Sugarcane In The Easy Morning

The One and Only.

“Ryan, give it back!” I laughed while trying to get my homework in English.

“Not unless you give me mine!” He poked his tongue out to me while holding my homework up high. I knew I couldn’t reach it.

I crossed my arms. “George Ryan Ross III, you give me my homework back or else.” I managed to threaten.

He gasped. “You didn’t call me—“

“Problem, George Ryan?” I teased.

His mouth curved into a smirk I never wanted to see. “Well what’s your problem, Kelsey Charlotte Ross?”

“What did you call me…?”

“What’s the matter, Kelsey Charlotte? Irritated that I called you by your whole name?”

That’s when I started to chase him around the house.


It’s been years since I haven’t seen him. I moved to Maryland after I graduated high school. He never said goodbye to me. He wasn’t with Mom and Dad when we were waiting for my flight at the airport. I know the reason why: he didn’t want to see me go. He didn’t want to see his little sister go to another place without telling him the reason behind that.

I knocked on his bedroom door. “Ryro? Mom and Dad are taking me to the airport… come with us.”

“No.”

I frowned. “Ry? Y-you don’t want to come?”

He didn’t say anything.

I opened his door quietly as I could. I slid inside his room and closed the door without a sound. He was lying face down on his bed, not moving. Ryan was still in his pyjamas.

I walked over to his bed and sat on the edge. “Ry? Why don’t you want to come? You promised me that you’ll come with,” I whispered.

He didn’t respond. I assumed he didn’t hear me.

“Ry?” I said a bit louder.

He sat up and sighed. He ruffled his hair and mumbled, “I-I just can’t, Charlie. I’m sorry.”

I puzzled. “Wh-what? Ryan, you promised me! You promised me that you’ll come with Mom, Dad and me to the airport! Why would you do this, Ry?” I said, tears running down my face.

“No, why would you do this to me, Charlie? We promised we will never leave each other. We promised we will protect each other from anything. We promised that whatever happens, I’ll be your big brother and you’ll be my little sister. But Charlie, you’re… leaving me? Why? You said you’ll explain to me someday why you were gonna leave but that someday never happened! You never told me why you were going to Maryland!” He cried.

I was caught off guard. I forgot to tell him why I was going to Maryland.

“Ryan, I’m so—“

“Save it, Charlie. I don’t want to hear the lame excuses you’ve stored.”

My eyes widened by his remark. He doesn’t want me to say sorry? But why?

“Charlotte, time to go, dear!” Mom called.

I sighed. “Guess this is goodbye,” I whispered.

He didn’t say something.

I closed my eyes and breathed heavily. I reached for my jacket pocket, took out a letter that I wrote for Ryan and left it on his desk.

I pursed my lips. I walked to his door and held onto the doorknob for a second, and went out. I stood outside his room for a while, crying silently. “Goodbye, Ryro.”


I paid the taxi driver and thanked him and got out of the cab. I stood in front of my old house, luggage in hand. I didn’t know if it’s the right thing to do.

I sighed and walked towards the house. I knocked on the door thrice and my Mom greeted me. “Charlotte! It’s so nice to see you again!” And of course, like any mother would do, she hugged me too tight. She pulled away and I smiled. “Come in, come in,” she urged.

I went in the living room and sat on the couch. “This place never changed,” I said, looking around. Family pictures were still on the wall, Mom’s bookshelf in the corner, me and Ryan’s—

“Ryan! Your sister is here!” Mom called Ryro.

He came downstairs and saw me. His eyes widened. “This can’t be true,” he whispered.

“Oh! Look at the time; I must go to my book club. I’ll see you two later. Have a fun time, Charlotte!” And Mom went out the door. Wait, Mom? In a book club? Wow, I was missing out too much.

Silence was filled in the room. I shifted uncomfortably and remained silent. I couldn’t take the awkward silence, so I blurted out, “Ryan, I’m sorry I broke my promise.”

Silence.

“Guess silence is what I deserve,” I mumbled and looked down at the caramel carpet.

Silence.

I jumped when I heard thunder rumbling outside and rain started to pour. Minutes passed when the lights went out. Ryan cursed under his breath.

I sighed. “I just thought I’d drop by and check on you and Mom. I’ll go now,”

I stood up and slung my bag on my shoulder and grabbed my suitcase. I walked out the door and into the pouring rain. I didn’t look back to see if Ryan was watching me walk out the door under the heavy rain. Tears started to run down my ivory cheeks. I thanked that it was raining because I don’t want anyone to see that I was crying.

“Charlie!” Ryan’s voice came from a distance. I didn’t look back.

“Charlotte! Wait up!” His voice sounded a lot different, and nearer. Just as I turned around, he was right there. He was still the same. He didn’t change at all. He was still the same Ryan I knew.

“Charlie,”

“Ryan? What are you doing out here?” I asked calmly. Then I snapped, “A-are you out of your mind?! You could get sick! Go home, Ry!”

“No! I won’t go home! Not without you, Charlie. You come home with me, now.” Then he grabbed my free hand and dragged me back home.

“What the— Ryan! Let me go! I-I have to go to—“

He suddenly stopped and looked at me. “Where, Charlie? Where are you going?”

I hesitated to answer him. He’s right. Where was I going? Of course, my old friends won’t remember me anymore, so I can’t possibly go to their house. A hotel? I have enough money right now. Motel? I don’t think so.

“Well?”

I closed my eyes. “Nowhere,” I whispered.

When we got back, we showered and changed into dry clothes. We were sitting in the kitchen, drinking hot chocolate like we used to.

“I never got a chance to talk to you ever since you left,” Ryan started.

I nodded.

“So, what happened when you were in Maryland?”

“Actually, the reason behind me leaving for Maryland is because Mom and Dad want me to go to University there. I don’t know why of all places, Maryland is what they chose. I wanted to stay here, but they made me go. Honestly, I didn’t want to break the promise, but I’m really sorry.”

“It’s okay. I read the letter you left on my desk. When I saw you guys leave, I got out of bed and read the letter. I cried when I didn’t make my promise to you that day. It was eerie, but I managed to get through anyway. And every time I pass your room, I remember you singing in there, Charlie.”

A tear fell out of my eye and I hugged him. “I missed you so much, Ryro.”

“I missed you so much too, Char.”

I pulled away. “So, you have a girlfriend?” I giggled.

He laughed. “No, not yet.”

“Aww man! I thought you have one already because a lot of girls are chasing you!” I laughed.

“Wait, you know?”

“Know what, Ry?” I puzzled.

“That I’m in a band and a lot of girls are chasing me?”

“Oh… OH! Yeah, that. Well, yeah. ‘Course I do, silly. I watch MTV everyday, you know.” I poked my tongue out to him.

He chuckled. “Well, how ‘bout you? Have any boys chasing after you?”

“Well…”

“Well?”

“I… err… have a… fiancée to be exact.” I blushed.

Ryan spit out his hot chocolate and his eyes wide at me. “WHAT?!”

“I’m sorry, Ry! He proposed three weeks before I came here.” I held up my hands in defense.

“Get up,” He instructed.

“What? Wh—“

“Just do it, Charlie,”

And I did. What he did next surprised me.

He hugged me and I hugged back minutes after he did. “I knew you’d find your boy one day.” He whispered.

I smiled, knowing that my brother accepted me getting married.

“Thank you so much, Ryro.”
♠ ♠ ♠
First time to write a PATD fanfic.

Anyway, I decided to make a One-Shot for Ryan Ross. Patrick Martin told me last night about Ryan leaving PATD. I was depressed, actually. So, I procrastinated my project which is due next week, and decided to make this.

Enjoy. :) Comments, please. :D

xoxo -camille.