guess.

“Welcome, students, to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry,” Professor McGonagall shouted over the whispers of the students. “Here, you will learn how to control your magical abilities and put them to good use.” Professor McGonagall pursed her lips together, forming them in a tight line, before continuing. “But before that, you will need to be sorted. At Hogwarts, we have four houses. They are Gryffindor, Ravenclaw, Hufflepuff,” she paused, “and Slytherin.”

The kids broke into low voices as soon as Professor McGonagall finished speaking. I, too, was excited about all this. I couldn’t wait until we enter the Great Hall and get sorted.

“Now, each of you,” Professor McGonagall began, causing the students to quiet down. “Follow me into the Great Hall to start getting sorted.” She turned to me, “Stay in front of everyone. You’re going to get sorted first.”

I slowly nodded my head, walking a little ways in back of her as she went towards the entrance of the Great Hall. The two doors opened up, emitting a bright, shinning light from the other side. I blinked my eyes a couple of times before they readjusted to the new lighting. I stepped into the Great Hall, after Professor McGonagall walked in, and was met with stares from everyone from all over the Great Hall. At first, I thought they were looking at the first years and me in general. But the more I observed each and every one of their faces, the more I understood that they were all looking intently at me.

My gaze became stuck on Professor McGonagall, not wanting to make eye contact with any of the students. At last, we made to the front of the Great Hall where all the teachers were lined, sitting on the long wooden table. In the middle of table, in between each of the teachers, stood Professor Dumbledore looking tall and proud. He wore a midnight purple robe, and his long, silver beard contrasted against it.

Professor Dumbledore stood with his glass cup in one hand and a spoon in another hand. He gently brought the spoon to the cup which made a small ‘clink’ sound. Almost immediately, the whispers died down and it was dead silent.

“Welcome,” he began. “Welcome to a new year at Hogwarts.” Dumbledore placed the glass on the table and continued to speak. “Before we begin the ceremony, I’d like to say a few words. First years please not that the Forbidden Forrest is strictly out of bounds to everyone in here. Secondly, I’d like to take this moment to introduce to you a new student who will be starting her sixth year.” The whispers began again which got me fidgeting, playing with my fingers and shifting my weight from one foot to the other. Dumbledore looked down at me, his blue eyes twinkling behind his half-moon spectacles, before continuing. “I would like you all to welcome, Brooklyn Riddle.”

A chorus of gasps and sounded throughout the hall when Dumbledore announced my name. I looked down before looking up again. No one said anything else as Professor McGonagall walked towards the sorting hat on the stool in the middle of the room. She lifted the hat up and motioned me to walk towards her. I did, and as I was walking I noticed that it was all too quiet. Nobody made a sound. It didn’t even seem as if they were breathing. I sat down on the stool and Professor McGonagall placed the hat on top of my head. It slid down to my ears, blocking the view of all stares - which I was eternally grateful for.

“Ah,” a voice bellowed in my ear. I jumped in the stool, thinking that everyone heard that. “It’s finally you. I’ve waited a long time for you,” the voice said.

I took in a deep breath, gripping the sides of the stool. You have?

“Why, yes,” the small voice replied. “You are destined to be great, there’s no doubt about that. But where I should put you is the problem.” I sighed before continuing to listen to the small voice. “There’s a thirst to prove yourself, and Slytherin could help you reach immense heights. With Slytherin, people will bow down to you. They’ll be in your power. You could be unstoppable.”

I gripped the stool harder making my knuckles turn white. Don’t put me in Slytherin. I begged the small voice. I didn’t want to be remembered as Voldemort’s evil daughter here. I wanted to be my own person and I knew Slytherin wasn’t going to help me at any chance. But then I thought about the power the voice was talking about. Could I really be in control with Slytherin as my house? Wait I couldn’t. Please, anything but Slytherin.

“If you’re certainly positive since there’s no turning back now.” I panicked a little bit. I didn’t know what he was talking about. “GRYFFINDOR!” he shouted. The hat was lifted off my head and I saw a table full of kids dressed in red and gold standing up and cheering. They clapped loudly as I hopped off the stool and slowly trotted my way towards the table. I went to Harry who stood up and immediately engulfed me in a huge hug.

“Congratulations Brooklyn!” he yelled over the cheering and clapping. I shrugged and let out a small smile.

“Thanks, Harry,” I sighed in relief. “I was afraid I was going to be put into Slytherin.” Harry sat down and brought me down with him. ‘Way to go’s’, ‘Congrats’, and ‘Welcome to Gryffindor,’ were said all throughout the table. I was overwhelmed with happiness as Hermione and Ron gave me a hug.

Wasn’t I just Lord Voldemort’s daughter who everyone was going to hate? That’s what I thought was going to happen. I thought everyone was going to hate me. This was the time that I was actually confused. I looked around at all the smiling, energetic faces before I came into contact with a blonde haired, pale skinned boy who looked angrier than I’ve ever seen him before. He was at the other end of the hall but somehow it felt like he could spot me easily with these hundreds of people sitting down, wearing the same thing. His eyes turned cold and menacing as he stared at me. His knuckles gripped the edge of the wooden table making them turn white in aggression. Draco was furious, yet again, and there wasn’t anything I could do about. I didn’t have a choice of what house the hat put me in.

Yes, you did.I gasped in surprise- in my head- before realizing it was just my inner voice. I had hoped it was Dorthey. I’ve missed her dearly and lately I haven’t been able contact her, and vice versa. I took a deep breath before realizing the Sorting Ceremony was still going on.

“HUFFLEPUFF!” Students from the Hufflepuff table rose to their feet and applauded, while cheering, as a boy who looked smaller for his age rushed to the end of the table. His hair was a dark blond and looked slightly ruffled. His semi-pale skin was a pinkish color when he received pats to his back. He was cute, in the little brother sense.

I watched as the last two kids got sorted- both in Ravenclaw- before I looked down at my still empty plate. At that exact moment, Dumbledore came up to the podium that had now replaced the stool and sorting hat and raise his arms. The podium was wide and tall, maybe standing at 4 ½ feet tall. The texture looked bumpy and the color seemed as if it were solid gold. On top of the podium was a bird-looking statue, a phoenix to be precise. Its wings outstretched the podium seeming as it was about to take flight. Its head was turned away, tucked under the fur of its upper body. It would have looked almost realistic if it hadn’t been for the grayish coloring. Silence filled the hall in a matter of seconds.

“I only have two words for you, Tuck In.” I looked bewildered at him before being nudged by Harry. I sent him a glare but not until I saw the table filled with plates of food. Delicious food. My eyes grew wide in amazement and I immediately grabbed a spoonful of mashed potatoes, placing it on my plate. I ate spaghetti and meatballs, a turkey leg and potato salad. By the end of the feast, I was tired and full. I couldn’t eat anymore. The food, all of a sudden, disappeared and was replaced with all sorts of desserts.

I groaned but decided that I would eat dessert too. I grabbed a treacle tart, eating it peacefully, trying not to let my eyes wander to any of the faces looking at me.

Just as quickly as the feast started, it finished all too soon. The desserts were gone and I was leaning my head on my hands looking towards the podium. Dumbledore was at the podium getting ready to talk.

“Before we send you off to bed, I have a couple of things to say,” Dumbledore announced, his voice booming and echoing off the walls of the hall. “Horrible things are about to happen. They may or may not be within Hogwarts walls, but they will happen. It’s up to us to be ready, no matter how atrocious it may be.”

Everyone, then, broke into soft murmurs as they stood up from their each of their respected tables. Dumbledore didn’t say another word and stepped back from the podium and walked away towards the door in the back of the teachers’ table. He disappeared through the door just as the professors stood up.

I heard the Prefects from the four different houses yell out the same exact thing. “First years, follow me please,” they all said. I got up from the Gryffindor table and followed Harry and Ron who were now talking animatedly about Quidditch. Hermione stayed by my side, hooking her arm around mine.

“So, how do you like Hogwarts so far?” she said casually, walking slower so we wouldn’t catch up to the boys.

I shrugged and looked ahead. “As of right now, I like it. It seems so unreal though.” Hermione looked at me, bewilderment evidently written on her face. I was a quiet for a moment, trying to form the right words. “I guess I can’t believe it,” I started out slowly, still unsure on how I was going to say the right words. When Hermione still didn’t look like she understood, I continued. “Everything seems unreal to me. I have a feeling that I won’t be able to treasure this place and its memories that are going to go along with it.” Hermione seemed to have finally understood what I was saying because she then put her arm around my shoulder and gave me a side hug.

“You’re worrying too much, Brooklyn,” Hermione stated. “And that’s saying something because I’m the one who worries a lot.” I gave a soft giggle and wait for Hermione to finish talking. “You’re going to be here awhile, and that will bring your very own memories. Don’t worry.”

I turned to her and gave her a genuine smile. She smiled back and gave me a complete hug. We were still hugging when we heard a voice yell, “Oi!” We turned our head to see Harry and Ron looking at us from the top of the stairs. “Hurry it up, will you!” Ron yelled, then grumbling something to Harry. Harry shook his head and smiled before turning and walking away. “It’s true!” Ron bellowed, chasing after him. Hermione and I smiled to one another before climbing the last of the steps to the Gryffindor common room.

The Gryffindor common room was filled to the brim with students of all ages. As soon as the portrait swung to a close, it became quiet and each head turned to our direction. Hermione and I noticed right away, but Harry and Ron continued babbling on about Merlin knows what. They started walking towards the boys’ dormitories, the only two still talking, but not before waving at us. “Goodnight Brooklyn, Hermione,” they called out in unison.

Hermione and I were left alone with in the common room with strangers watching us, well, strangers to me, at least.

“Let’s go, Brooklyn,” Hermione whispered, leading me up the stairs to the girls’ dormitory. The strangers’ eyes followed us until we disappeared through the door. Once we were in the room, two girls who were in there looked at us. I was really getting tired of all this staring.

I walked towards my bed as Hermione walked to hers. The two girls got up from the bed they were sitting at and walked towards me. I looked up at them as soon as they stood in front of me. Their arms were crossed and their faces looked arrogant.

“May I help you?” I asked, lifting my right brow and trying to keep the coldness away from my voice.

“We don’t want you here,” a dark-skinned girl said. I looked at him as if they were crazy.

“Well, I don’t think it’s up to you now, is it?” I retorted, placing my butt on top of the red covered bed. The dark-skinned girl glared angrily while her friend looked a bit lost, but still glared nonetheless.

“You aren’t wanted here, you know? Nobody wants the wannabe of You-Know-Who, or whatever they call you.” She stuck her nose up in the air and looked at me as if she was the superior one in the room. I wouldn’t say I was greater than them but I know they weren’t superior either.

“I would watch it if I were you,” I said, standing up and facing them. Her friend shrunk back in cowardliness and took two, big steps backwards, while the dark skinned girl flinched but didn’t move backwards. “I know spells darker than any witch or wizard here, and maybe even your parents. Don’t talk to me like that ever again,” I argued.

The girl was about to say something but Hermione intervened and blocked my view towards her. All I could see was Hermione’s bushy hair.

“That’s enough, Parvati, Lavender.” Hermione was stern and there seemed to be a bit of discretion in there too. She was so good. She had a real heart inside of her. I was grateful that I had met Hermione. She didn’t judge me like everyone else did. Especially dumb and dumber. Parvati and Lavender looked at Hermione and then glared at me.

“You’re actually sticking up for our enemy?” Lavender sneered. Hermione was quiet for a moment. I started worrying after that. Was she really having second thoughts as to befriending me?

“Yes, I actually am. I’m not prejudice, like you, Lavender. I actually give people chances,” Hermione declared. A swell of pride enveloped me as I heard this statement. Hermione did have a good heart. She was one good friend.

Parvati and Lavender stayed quiet then walked away. Hermione turned around and gave me a hug. I hugged her back and whispered, “I thought you were going to abandon me in this hell hole for a moment.”

“Merlin,” Hermione gasped. “I would never. Especially if it involved sharing a room with those two.” She made a gesture towards them.

“Thank you,” I told sincerely.

“No problem,” she shrugged and then nodded. “Let’s get to bed. Classes start tomorrow and we need a good night’s sleep,” Hermione exclaimed, trotting away. I giggled and rolled my eyes. Only Hermione could be excited for the first day of classes.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ah, I decided to cut this chapter short. It was going to be a bit longer but I didn't want to overdue it. And yes, I am still alive. I forced myself to finish this chapter before a whole month passed by.
High school is crazy! I'm super busy, or when I'm not, I'm super tired. It's not fun. But high school is getting better.

The thing that keeps me happy is knowing I have you guys who read and comment my storries. :D Oh, Crongrats to Britt who made a cameo in this scene! Haha.

I want you guys to do something for me, and I want you to be completely honest. Can you answer these questions for me when you comment the story?
-What's one thing you hate, or dislike, in this story?
-What's one thing you love?
-Does my writing sound mature enough?

I would like it if you answered these questions and any other feedback is greatly appreciated. I want to join the Literary Magazine at my school but I want to know how good my writing is.

Thanks for reading. I'm not sure when the next part will exactly come out.

-Bianca Nadine