Status: Finished

Secret Love Letters

Campfire

Image

I woke up early on the morning of Christmas. I smelt the wonderful flavors of the breakfast that my mom was making. I walked into the kitchen with a smile on my face.

"Merry christmas mom" I said.

"Hey sweetie, are you feeling better?"

"Yeah, my head still hurts a little bit. Other than that I'm fine"

"Good, well let's eat breakfast then we'll open presents"

"Okay"

I got myself a plate of food then sank down at the dining room table with my mom. We both ate in silence. After eating, we went into the living room. I got out three presents for her and five for me. I didn't really want anything for Christmas but my mom went ahead and got me some things. I opened up the first gift to find beautiful diamond earrings, the second was a leather journal with gold pages and a set of Calligraphy pens, the third were a few pairs of shirts along with a pair of jeans, the fourth was some perfume, and the fifth was a large hazlenut candle.

"Thanks mom!" I got up and hugged her tightly.

"You're welcome, do you like your gifts?"

"Of course I do. Do you like yours?"

"Yeah, the perfume smells amazing. Uh, Jacob called for you an hour ago. You might consider calling him back"

"Okay"

"And later tonight we're going to a campfire. Billy invited us both so if you want to spend time with Edward make sure you're back here by seven"

"I will"

I got up from the couch then went into my room. I got my cell phone and called Jacob. The phone rang a couple of times until he answered.

"Hey Jacob"

"Maddie, how are you feeling?"

"I'm doing better thanks! Um, my mom said something about a campfire tonight?"

"Yeah, a few of the elders wanted to have a campfire and tell stories. There's going to be tons of food as well; if you don't want to come I understand"

"I have no choice. My mom said I have to go"

"Oh, well in that case I guess I will see you tonight then. I got you something for Christmas"

"Speaking of that did you like the gifts?"

"Yes, I loved them"

"Did the shirts fit?"

"Yep"

"What about Billy's?"

"Yeah, they fit just fine. He said thanks"

"You're welcome"

"She said you're welcome."

I heard Billy's muffled voice in the background again.

"Oh, Billy wants to know what time you'll be here"

"Probably around 7:30"

"Okay, and Maddie. I really am sorry for the way I acted. I still don't want you near him but I can't tell you what to do"

"I know Jacob. Look, I gotta go but I'll see you later"

"Okay, bye"

"Bye"

The moment I hung up the phone Edward was calling me. I smiled then answered it.

"Hello?"

"Merry Christmas"

"Thank you, and merry Christmas to you as well"

"I have another present for you" said Edward.

I looked down at my bracelet. "But you got me a present"

"Yes, I know but this one is from all of us. We chipped in money to get you this gift"

"Okay, um I guess you can come pick me up"

"I'll be there in an hour"

"Okay, that'll give me enough time to get ready"

"I love you"

"I love you too"

I hung up the phone then quickly got ready for the day. I showered, curled my hair, put on makeup, my new jeans, and new shirt, I then slipped on my socks and shoes. I got my purse then went into the living room-my mom was sitting on the couch talking on the phone. I also got the presents for the Cullen's.

"Who are you talking too?" I asked.

"Billy" she said. "Are you going to the Cullen's?"

"Yeah, Edward said he had another present for me"

"Okay, be back here at seven"

"I know"

I gave her a hug then went outside. Just as I closed the door Edward rounded the corner. He came to a complete stop. I ran through my front yard towards the Volvo. Edward gave me a kiss once I was inside.

"I have to be home by seven" I told him. "I'm going to a campfire in La Push"

"Be careful"

"I will, besides my mom will be there with me"

Edward nodded. "Good" he said then drove off towards his house.

We almost arrived when Edward told me to close my eyes. I tightly shut them. Edward stopped the car then turned off the ignition.

"Keep your eyes closed!" he said.

"I am!"

Edward got out of the car. He soon opened my door and helped me out. With my eyes still closed he led me about ten feet in front of me. He stopped me then kissed my cheek. "Open your eyes!"

I slowly open my eyes. Sitting in front of me is none other than a beautiful brand new blue and silver Ford Mustang.

"Oh my god, is this mine?" I asked.

I looked around to see the other's smiling at me.

"Yeah, it's yours" said Edward.

"Edward I can't except this. It's too much, I can't even afford the payment on it or the insurance"

"Don't worry about that, its completely paid for and Carlisle put you on our insurance" said Edward.

"Thank you guys!"

I gave Edward a hug then went over to the others. When I got to Rosalie I stopped. "Um, thank you Rosalie" I told her.

She nodded then turned on her heel and walked off. I was used to her bitchiness by now that it didn't but me that much anymore.

"Let's go for a drive!" said Emmett. He got the keys from Carlisle and threw them at me. I swiftly caught them.

"Wow, that was amazing!" said Alice.

"Yeah, I used to play softball when I was younger"

The Cullen's looked at each other.

"What?" I asked.

"We should play baseball sometime"

"Yeah, you all would kick my ass" I replied. "Okay, who wants to go for a drive?"

Emmett, Alice, Jasper, and Edward came forward.

"Will we all fit?" I asked.

"Yeah, we'll manage" replied Edward.

I unlocked the door and got into my brand new car. I smiled at the fresh scent of new car. I put the keys in the ignition and turned my baby on. Emmett, Alice, and Jasper squeezed into the backseat while Edward got into the passenger seat.

"This baby has power so be careful" said Edward.

"Yeah right" I said.

I put the car in drive and sped off.

~*~

"I still can't believe you got me a car for Christmas" I told Edward.

We were now in his room listening to the radio; I was laying on his couch with my head on his lap.

"If anything goes wrong with it I'll get it fixed for you"

"Thank you, oh I forgot about your presents" I got up from the couch then ran down the stairs. Edward beat me to his car. I smile then get the presents out of the car. I hand Edward his then carry the rest inside.

"Santa's here!" I said.

Emmett looked up at me. "I thought Santa was fat and old; you're-"

"Don't even finish that sentence!" said Alice.

I laughed then handed out the presents. Rosalie took hers and eyed me with her cold stare. They opened up the presents. Esme smiled at me the moment she opened hers, Carlise thanked me and started reading, Emmett jumped up and gave me a hug, Jasper smiled at me, Alice already knew what I was getting for her but thanked me all the same, and Rosalie just stared down at her present.

"If you don't like it Rosalie I'll take it back. I didn't know what to get you-"

"No" she cut me off. "It's beautiful, thank you Maddie"

"You're welcome"

I smiled then turned to Edward. He quickly opens his present. He flips through it then kisses my cheek. "Thank you Maddie"

"Do you all like your gifts?" I asked.

"Yes" they all replied.

"I know it's not like a car or anything but I had no idea what to get you"

"You did a good job!" Esme hugged me softly. "Thank you my love"

"Not a problem" I turn to look at Edward. "Um, it's almost six I probably should be getting home"

Edward nodded. I bid my goodbyes to the others then walked outside with Edward.

"Your mom already knows about the car; we told her that we would get you one so she won't have to worry"

"That'll be a load off my mind! Hey mom, look what my boyfriend and his family got me a new car!"

I smile; Edward looks down at me. "I have to go hunting tomorrow so I might not be able to be around you tonight"

"Okay, Edward I was wondering if you could you know-have sex"

"I can but that's a part of our boundary. I'm not going too far with you in case I hurt you"

"You won't hurt me Edward"

"You don't know that; it's painful for me to be around you every second"

"Are you saying you don't want to be around me?"

"No love, I'm just saying I go through this pain because I want to be with only you for the rest of your life"

"For the rest of my life' I stated. "I want to be with you forever not the rest of my life. When I graduate next year will you change me?"

"Madelyn I'm not discussing that with you"

"Think about it" I said.

"I've already thought about it; I'm not doing it"

"I'm sure you'll change your mind"

He shook his head. "No, I'm very stubborn if you haven't figured that out yet."

"So am I" I replied. I kissed his cheek then got into my car. I pull away the drive down the road.

My mom was waiting outside for me when I pulled up. She ran over to me and gave me a hug. "Do you like it? I went with Carlisle and Edward to pick it out. They actually paid it all off with cash they also said they put you on their insurance I don't know how the hell they did that but you got a brand new car"

"I know, I can't believe they did that. It's too much"

"I told them the same thing but they wouldn't listen. Are you ready to go? Billy wants us to leave earlier"

"Yeah, I'm ready"

I got into my moms Ford Taurus. She locked up the house then got into her car. When she backed out of the driveway I smiled wide at my new car. Edward was so spoiling me.

~*~

My mom came to a complete stop in front of the Black house. It wasn't very big just a three bedroom house with barely enough room for Billy to wheel around in. I sighed as I got out of the car. Tonight was going to be so much fun;not. I had to face Jacob with all the hard times we had this past month. I was still very upset with him and I knew he was dissapointed in me-but I wasn't going to stop seeing Edward just because he was a vampire. I love him as him not for what he is. Billy and Jacob both greeted my mother and I on the porch. I looked up at Jacob-he had gotten taller. God, does that boy eat miracle grow or something? He smiled down at me then took my hand leading me inside the house.

"Before we go I want to give you your present. Now before you start saying; Oh Jacob, you didn't have to get me anything; I didn't, I made you something" Jacob took me into his room then sat me down on his small bed. He pulled a small wooden box out of his dresser drawer. He handed it to me; I looked down at the box to see my name ingraved in it. Jacob was leaning against the wall with his arms folded over his chest.

I smiled at him then opened the box. Inside was a beautiful necklace. It had a wolf carved on it, and a turqoise stone behind that. "You made this?" I asked.

"Yeah, do you like it?"

"I love it" I pulled it out of the box. Jacob walked forward to take the necklace from me. I lifted up my hair to let him fasten it around my neck. "Thank you"

"You're welcome"

"Jacob we're ready to go"

"I'm coming" Jacob hollered. "We better go before Billy gets his panties in a wad!"

I laugh then get off of the bed with the box in my hand. My mom was standing outside talking up a storm with Billy. Jacob and I eyed eachother.

"Mom, why don't you ride with Billy and Jacob and I will take your car. If that's okay" I said.

My mom looked at me eyes narrowed. "Sure, that's fine. Just follow us"

"It's only about five miles from here. Not very far at all. Maddie, do you have a jacket? It's going to get chilly by the ocean"

"Oh, uh no I forgot it"

"I'll get you one"

Jacob went back into the house. He came back out with a jacket. I thanked him as I put it on.

"Follow right behind us Madelyn" My mom said as she handed me the keys.

"I will" I looked up at Jacob and winked at him. "You ready?"

"Yep"

I started walking towards the car; Jacob was right beside me. I quickly got in and started it up. While waiting for Billy and my mom Jacob turned to me.

"You haven't had sex with him have you?"

"Jacob, that's really not any of your business"

"Sure it is! You're my best friend, I need to know"

"I'm still a virgin Jacob"

"Good, keep it that way until you're thirty"

"Okay dad" I replied.

Jacob then got silent. "Have you heard from him?"

"Of course not, he's probably off with his family in Colorado skiing or whatever the fuck he does. When my mom found out she was pregnant he up and left"

"He has no idea what he's missing out on" said Jacob. "I bet he regrets what he has done"

"No, he doesn't. Oh, they're leaving"

Billy was backing out of the driveway. I put the gear in drive and started following after them.

"So, who's all going to be out there?"

"Lots of people; like Seth and Leah Clearwater, Sam Uley, Embry Call, Quil Ateara, Old man Quil Ateara, Paul, Emily Young, Jared, and Sue Clearwater"

I nodded. "Quit a show huh?"

"Yeah, we do this every year. Billy just wanted to invite you so-" he stopped.

"So I wouldn't be around the Cullen's?" I asked.

Jacob nodded. "Sorry, he just doesn't trust them"

"Jacob, you know they are not going to hurt me. It's party of the treaty right? If they turn a human they get killed"

He nodded. "Right"

Billy turned down a road that led to the ocean. I followed him through the winding roads. Soon we came to a dead end where cars were already parked. I looked out onto the ocean to see a huge bonfire and people gathered around it. I cut off the ignition then got out of the car. My mom helped Billy out of the car then into his wheelchair. There was a path that led down to the ocean and would help him be able to get down there. Jacob walked right beside me as we both walked down the trail. Some guys who were eating some hot dogs stopped to look at us.

"Sam, Embry, Quil you remember Maddie don't you?" said Jacob.

"Little Maddie, no that can't be you!" said Sam Uley.

I smiled at him. "Yeah, it's me"

He stood up and dusted off his pants. His eyes lingered over me. "Ow, Jacob told me about your car wreck that looks bad"

"A few days ago it was worse. It's starting to clear up now"

"What happened?"

"My windshield wipers stopped working; I finally managed to get them to work and when I did some jerk was in my lane so I swerved and ran into a tree"

"I'm glad you're okay Madelyn. There's some hot dogs and hamburgers over there on that table help yourself to whatever you want"

"Thanks!"

I walked over to the table that Sam had pointed out while Jacob stayed behind to talk to his friends. Leah Clearwater came up to me when I was fixing my hot dog.

"Hey Maddie, I haven't seen you around La Push in a while" she said coldly.

Leah and I used to hang out with Jacob and his sisters all the time.

"Yeah, I've been busy"

"Hanging out with the Cullen's I assume"

"Look Leah, I know you and the guys don't trust them"

"Of course we don't they're leeches for crying out loud and you want to befriend them"

"I'm befriending wolves now aren't I?"

She looked down at my necklace then back up at me. "Yes, but we're not going to harm you Maddie. We're here to protect you" She then walked off.

I sighed then took a bite out of my hot dog.

"Come sit down Old Quil Ateara is going to tell us a story about the Thunderbird" said Emily Young who was Sam's wife. I smiled at her then followed everyone to the bonfire.

My mom sat down next to Billy. She looked up at him and smiled-it was quit funny that they were both flirting with each other. Jacob sank down next to me. He whispered in my ear.

"You're freezing" he said then put his arm around me pulling me closer to him. I would've objected but it was actually really cold outside.

Everyone soon became quiet as they waited for Old Quil to tell the story of a Quileute legend that I have probably already heard before.

"Long ago, there was a sad time in the land of the Quileute. For days and days, great storms blew. Rain and hail and then sleet and snow came down upon the land. The hailstones were so large that many of the people were killed. The other Quileute's were driven from their coast of villages to the great prairie, which was the highest part of their land"

"There the people grew thin and weak from hunger. The hailstones had beaten down the ferns, the camas, and the berries. Ice locked the rivers so the men could not fish. Storms rocked the ocean so the fisherman could not go out in their canoes for deep-sea fishing. Soon, the peopel had eaten all the grass and roots on the prairie; there was no food left. As children died without food, even the strongest and bravest of their fathers could do nothing. They called upon the Great Spirit for help, but no help came."

"At last the Great Chief of the Quileute called a meeting of his people. He was and and wise. "Take comfort, my people," the Chief said. "We will call again upon the Great Spirit for help. If no help comes, then we will know it is His will that we die. If it is not His will that we live, then we will die bravely, as brave Quileute have always died. Let us talk with the Great Spirit"

"So the weak and hungry people sat in silence while the Chief talked with the Great Spirit, who had looked kindly upon the Quileute for hundreds of years"

"When his prayer had ended, the Chief turned to his people. "Now we will wait for the will of the One who is wise and all-powerful."

"The people waited. No one spoke. There was nothing but silence and darkness. Suddenly, there came a great noise, and flashes of lighting cut the darkness. A dep whirring sound, like giant wings beating, came from the place of the setting sun. All of the people turned to gaze toward the sky above the ocean as a huge, bird-shaped creature flew toward them."

"This bird was larger than any they had ever seen. It's wings, from tip to tip, were twice as long as a war canoe. It had a huge, carving beak, and it's eyes glowed like fire. The people saw that it's great claws held a living, giant whale"

"In silence, they watched while Thunderbird-for so the bird was named by everyone-carefully lowered the whale to the ground before them. Thunderbird then flew high in the sky, and went back to the thunder and lighting it had come from. Perhaps it flew back to it's perch in the hunting grounds of the Great Spirit"

"Thunderbird and Whale saved the Quileute from dying. The people knew that the Great Spirit had heard of their prayer. Even today they never forgot that visit from Thunderbird, never forgot that it ended long days of hunger and death. For on the prairie near their village are big, round stones that the grandfathers say are the hardened hailstones of that storm long ago"

Everyon clapped as Old Quil Ateara finished the story about the Thunderbird. I clapped along with them; I had actually not heard that legend before. I looked over at Jacob who smiled at me. The rest of the evening everyone just hung around the campfire telling more stories and just trying to keep warm. Soon the fire was starting to die out. I looked over at my mom who smiled.

"Are you ready to go Maddie?"

"Yeah, I'm getting a little tired" I said.

My mom looked over at Billy. "I think we're going to head out"

He nodded. "Thanks for coming"

"Thank you for inviting us"

I stood up then softly gave Jacob a hug. "Thank you for the necklace" I told him.

He nodded. "You're welcome, have a good night Maddie"

"You too"

I handed my mom the keys then followed her to the car. When we got in she turned to me. "That was really fun" she said. "The story was great, have you heard that one before?"

"No, I haven't"

"We should do this again sometime. I saw Jacob looking at you the whole night"

"He knows I don't like him like that; I like Edward"

"Oh, did Edward not want to come with us? I thought you would invite him"

"He didn't feel comfortable with Jacob not inviting him. He didn't want to intrude"

She nodded. "That's understandable but I'm sure Billy wouldn't have minded if he tagged along"

If only she knew; I thought as she drove off.

~*~

I bid my mom goodnight as we walked into the house then headed off to my room. I shut the door then turned on the lights. I jumped when I saw Edward laying on my bed. He looked me up and down then covered his nose.

"You stink" he said.

"Excuse me?"

"The jacket, it reaks of dog"

I looked down to realize that I still had Jacob's jacket on. "Oh, um sorry" I took it off then stuck it in my closet"

"That won't help but it's better" he said; he pulled me down on the bed next to him.

"Did you have fun?" he asked.

"Yeah, I did actually"

Edward kissed my cheek then looked down at the necklace that Jacob made me. He held it in his fingertips.

"He got you this?"

"He made it"

"He did a good job" he said. "Do you like it?"

"I think it's really pretty"

He nodded. "Not as pretty as you"

I flipped off the lights then cuddled up next to the coolness of his body. That's when I realized how tired I was. I fell asleep at once.