Status: Three-Shot, Complete

Awake to Take in the View

But I'll pray for a change.

Christofer zig- zagged through the immense crowd, not letting his eyes stray from his focus.

The girl has finally made it out of the mass of bodies and was now walking at a steady pace.

He finally managed to push his way past a couple and burst out of the crowd.
He walked quickly until he was approximately five feet behind her.

Chris studied her: She held her head down, her veil of hair just letting him see a hint on tears trailing down her face.

It caught him by surprise when the girl looked back at him and eyed him.

He averted his state quickly and slowed his pace.

She did the opposite: I could see her steal glances at me and she walked faster.

Ah, crap he thought, she must think I'm a stalker or something.
He shook his head.
Well, now that she knows I'm here, I might as well approach her.

Christofer jogged and caught up to the girl, who was hastily wiping away her tears with the back of her hand.

He made his way to her side and peered over to her.
" Why are you crying, sweetheart? Tears don't look right on a pretty face like yours."

She glared at me," Its none of your business. Anyhow, go away. I don't want to have anything to do with one of Josh's friends."

Chris snickered," I don't even know who this Josh is, hon. Anyhow, how could I be friends with him? He broke your heart, I suspect... Why would I be friends with a douche like that?"

She frowned," Oh! I'm so sorry for making a face at you back there by the door... I thought you were his friend."

He shook his head," Nope. I just happened to be sitting there when you stormed out."

" Sorry about that," she apologized.

" Its okay, darling," Chris forgave her," It wasn't your fault. So, anyhow, what's your name? I'm Chris."

She scrutinized him carefully and sighed," Im Melissa."

" Gorgeous name," he commented.

"Thanks," Melissa mumbled.

Chris spyed an oncoming Starbucks and made his move.
" Eh, yeah so... Oh, look, Starbucks! I'll treat you if you want."

Melissa stopped in the middle of the sidewalk and stared into space.

" Well?" Chris asked," Its on me."

She looked at him with sad eyes and nodded," Sure, I guess... I don't really have anything better to do."

" Great!" he exclaimed and took her by the hand.
She seeemed to flinch when their skin made contact.

At least she didn't pull away, Chris thought.

He dragged her into Starbucks and had her sit down at a table.
" You sit here," he said," what do you want? I'll order for you."

She fiddled with her hair and without looking at Chris said," Just coffee please, any kind."

------------------------------------------------------

After drinking the coffee silently for about five minutes, Melissa stood up aruptly and stated," Im going for a walk. It was nice meeting you, Chris. Bye."

Panic swelled inside Christofer's chest and he scrambled for words while bolting up," No! I mean, uh, I-- Can I go with you?"

She closed her eyes and rubbed her temples," Fine."

He signed in relief quietly and they walked out together.

---------------------------------------------------------------

//:Christofer's Point of View:\\

" This is where we're walking?" I asked, surprised.

She nodded and kept walking forward onto a narrow walkway on the Brooklyn Bridge.

I had no choice but to follow, even though the thought of being on a bridge surrounded by roaring cars terrified me.

I caught up to her and held her hand, only because mine was shaking.

She looked up at me and with a hint of a smile said," Please don't tell me you're scared, Chris."

I laughed nervously and tightened my grip on her hand when a truck roared past," Uh, well... Just a little."

She laughed melodically and I swear it was the sound of an angel.

A smile tugged at the corners of her mouth and she laughed again.

" C' mon now, that's not nice," I huffed playfully.

" I'm sorry," she frowned and stared at the ground again.

By now we were both standing on the middle of the bridge, the fading sun creating dazzling shades of pink and orange in the background.

I lightly placed my hands on her shoulders and turned her around so she would face me.

She continued to gaze downwards with sorrow- filled hazel eyes.

I cupped my hand around her chin and gently tilted her face upwards.

" Hold your head high, heavy heart. Smile again. You have a beautiful smile and life's too short to risk not smiling all the time."

" I can't smile. How can I be happy when the person I thought loved me just broke my heart?"

" Love is a wierd thing, huh?" I whispered and walked over to the railing of the walkway, all fear dissolving into the night sky.
I looked down and watched in fasication as the violent waves crashed against the steel structure.
They never quit do they?

" But no matter what, always keep moving forward. No matter the setbacks, Melissa."

" Sure, I can do that," she said, already by my side.
She leaned on my shoulder," but I don't think I'll ever be able to trust anyone with my heart again."

I gazed out at the beautiful city, the nightime scene leaving me in awe.
Lights flickered in the tall buildings as a cool breeze whipped by, making us both shiver.
She cuddled closer to me and I could smell the wonderful fragrance that wafted off of her hair.

" You see the city, Mel? It's beautiful right?"

" Its breathtaking."

" Its so stunning because it shares its heart. It lets other people care for and handle its heart. It locks no one out and trusts everyone. It welcomes all with open arms."

" Yeah, but I bet its never had its heart broken."

" Sure it has," I stated," In 2001, not only did it's heart break, but it it was shattered an reduced to rubble."

" The World Trade Center," she mummered.

" Yeah, it's heart," I explained," and now look. The heart of this sleepless city is being revived, built up from its ashes.

And do you know why?"

" Why?" Melissa asked quietly.

" Because it was brave enough to trust others with its heart. Because it knew it couldn't do it alone."

Melissa turned to look me straight in the eyes," But a heart can only take so much damage."

" A heart can only give so much love."

She bit her lip and questioned," What are you trying to say, Chris?"

I grabbed her cold hand and let our fingers intertwine.
" Let me take care of your heart, Mel. I'll mend it for you and make sure it never gets broken again."

She leaned in closer, our noses brushing slightly," Promise?"

" As long as the city still stands."
She finally sealed the space in between our lips and my soul danced.

And that was all it took to make this moment infinite.

That was all it took to make our hearts soar above the towers that brushed against the heavens.

You see this world has lots to offer
But in time it will go dark,
And if this love is what we say it is
I'm sure we will go far
And with a girl as sweet as you
There's not much else I can do
But fall for you
♠ ♠ ♠
There it is! I hope I win, even though its not good!
Hope you enjoyed it all the same! :D
<3

title credit and lyrics at end:: Hummingbird by Never Shout Never.