Status: Active :)

Green Eyes

33

The sunlight lit up the room, seeping through my closed eyes. I let out a quiet yawn, stretching my hands in the air to release the tension in my body. I heard a chuckle beside me and I felt a small smile dance across my lips, and I became consciously aware of the muscular arm draped across my stomach. I went to push it off only to have it wrapped around me tighter, and without even having to look I knew his green eyes would be twinkling with laughter. ‘Bloody vampires and their super strength’ I muttered quietly, letting out a huff and settling back into the blankets.

I let out a squeal as Zacky rolled over so that he was pinning me to the bed, his teeth toying with the metal of his snakebites. He smirked at me as I wiggled underneath him, in an attempt to get out. Zacky laughed and leant down to place a kiss on my lips, nuzzling my nose with his. He pulled away and I pouted at him, wiggling again under his grip. ‘Rape!’ I screamed, and Zacky narrowed his eyes at me. ‘Help! Zacky’s rapi-‘

I was cut off when Zacky placed his hand over my mouth, glaring at me playfully. ‘Zacky, don’t make me kick your ass!’ came a call from downstairs, and I laughed when I recognised the voice of my best friend.

The door slammed open and Jimmy came running in, a desperate look on his face. ‘Never fear, the Jimmy-man is here!’ he called dramatically, before diving on top of Zacky who had a creeped-out look on his face. I started laughing at the look on Zacky’s face, and the sight of toilet paper hanging out of Jimmy’s shirt in a cape-like fashion.

‘Save me Jimmy-man! Save me!’ I pleaded, wiggling my arms desperately. Jimmy struck a pose before he pushed Zacky off the bed, and I let out a squeal when I was lifted into his arms.

‘Is this the part where the girl kisses the hero?’ Jimmy asked teasingly, wriggling his eyebrows suggestively.

‘What the hell is wrong with you Jimmy?’ Zacky growled, walking over to us. ‘Don’t you have a baby to kiss? And why the hell do you have toilet paper hanging out the back of your shirt?’

Jimmy pouted, handing me to Zacky. ‘It’s my cape, party-pooper’ he scoffed, and with a dramatic flick of the head he stormed out of the room, his head held high in the air.

‘That’s the last time I save you, Kayla-bear!’ he called out, and I could hear him stomping down the stairs. ‘Next time you’re going to have to wait for Batman, and he doesn’t even have super powers!’

I laughed quietly, shaking my head. I felt Zacky’s gaze on me and I looked up to meet his glare, and I found myself laughing again. ‘So,’ I said, breaking the tension. ‘What’s on the agenda today, my favourite green-eyed monster?’

Zacky smiled slightly at the name, and I watched as his vibrant green orbs suddenly lost all colour and life. ‘Zacky?’ I murmured quietly, reaching my hand up to caress his face. ‘What’s wrong?’

Zacky leaned into my touch, and he closed his eyes as if revelling the feeling. Silence ripped through the tense air, and I brushed my thumb against his cheek, tilting my head to the side. I couldn’t stop the rush of emotions that rattled me at the sight of him so scared, and I felt my heart begin to slow down in my chest, feeling a sinking feeling form in the pits of my stomach.

‘They’re coming.’

The words were said so quickly and quietly, that I wasn’t sure if I had heard them right. I felt my fingers fall from his face and his eyes snapped open, staring at me with such fear and compassion that I felt the need to take it away, to bring the light back to his eyes.

‘So we fight them. We do what we did before, I mean, they can-‘

‘There’s hundreds of them. Thousands maybe. A whole army of people that have been training with Vercro, just so they can get you. And they’re not afraid to kill anyone in the way.’

My heart stopped beating, my breath caught in my throat. My blue eyes were opened wide, and for the first time in ages, I felt a rush of fear enter my body, pulsing through my veins like a burning fire. And suddenly I was terrified, and I wanted nothing more than to bury myself in the sheets of my bed and stay there and wait for it all to end, staying in a place where I was safe. But I knew I wasn’t safe. They wanted me, and they weren’t going to stop until they had me.

‘Hand me over’ I said quietly, not meeting his eyes. I couldn’t stand the thought of people dying for me, under any circumstance. I was simply one person, one life, while heaps more were on stake. And they weren’t just any lives, they were the lives of people I loved. People that had protected me from everything, and yet, I was putting them in danger.

Zacky let out a growl, his eyes flashing a murderous deep red. ‘Don’t you dare say that, Kayla. Don’t even think of it.’

A tear dropped down my cheek, and I struggled to keep the rest sustained. ‘I don’t want you all to die. I couldn’t live with that. Besides, I’m probably going to die anyw-‘

‘Don’t say that’ he growled, shaking his head. ‘You’re not going to die. None of us will. We may not have as much support as them but we’re definitely stronger, and we can put up a fight.’

‘Can we run? Maybe if we leave now, we can get as far as possible’ I tried desperately, feeling the warm feelings flooding from my body.

Zacky shook his head, bowing it slightly. ‘No. We don’t have time. They’re coming today, and we either stand and fight them, or we submit to them and die. There’s no other choice, and our decision’s already made.’

The tears started escaping before I could stoop them, flowing down my cheeks at a rapid rate, my heart feeling like it was exploding from my chest. Zacky frowned, his eyes taking on a pained look, and he pulled me into his arms, resting his chin on top of my head and pulling me close, rubbing comforting circles on my back. ‘We have to say goodbye’ he said quietly, as if it hurt him to say it.

I pulled my head away, frowning at him. ‘Goodbye? Why?’ I whispered, my heart beginning to hurt at the word.

Zacky frowned, wiping the tears away from my cheeks gently. He leaned forwards and placed a kiss on my lips, lingering there slightly as if savouring the taste. ‘You’re going to stay here when we fight, so you can be safe. Kaylee’s going to protect you-‘

‘No!’ I almost shouted, shaking my head. ‘No! I’m not going to say goodbye! I’ll come with you! Please, I don’t know what I’d do if you never came back! Please Zacky, please!’

The door opened and the others came flooding in, surrounding me on the bed. I shook my head, looking at each one of them, growing more and more anxious with the sympathetic looks on their faces. ‘No’ I whispered, the tears streaming down my cheeks.

In a second Matt was beside me, scooping me up into his arms. I curled into his chest and let out a cry, pulling on his shirt. ‘Matty, don’t go’ I sobbed, hugging him closer. ‘Don’t go.’

I felt a hand caress my cheek and I looked up to see Brian staring at me sadly, a weak smile on his face. ‘We love you, Kayla, but we have to keep you safe. We’ll be coming home, babe. We won’t leave you behind.’

‘I don’t want you to die’ I croaked, and Brian shook his head sadly.

‘We won’t die. Are you forgetting who you’re talking to, Kayla?’ he teased weakly, his usually vibrant chocolate orbs now sad and dull.

I heard a wail and I looked up to see Jimmy, tears streaming down his cheeks. ‘Kayla-Bear!’ he sobbed, launching himself into my arms. I fell backwards into Matt’s arms, letting out a weak chuckle.

‘Jimbo,’ I whispered, rubbing his head comfortingly. ‘You’ll always be my favourite superhero.’

Jimmy let go, backing away, and for once I could see that his eyes weren’t playful. The tears weren’t in good-spirit, they were real. And I could see that he was terrified.

‘Hey girl’ I heard from beside me, and I looked up to see a grim Maddy staring at me.

My eyes widened, allowing a few more drops of tears to fall, and I shook my head defiantly. ‘You’re staying aren’t you?’ I said quietly, refusing to believe anything else.

Maddy smiled weakly and shook her head, and I let out a sob. For the first time since I had met her there were now tears forming in the corners of her eyes, and I could see her struggling to push them away. ‘I love you, girlie’ she said softly, her grey eyes taking on a pained look. ‘And I’ll be safe, you know I will. I’ll kick those vampire’s asses so hard that they’ll never even look at you again.’

‘You can’t go’ I cried, hugging my arms around myself. ‘You’re my best friend, I love you.’

Maddy frowned and squinted her eyes, and I knew it was in an effort to push her tears away. ‘They’re after you Kayla. Hell, they’ve kidnapped you before, and I didn’t even know! You remember what I said when we met? Do you remember?’

‘I’ll always protect you’ I whispered, tears falling down my cheeks.

She smiled and reached out to me, giving my hand a squeeze. ‘And that’s what I’m gonna do, Kayla. You know I don’t break my promises. It’s been over 10 years and I haven’t broken one yet.’

I looked at her through tear-stained eyes, trying to think of a way to make her stay. I couldn’t bear to lose her; she had been with me for my whole life and she had been there for me through every hard moment I’d ever experienced. She was there through the laughter, the tears, she was my shoulder to cry on, my protector, the person I knew I could turn to with anything. She was more than my best friend, she was my sister, and I knew that if I lost her my life would never be the same.

I watched as a tear fell down her cheeks, betraying her will. I couldn’t help the small, wobbly smile that formed on my face as I reached up to wipe it away, causing her to squint slightly. ‘Is it bright in here, or is that just me?’ she said, her voice once more betraying her by breaking.

I shook my head slightly at her before throwing myself into her arms, wrapping my thin arms around her small waist. I squeezed her as if my life depended on it, letting out small sobs that I was too weak to keep in. I felt a few tears drop on my head, and I knew she was no longer trying to fight them.

She pulled away and smiled weakly at me, before stepping back, and pushing me lightly onto the bed. ‘I’ll make sure to kick their asses for you, Kayla. What’s his name again, Landon? Layton? Well, whoever he is, he’s got another thing coming. He should have known that you hurt my girl, you get introduced to the back of my fist.’

I laughed softly, giving her a grateful smile. It was silent for a few moments before I realised that they were all leaving me, that this really was goodbye. I looked up to see Johnny standing in the corner, an ominous expression on his face. ‘Johnny’ I said quietly and his head snapped up, his features taking on a pained look.

He walked forwards slowly before stopping in front of me, leaning down to caress my cheek. ‘You won’t go, will you?’ I whispered brokenly, and his eyes flashed with pain.

‘I love you Kayla’ he said quietly, his eyes burning with intense emotions as he stared into my eyes. ‘That’s why I can’t let you die.’

I shook my head, tears falling down my face. I felt arms wrap around my waist and pick me up, cradling me in their muscular embrace. I melted into the familiar feeling and felt a soft kiss being placed on the top of my head, and the touch of a wet tear falling on my hair. ‘Stay with me Zacky’ I whispered, staring at a spot on the wall through blurry vision. ‘Stay with me Zacky, I love you.’

More tears dropped onto my head as I was turned around, cold hands cupping my cheeks so that I was staring into a pair of green eyes. The green eyes that had saved me from everything, the green eyes that protected me. The green eyes that I fell in love with. The green eyes that I cared for so much that if I never got to see them again, I knew I would die. ‘I love you too Kayla, so much’ he said quietly, his voice pained as tears dripped down his pale cheeks. ‘But you listen to me now. We’re going to come home, and we’re going to be safe. I promise you that, Kayla, I promise you. I’ll come home. We all will.’

I shook my head brokenly and he leaned forwards, placing a shaky, lingering kiss on my lips. He rubbed his nose against mine and ran his thumbs over my cheeks, staring at me in the eyes. ‘We’ll be home’ he said quietly, before he placed another kiss on my lips and backed away.

‘No!’ I said, trying to get up from the bed. I watched as Kaylee and Matt embraced each other before pulling away, and they all turned to me solemnly. ‘No!’

But it was too late. They each grabbed hold of Jimmy and in a split second they were gone, leaving me broken in my room. And just like that my green eyes were gone, taking with them my safety, my happiness, and leaving behind my broken heart.
♠ ♠ ♠
This chapter is dedicated to my fabulous friend Iggy (IgniteThisAngel.) for commenting about 30 times on every chapter of the story. Seriously, that deserves a juicebox.

Typing on a school computer is really hard, especially when you've got people surrounding you. Sorry it took so long, and I know it wasn't great but I really hope you enjoyed it!

Let's just say that *stuff* is going to hit the fan during the next few chapters :)

By the way, I have a new story out. It's called How To Be Human, and if you want, you can find it: Here. It's a bit different, but the first chapter's already out so if you want, give it a read!

5 comments = next update. Come on, I have 85 subscribers, that should be do-able!

You guys rock! The next one should be out soon, so comment away, my lovely readers!

Ash xx

P.S. Like the banner? I'm so proud of myself for making that! :D