Are You Sure This Is My Life We Are Talking About?

chapter four.

Sara looked at Dante` and noticed the blush on his cheeks. “I’m sorry,” he said softly, quickly backing away, and into his seat again.

“It’s alright,” she said, her mind reeling at what just happened. Her first kiss, and a Starbuck’s employee has to come in and stop it. But than again, it would have went from first kiss to something else quickly if she hadn’t interrupted. Sara looked over at Dante` again. He was avoiding her gaze, looking anywhere but at her.

Damn, this kid needs to stop getting so fucking embarrassed over everything. I mean, I’m the one who just had their first kiss, not him. Sara thought.

He was way too good of a kisser for it to be his first kiss. Besides, he was 19 and had a superhuman sex-drive. Sara doubted he was a virgin.

“Would you look at me?” Sara said, a tinge of annoyance creeping into her voice.

Dante` looked up at her. Sara became curious when she noticed his eyes held a little fear in them.

“What’s wrong?” Sara asked, softer this time.

His face scrunched up in puzzlement. “You aren’t mad?”

“At what, Dante`?”

“At the fact I wanted, almost did, take you right here, in public.” He said quietly, so quietly Sara could barely hear him.

“Yeah, well, that part wouldn’t have been the most ideal thing in the world. But, besides that, no, and I could have told you ‘no’ had you gone any further.”

He sighed. “I’m sorry, I have a hard time controlling myself. It is usually easier for me, but you are mine, and my ‘instinct’ or whatever you want to call it, is saying something a whole lot different from my brain."

Sara nodded. “Then that would make two of us,” she grinned. Ok, so it was a little white lie, sue her. She wanted to make him feel better, and she did like him, so far. And she did want him, who wouldn’t after looking at him? But Sara didn’t really want him, want him.

He perked up a little at her comment, but otherwise looked the same, cautious. “We should probably leave.”

“Ok,” Sara said.

_____

They made it back to Sara's house and went inside to find her parents waiting for them. They looked expectantly between Sara and Dante`, not wanting to ask how it went, but sure as hell wanting to know.

“It was fine,” Sara said, rolling my eyes at the look on their faces.

They looked a little relieved, and that’s when it hit her again. She was getting married. She was moving out of the house she had lived in for 6 years. She was getting a new last name. She was getting a husband. She was leaving my parents. They were giving her up, and it was hurting them. They didn’t know if she was happy or not, if she was ok with this little shindig of theirs. They didn’t know if she was mad at them or not for this.

“I suppose I’ll be leaving now, I’ll see you tomorrow Sara.” He nodded good bye to her.

“Wait a second, where are you going?” Sara asked.

“I’m staying at a hotel in town. I can’t stay here because your younger sister cannot know anything about our… arrangement.”

“Speaking of which, Mari should be back soon from softball practice.” Sara's dad spoke up.

“Mari,” She whispered, something clicking in her head. “Mari is a vamp too, isn’t she?” It made sense in her mind, if she was, Mari was; they were sisters.

“No, for some odd reason her DNA is human. Only the faintest trace is vampire, and not enough for it to do anything.” Dante` said.

“How do you know this?” Sara asked.

“My father wanted to know the same thing you did when he found out your mother was pregnant again. He didn’t sense it, and neither do I now.”

Sara nodded, taking this in. “So, what are we going to say to the family? I’m leaving, we have to explain that somehow.”

Dante` nodded. “My family has that covered. We have to forge many things to live in the world without age escaping notice. You will be receiving a full ride scholarship tomorrow in the mail to Oxford. While it is forged, if you would like to actually attend, we can also arrange that. It will say in the letter that they want you to attend a summer class before you start, meaning you will need to leave for England within the week. When they ask, and they will, you will say that you sent in a story you had written, but you didn’t tell anyone because you didn’t think you would get the scholarship. Your writing is why you have gotten in, and I must say, it was very good thing that you graduated high school a year early, or your leaving would have been much harder to arrange.”

Sara looked around at everyone, taking in their expressions. She couldn’t believe this, this time next week, she would probably be in England.