The Happiness I'm Fakin'

Chapter Six

Image

The last two days since the incident have been pretty...quiet. Bam and I haven't been talking much. Danny won't leave me alone...as usual. Novak won't shut up about how many times he's been laid since the trip began. And Jessica couldn't be more annoying, in my book.
Bam, Novak, and Jessica were heading back to West Chester in Bam's Hummer and Danny and I were following right behind them in his Jeep. I sat quietly as Danny kept bad talking Bam.

He paused for a moment as he braked at a red light. He looked at me but I looked away. "Is something wrong?" He asked.
"I just don't feel well..."
He reached over to my forehead and placed his palm on it. "You don't have a fever?"

Obviously! I thought.

After the long, annoying ride back home, we finally arrived at Bam's place. I reached over to open the door but it was locked. I waited for Danny to unlock it but he didn't.

"Hey, what'd you say we head back to my place?" He reached over to me and rubbed my neck."Hmmmm? You wanna?" He tried to seduce me.
"I-I don't know. I mean we just got back home." I tired to decline his offer.
"Yeah but...you haven't stayed over in a while and you already have your bags packed. So why not?" He asked.
I pulled on a fake smile."Well...you DO have a point there, don't you." I half smiled.
"Sooo? What'd you say?" He asked happily.
I just smiled at him.
And then out of no where came Don Vito? He banged hard on my window and I jolted up. I gave him an amused look as he started to ramble on about something.

"Wuddahell yhews doin' Imma comin' in ashbba! H-H-Hurrry the fudup!" He yelled.
"Vito!" I yelled back trying to get him to calm down.
"Stuppidjess....YO!" He yelled back.
"Shut up!" I yelled at him.
"Bam saida get chu!"
"Okay! I'm coming in! Shut up!"

He then left as he continued to ramble on about God knows what.

I turned my head around to Danny. "We better go in...before Vito comes back." I told him with a smirk as I unlocked my door and let myself out.
When we got in Bam and Novak were throwing their things back in their rooms...literally. I told Danny I'd be right back as I left him upstairs. In the process of 'unpacking' Bam looked at me and asked where my stuff was so that he could throw it in my room.

"I left it in the jeep."
"Why?" He asked.
"I'm gonna stay the night at Danny's."
He gave me a strange look and looked back down to the floor. "You leaving now?" He asked.
"No, in awhile." I told him.
"Oh, alright. We're gonna puts some stuff on the grill. You stayin' for it?" He asked as he stepped inside his room.

He quickly pulled his shirt over his head and grabbed a cleaner one and pulled it on. I don't know why, but I couldn't help but look. This weird feeling came over me I can't even begin to explain it. I felt like-

"Are you?" He broke me out of my trance.
"Uh . . . yeah."
"Okay. . ." He just stared at me. "Um. . .I'll tell Dunn to pick up some veggie burgers for you on his way over."
"Okay."

The barbecue is going well. We're all sitting around a camp fire under the night sky, melting marshmallows and just talking.

"Noooo!" Dico yelled at his marshmallow as it burned and fell off his stick.
"Haha! Bran!" Bam yelled out to him.
"Why does it always have to happen to me?!" Dico yelled out to the sky.

Everyone got a laugh out of that. Then April came outside.

"Ape!" Bam yelled out to his mom. "When'd you get here?!"
"We just came."
"Hey Ape! Where's Philly!?" Ryan asked.
"Phill's at home!"
"Wha!?" Ryan yelled back.
"Phill's at home!" She yelled louder
"Why?" Bam asked as she got closer.
"Cause he was tired. Your dad was out the whole day repainting the shed."
"What are you burning!?" Ape spazzed.
"Wood! Haha! com on Ape!" Chris told her.
"Yo! Yo! Yo! Fuckers!" Jess said coming out.
"Jess!" Ape yelled.
"Sorry Mom." He smiled at her.
"Hey Jess!" Everyone greeted him.
"Hey guys!" Jess said as he ran over to me and hugged me close.
"How've you been?" He asked as he sat next to Danny and I.
"I've been good! How're the girls and the baby boy?" I asked.
"They're great! Ava's inside. She wanted to come see you." He chuckled.
"INSIDE? Why isn't she out here?"
"She got so excited when I told her I was coming over, so she ran out not even realizing she had to pee. So as soon as she got here she ran to the bathroom." He laughed.
"Awww!"
"I better go check on her." Ape said.

It thought it was so cute how Ape got up in a hurry to check on her granddaughter. Then I thought how lucky Ape was. She found the love of her life, had two great kids and three of the cutest grandkids. And she loved them all so much. This family may be a little crazy. . .but they're so fortunate to have each other. I may act like never having a mom and my dad not being around much didn't bother me, but I would love to have a husband who loves me. . .and kids to love one day. Just the thought of having someone to grow old with, to have anyone there with me. . .is a great feeling. I hope to be as happy as her one day.

While in my thoughts Ava ran up to her uncle and gave him a huge hug. I watched Bam as he wrapped his niece in his arms and hugged her close to him. He gave her a little kiss on her tiny cheek and she did the same only she slobbered on his face.

"Heeey Cookie!" He called her by her nickname.
"Hi Bam!" She yelled in her tiny voice.

Bam laughed at her saying his name, as did everyone else. It was just too cute. I couldn't take my eyes off them. Bam was so great with his nieces and nephew. He treated them like they were his own. Suddenly Ava's little head turned to my direction.

"Amber!" She gushed at me
"Ava!" I did the same.

She came running over to me with her arms open.

"How are you sweetie!" I asked her as I sat her down on my lap.
"Gewd." She smiled as I brought a newly melted marshmallow to her mouth. "Mmmmmm!" She loved marshmallows.

Not even a half hour later Danny was ready to go. I couldn't tell him I didn't want to. He did look a little tired and he was happy when I told him I'd stay over his place. I smiled at him and got up. After saying bye to everyone except Bam and Jessica, who were nowhere in sight, Danny and I made our way out.