A Sin At School

A Sin At School

We were all in danger and we knew it. Our questions were unanswered and our answers were always questioned. We thought we were safe, we really did, but everything just came crashing down on us. We had no where to turn too. Everywhere we went there they were. It was like some sort of trap and they were waiting to catch the bait. We were the bait.

It was an ordinary day today, but what exactly was ordinary? I didn’t know but who does these days? I walked to school feeling my skin crawl. My stomach was doing flip flops as I kept walking. It was a feeling I never felt before and I didn’t like it. Something was going to happen today. Whether it was good or bad, I knew something was going to happen. As I entered the school a cool wind surrounded me. It was a feeling of safeness but when are we safe? I walked to my locker expecting to find my best friend Kylie, but she wasn’t there. I thought nothing of it and went to 1st period thinking she was there. As I walked to through the hallways towards my class, I bumped into someone. He wore a black coat and looked very suspicious. His face was covered by hat and all I could see was a giant shadow. My heart dropped to the pit of my stomach. It started beating faster and faster. Something was going to happen. It was coming closer. The time was nearer.

“Ms. Anderson!” I heard my teacher Mrs. Everson yell at me. “Get into class this instant!” I looked around me and sure enough the halls were empty. I turned to her and gave her an apologetic smile.

“I’m sorry Mrs. Everson. I didn’t even hear the bell ring.” I past her and walked into the room. Mrs. Everson was an elderly woman. She had wrinkles on her face and her lips her in a tight line. Her brown hair, that matched her brown eyes, was now turning into a slight gray tint. She would wear floral gowns and always have her hair in a tight bun.

I looked around the room hoping to see Kylie but no luck. I felt a pair of eyes burning a hole in the back of neck. I turned around to see no one behind me. I could have sworn someone was staring at me. I turned back around and saw Mrs. Everson looking at me with a worried glance.

“Madeline, are you ok?” She asked me. Her voice was so gentle and caring. This is what I loved about her.

“Yeah, I’m ok,” I answered her and walked to the back of the room and took my seat. I could feel my classmates stare but when I looked at them they weren’t looking at me. They were paying attention to board ahead of them. I looked at the door once more and faintly saw a silhouette of a person. I immediately thought it was the same person who I thought was watching me, but when I blinked a couple of times it vanished.

It was now lunch time and I haven’t seen Kylie anywhere. Maybe she stayed at home today. I really was worried about everything. I placed my tray of food on one of the cafeteria tables and plopped down on the seat. I started playing with my food not really getting an appetite. I looked up and around the cafeteria. All these students seemed happy and alive. I couldn't be like them because of this dark feeling I had. My heart started beating in a fast pace as I saw the same guy in a black coat leave the cafeteria. I wanted to follow him but was it safe? I knew something was going on with him but my feet just started moving. My feet started following him. It seemed like they had a mind of their own. I just couldn’t seem to stop. As I rounded a corner of a murky and dark hallway, a loud beeping erupted from the fire alarm. It pierced my ears as the noise grew louder and louder. A faint echo emitted from the hallways speaker.

“This is not a drill. Get into the nearest classroom now!” It was the principal, Mr. Matsui. He sounded panicked making me jump. The hallway I was in had no classrooms. I barely noticed though, that this was an abandoned hall. Fear was written all over my face as I darted out of that hallway. I finally made it into the brightly lit corridor but that didn’t stop me from being tense. I started shaking and goosebumps started to form on my skin. I scampered to nearest classroom and sealed the door shut. The class was lightly dimmed and had an uncomfortable feeling to it. There weren’t many kids in here. There were only 4 students and no teacher. They all looked frightened.

I took a deep breath trying to relax but it didn’t work. That feeling I had this morning never vanished and now it was ten times worse. The feeling I had deep within me this morning was nothing compared to what I felt now. I quickly stepped away from the door and towards the teacher’s desk. I hopped on it and started thinking. Everything happened to fast today. Is this the end of all of us? What exactly is going?

That question was immediately answered. The door knob started shifting. It made a rattling noise causing the other students to look up in alarm. I just realized that I never locked the door. I got off the desk and quickly ran to the entry. It wasn’t quick enough though. The door opened but it was just a shadow standing in the door way. I took a step back thinking anything but happy thoughts. This was it for me; I knew everything was coming to close. I was up against the wall now, but the shadow didn’t move near me. The shadow walked farther in and I saw that it was Mrs. Everson. I let out a breath I didn’t even knew I kept in.

“Are you kids alright?” Mrs. Everson asked us as she walked fully into the room. There were a couple of yes’s in the room but other than that it was dead quiet. “Well, come on kids, we have to go.” She ushered everyone out the door. I was the last one to go but before I even got 5 feet towards the door it slammed shut. I jumped almost 50 feet off the ground. I started banging, yelling, trying to get anyone’s attention but I didn’t succeed. I took a step back and at that same time the door opened. I thought I was saved but I looked more closely and saw that it was the guy in the black coat. My eyes got wide and I screamed. I didn’t mean to but it just came out.

The rumors around the school were true then. Someone was that sick to do this to innocent people, kids in high school to be exact! The person pushed me and I fell backwards landing on the hard tile floor.

“Ouch!” I yelled out in pain as I landed on my hand. It didn’t feel broken but it was in so much pain. My heart started beating fast as he approached me. I tried moving backwards but I couldn’t move at all. I was stuck there. The person reached up and I screamed again. It looked like he was going to asphyxiate me but instead he went for his hat. He took it off and my stomach dropped letting a thousand butterflies fly around it.

“Kylie?” I looked at her in disbelief. Was she really doing this to me? Was she the one that was apart of the rumor? I tried getting up but an excruciating shot up from my leg. I yelled in agony and saw blood slowly trickle out of an open gash just above my ankle. I looked up at Kylie expecting her to help me but instead I saw a black shimmering gun in her right hand. I gulped hard. My breathing came out low and shallow.
“Good bye Maddie, once and for all.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked it. This was a suspence story I had to do for my English Class.