Status: Active :)

Green Eyes

04

I was running, sweat pouring down my face as I frantically searched through the endless forest for my escape. I could hear them behind me, chasing me with an inhuman stamina. I screamed as one appeared in front of me, grinning widely so that I could see his fangs, dripping with blood. I started running the opposite way, stopping when I came to an opening, only to find my mum lying dead on the floor. ‘MUM!’ I screamed, bending over her body. I shook her violently, in a desperate hope that it would somehow bring her back to life.

‘Hello Princess’

I gasped and turned around to find Layton standing there smirking. He licked his lips, grinning widely. ‘Mmmm, I wonder if you taste as good as your dad….’

‘You bastard!’ I ran towards him, my fists clenched. I wanted to kill him. I had to. I went to punch him in the face but he grabbed my hand, twisting it behind me so I was unable to get away. I screamed as I felt his fangs on my neck.

‘Now princess, this might hurt a bit’

I held my breath as a sharp pain seared through my skin…


I screamed as I sat up, my shaking body drenched in a coat of sweat. My eyes hastily darted around the darkened room, my blue orbs catching a pair of green ones in the corner. Gasping, I blinked, but when I opened my eyes the green pair were gone.

I wiped the sweat off my brow and headed into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I looked in the mirror and sighed when I saw the greenish bruises covering my arms. They were going to be hard to hide. I turned on the tap in the shower and hopped in, letting myself get lost in the feeling of hot water on my skin.

When I was done, I dried myself off and got dressed. I really didn’t want to go to school today. It would mean facing Liam. But that wasn’t the worst of my problems. Maddy could always tell when something was wrong, and I knew I’d have to try hard to hide from her what had happened last night. Whatever the creature was had made it very clear that I was not to tell anybody about what I had seen, and I knew to trust it.

My mind went back to last night, and I vividly pictured myself staring into the creatures memorizing eyes. When I had looked into them, something in me felt connected. It was like just looking into them had filled up the hole in my heart that had been lost when Kale died. I needed to see him again.

‘Vengeance’ I muttered, chuckling to myself lightly. What a weird name for a creature that had saved my life. Twice.

When I arrived at school I was greeted by my friends. Brittany was grinning. ‘So, tell us. How was the date?’

I sighed and kept walking. ‘Terrible. He tried to kiss me and I walked out. By the way thanks Maddy for picking your phone up.’

Maddy hung her head down nervously. ‘Why what happened?’

I blushed. ‘Nothing. I just had to walk home in the dark.’

Brittany and Tahnee nodded knowingly while Maddy gave me a sceptical look. I just turned away and kept walking. I swore as I was knocked to the ground by a person walking past. I frowned and looked up, my eyes meeting with some warm brown ones. Great. Just who I needed to see. I swore again and got up myself, ignoring the hand offered to me. I turned around, about to walk off when I heard my name. I sighed and turned around. ‘Yes Liam?’

He blushed. ‘Ummm well I wanted to say I’m sorry about what happened last night. I shouldn’t have done it. I just got caught up in the moment and the fact that you were there and…’

I cut him off. ‘It’s ok. I’m over it.’

A look of relief washed over his face. He went to hug me but I pushed him away. ‘But that still doesn’t mean you can hug me.’

He frowned, and I smiled at him. ‘Later Liam.’ I turned and walked away.

The rest of the day was filled with never ending questions from Maddy about my night and my constant daydreaming. I started to worry. What if I never saw the creature again? I mean, it had taken him 13 years to come see me again, and even then it was just to save me. I felt tears coming to my eyes at the thought of having to wait another 13 years to see him again. I decided that, if worst comes to worst, I’d force myself into danger. Then he’d have to see me. That couldn’t be too hard, could it? I mean, I was only 17 and I’d already come face to face with death twice, not to mention my clumsiness.

But wait, what was I thinking? Force myself into danger? I couldn’t do that to my parents! What if I died? All I knew was I had to see him again.

When I finally arrived home that afternoon, I was both physically and mentally exhausted. I opened the front door of my house slowly and stepped in. ‘Hello. I’m home’ I called, my eyes peering around for any signs of my parents. Frowning, I swung the door shut. ‘Mum? Dad? I’m home!’

After hearing no answer I started to panic. What if Layton had gotten them? I couldn’t survive without my parents! I started frantically running around the house, checking every room for a sign of mum or dad. My breathing began to get faster as I finished checking the house, and there was still no sign of them. Tears started running down my face as I ran to the phone, ready to call the police.

Check the bench

The voice startled me, but I immediately put down the phone and ran to the kitchen, only to find a note sitting on the bench.

Kayla,

Your mother and I have gone out with some friends from work for the night. We’ve left your dinner in a bowl in the fridge. All you have to do is put it in the microwave. We’ll be back tomorrow when you get up.

Love you,
Dad


I wave of relief rushed through me as I read the note. I silently laughed at myself for being so stupid. I went to the living room and turned on the TV, before collapsing on the couch.

For the rest of the night, my thoughts never left the voice in my head. The only other time I’d heard that was last night when the creature had saved me. Did that mean he was here? I was filled with joy at the thought. So he was watching me!

For the rest of the night, I was in a good mood. When the clock changed to 10pm, I decided to give up and go to bed. As I was laying down, I let my thoughts wander, feeling completely at peace. As I was about to fall asleep I heard a voice, coming from somewhere in my room.

‘Goodnight princess.’

Maybe danger wasn’t that far away after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hey all! More drama! Sorry about the cliffhanger!

If you could please comment and subscribe you would make my day!

Ash xx