Status: Finished

Secret Love Letters

Holiday Shopping

Image

The weeks had come and gone. Edward and I grew closer; our relationship was now stronger than ever. He knew all about my life and I knew all about his. Christmas break soon rolled around. I spent most of my time working at night and during the day at the Cullen's house. One day about four days before christmas Alice pulled everyone into the large dining room. I heard whispers but couldn't make out what they were saying.

~Edward's POV~

I sat down on the couch next to Maddie. I was about to put my arm around her when I felt Alice tense up. I looked over at her to see that she was spaced out. She was having a vision and not a good one. She stood up quickly then motioned for all of us to join her in the dining room.

"Stay here Maddie. We'll be back"

Maddie's blue eyes looked deep into mine. She looked worried but nodded her head and went back to watching TV. I kissed her cheek then followed my family into the dining room. Carlisle shut the sliding doors giving us all some privacy.

"What did you see?" asked Carlisle.

"A cult, they had Maddie tied up so we would come and save her. They were using her as bait. They wore red coats with a type of emblam on it; it had a V with an X over it"

"They are vampire hunters. Somehow they know about us; they've tracked us down. Shit, what do we do?" replied Carlisle.

"Stay here and protect Maddie. I'm not leaving her"

"No one said we're leaving Edward" said Esme.

"Maybe it was a false vision. We've been careful for centuries, no one knows what we are except for ourselves, the wolves, and Maddie. Keep your eyes peeled."

~*~

Edward came back out of the dining room. He smiled down at me then motioned for me to follow him up the stairs.

"Is everything alright?" I asked him once we were in his room"

"Yes, everything is fine. I got something for you; it's an early Christmas present"

"Oh, I didn't get you anything"

"It's fine Madelyn. You don't have to get me anything"

Edward got a small box that was wrapped in gold wrapping paper. I took it from him then opened it up. I pulled the box open and gasped. Sitting inside was a beautiful Sapphire and Diamond bracelet. I felt bad that I didn't get Edward anything. Tomorrow I was going to go and get him something and maybe the other's something as well. Edward shook his head then put the bracelet on my wrist. I thanked him with a kiss.

"You don't have to get me anything" Edward kept telling me. We both were now laying on my bed. I was almost asleep but he kept me up by kissing me.

"I am"

"I don't want you going by yourself"

"I can't take you with me"

"I'll know what you get me anyway so will Alice. She'll tell the other's because she's not too keen on keeping a secret"

"Fine, you can go with me"

~*~

The next afternoon Edward and I left to go to Port Angeles. He drove for me. Once there Edward went to look around giving me some space so I could shop. In the end I got Edward a book of poetry by the worlds famous poets; it was old and thick. I got Alice a cute outfit, Jasper a Civil War book because he told me that he was a soldier in the war before he got turned, Emmett an outdoors book that had things about animals and hunting, Esme I got her a huge Home and Garden book, Rosalie a pearl bracelet, and Carlisle a new medical book that had just came out. I then got my mom some perfume, a few shirts, and makeup, then decided to get Jacob and Billy something. I got them cologne, shirts, and some movies that I thought they would like. After that I headed outside to the Volvo. Edward was waiting for me. He kissed my lips then opened the door.

"Did you find everything?" he asked.

"Yes, I did" I got into the car then put the bags in the back seat.

Edward took me back home before I got out of the car I turned to him.

"I'm going to take some presents to Jacob and Billy if that's okay with you"

"It's fine Maddie, just be careful"

I smile then kiss him. "I'll see you later tonight"

Edward helped me get my bags. I got out of the car then went inside. I got out all the wrapping paper and started to wrap all the presents. Hopefully he wouldn't be too mad at her; she knew it was time to except his apology she really did miss him as a friend. Before I left I called my mom to tell her where I was going. She was happy to know that I was going to visit Jacob. She said that they would like the presents. I stuck the other's under the tree then got Jacob's and Billy's gifts. I locked up the house then stepped outside. It was starting to get dark and it was raining. I got into my car then drove off. The rain started to get really heavy; I turned my wipers on full speed but they started acting up. I looked out my driver's side window. I was now entering La Push. Soon the wipers stopped.

"Shit" I said.

I hit the dashboard trying to make them work again. They wiped a few times-enough time to make me react. I noticed that a car was swerving into my lane. The driver almost hit me dead on, I didn't want that to happen so I swerved to the left. I tried to break but the mud made it hard to stop. I ended up running straight into a tree. I plunged forward into the steering wheel. My head hit it causing me to yelp. The driver of the other car didn't even stop. He kept driving on. I groaned as I clutched my head. I felt blood oozing down my forehead. The airbag didn't even go off. I looked around the car my vision getting blurry. The glass of the windshield was shattered letting cold wet rain pierce down on me. I grabbed for my phone but with the loss of so much blood I started getting dizzy.

"Edward" I whisper before I black out.

~Edward's POV~

I race down the stairs to meet Alice and Jasper who were both putting their coats on.

"Maddie" I yelled.

Alice looked at me wide eyes. "I know come on"

The three of them raced outside to the Volvo. Edward got into the driver's seat and took off. He sped as fast as he could. Alice soon told him to stop. She pointed up ahead to the left side of the road.

"Shit" I yelled. "She crashed in La Push" I stop a few feet from the La Push line. I saw the lights to Maddie's car; I also saw her. She was slunched back into the seat. I knew she was still alive.

I pulled out my phone and called the operator. This was the only thing I could do to save Maddie.

"Thank you for calling the Operator's line. How can I help you?" A womans voice asked.

"I need to be transfered to Billy Black in La Push Washington"

"I'll transfer"

Edward hears the slight pause then the phone starts to ring.

"Black residence this is Jacob"

"Oh thank god. Look Jacob I know you hate me but Maddie is in trouble" I said.

Jacob dropped the piece of sandwich that he had been holding. "What did you do to her bloodsucker?"

"I didn't do anything to her. She came to see you so she could give you and Billy some christmas presents but she wrecked. Alice said her windshield wipers were acting up; when she finally got them started again a car was in her lane so she swerved to miss him and hit a tree. She's by the border. She's on the La Push side and I can't go there. I'm sitting out here in my car. I can see her but can't tell if she's breathing"

"Stay there I'm on my way"

I hung up the phone then get out of the car. I got a better view of Maddie. She was hunched over the steering wheel with blood dripping from a large gash of her forehead. Not even ten minutes later I sptted a cinnamon colored wolf run to the car. Jacob changed into his human form; he quickly put his clothes on then opened the car door.

"She's bleeding pretty bad" said Jacob.

"Jasper get back in the car" Alice told him. Jasper got into the car and shut the door.

Jacob pulled Maddie out of the car. He brought her over to the Forks side of the border. He handed her off to me. I smelt the sweetness of her blood but didn't really take any notice. I was too worried about her. I bent down to kiss her neck that's when Jacob growled at me.

"I'm not going to do anything dog" I said.

"You better not bloodsucker"

"Call Carlisle" I told Alice.

Jacob eyed me. "Give her to me so I can warm her up. She's freezing" he said

I look down at Maddie to see that her lips are starting to turn blue and her skin is pale. I hand her off to Jacob who pulls her closer to his warm body.

Not even ten minutes later an ambulance was there to take her to the hospital. I watched as they put her on a gurney. They soon drove off.

"Get in" I told Jacob.

Jacob gets in the passenger side. I quickly drive off following the ambulance as it takes Maddie to the hospital.

~*~

I slowly opened my eyes feeling extremely groggy. My head was pounding; it hurt so bad. I tilt my head to see Edward and Jacob standing over me. I slowly try to sit up.

"Maddie, don't try to sit up" said Edward.

I nod then lay back down. "Am I okay?"

"You had to get stitches and your chest is bruised; thankfully you will be fine" I heard Carlisle's voice say.

"Is my piece of shit car okay?"

Edward kneeled down next to me and kissed my cheek. "They towed it off. It might cost a lot to get it repaired."

"Great, I don't have a car. How am I going to get to work?"

"Don't worry about it, I'll drive you to work"

"Thank god you're okay" I heard my mom say. She rushed into the room then kissed my cheek. "Carlisle told me what happened. Are you okay?"

"Yeah, just sore"

"I'll get you a cheap car sweetie. It's not going to be anything fancy but I'll try"

"It's okay mom, Edward will take me to work"

"Um since you're okay I think I'll head on home" said Jacob.

"Your presents were in my car"

"I got them Maddie, thanks"

Jacob softly smiles at me then leaves the room.

"Maddie can go home tonight but she needs to be on bed rest. I got her some pain pills that will help. The stitches can come out in a week. The pain medicine might knock her out for a while until she gets used to it being in her system"

"Thank you Doctor Cullen" My mom smiled at him then turned to look at Edward. "Edward, would you mind staying with Maddie tonight? I'm busy working and I don't want to leave her alone"

Edward nodded. "I would be glad too Vanessa"

A nurse came into the room and helped me get into a wheelchair. Edward went to get his car while I waited in the hospital lobby.

"Be safe darling" my mom said. She kissed my forehead. "I'll be home by midnight; I have to clean up the restaurant"

"Okay, and mom"

She turned around to look at me. "Yes sweetie"

"Thanks for letting Edward stay"

"You're welcome"

Edward pulled to a stop in front of the hospital. The nurse wheeled me outside. Edward helped me into the Volvo. He put the seatbelt on me then kissed my lips. He drove towards my house. I felt myself getting woozy so Edward carried me inside. He changed me out of my wet clothes.

"Um, do you want a shower?" he asked.

"I can do it myself" I told him.

I got up from the bed and stumbled a little bit. Edward caught me then helped me into the bathroom. My eyes glanced at myself in the mirror. I saw the huge gash in my head and the bruises on my chest. Edward started up the water then turned around. I stripped out of my bra and underwear then got into the shower. I washed myself off. The dried up blood cascaded down into the water making it turn red. I clutched my head then cleaned my hair. After that I used my vanilla body wash to clean the rest of my body off. I stayed in the shower until the water turned cold. Edward wrapped a towl around me then helped me out of the tub.

"I'll let you change" he said.

"Thank you for helping me" I told him.

He nodded then left the bathroom shutting the door behind him. I dried off before putting my pajamas on. I combed my hair, brushed my teeth, and put on deoderant. I stepped out of the bathroom then into my room. Edward handed me my pain pills and a glass of water.

"Jacob called, he wanted to make sure you were home okay"

I nodded. "Did you talk to him?" I asked after swallowing my horse pill. I took a swig of water so it would go down better.

"Yes, he said he hopes you get well"

I smile then get into the bed. Edward turned on the radio; the volume was down low soft enough to soothe me.

"Do you need anything else?" he asked.

"No, I'll be fine"

I felt myself feeling a little woozy from the pill. Edward kissed my lips and was about to leave my room.

"Where are you going?"

"I don't think your mom would like it if I'm asleep in your room when she gets here. I'll be in the living room"

"Will you come back?"

"Only if you want me too"

"I do"

He nodded. "Your mom will be here around 12:23. By the time I get my car home and back here it will be around 12:37"

"Okay"

Edward bent down and whispered in my ear. "Dream of me" he said then left the room.

I felt myself growing extremely tired. I closed my eyes and fell into a deep sleep.