Status: Slow Updates

Learning to Fall

Reality Check

“So… Hold on. I’m really confused right now… Are you telling me that Alex lied to me, but not in the way that I thought he did?”

The girl – Laurette – nods. “I feel really bad about betraying him like this… But you need to know the truth. I just… I want Alex to be happy… I want everything to be okay between you two. So I have to do this.”

Laurette glances at Jack. He nods and puts a comforting hand on my back. Suddenly, I get it. Alex was only trying to help me. As Jack holds open his car door for me, I bite my lip and fight back the urge to cry.

“Just say it. Just tell me right here,” I say looking at Laurette.

“Are you sure? We can go-”

“Just tell me.”

Before the words even come out of her mouth, I know what they are. Jack puts his arms around me in an attempt to be comforting, but at this point, it’s hopeless.

“Alex isn’t the father of my baby,” Laurette says slowly.

The tears that have been threatening to spill over finally do, and I shake my head, silently begging her not to continue. But she does.

“Your brother… He was an amazing guy, Stella. If he were still alive, I – I know he would have been a great dad but… It just didn’t work out that way, I guess…”

Even though I was expecting it – it still hits me hard. Like a hurricane – one that I was warned about, yet there was nothing I could do to prepare myself.

My brother has a son – he’s not here to help raise it, to teach it everything it will need to know.

“How come… how come I didn’t know about this? Were you his girlfriend?”

“No,” she shakes her head. “I wasn’t. That’s the main reason that you or your family didn’t know. He cheated on his girlfriend at the time – Rebecca. They had just started dating… I’m so sorry Stella.”

She truly looks sorry, and as much as I really want to hate her right now, as much as I want to scream at her and blame everything on her – I really can’t.

“Don’t think any less of Zack now, please Stella,” She begs. “That’s exactly what Alex was trying so hard to avoid.”