Status: Finished

Secret Love Letters

Funeral

Image

The next morning Alice woke me up. My sore eyes fluttered open. I felt so miserable and so depressed. The last thing I wanted to do was attend my mother's funeral. I know everyone there would be hugging me and wishing me their condolences. I didn't want to hear any of it. No one felt like I was feeling. My mother had been killed, and I had no idea who was behind it. I did know that this man was going to get his. Alice helped me shower and dress for the funeral. She put me in a slender black dress along with black shoes. She straightened my now short hair as well as appyling my makeup. I stared at the girl in the mirror. She looked so sad.

"Maddie, I know that you are feeling miserable but that's no excuse to block us out"

"What do you mean?"

"Somehoe you're blocking me and even Edward out of your mind. We can't get in"

I softly smirked at the girl in the mirror, she smirked back. "Good" I replied then left the bathroom. Alice stood in the doorway staring at me as I left my room. I carefully walked down the stairs. All the Cullen's were dressed up in their best attire. They all looked up at me with those damned facial expressions that I knew I would be seeing all day today.

Edward walked forward with a sorrowful looked plastered on his face. For some reason, I wanted to be away from them, all of them. I didn't want to be in this house. If Carlisle had just stayed there my mother would still be alive. I was so angry with them. Then it dawned on me; why did they really want me to leave Forks for an entire week? Edward looked into my eyes searching for any signs of my mind. I guess Alice was right, they couldn't get into my mind today. Probably because I had a barrier blocked in my mind. I didn't want any of them knowing what I was thinking.

"Why did you take me to Paris?" I demanded.

Silence filled the room.

"Why did you take me to Paris for a week?" I asked again.

Edward looked deep into my eyes. "A member of the cult was after you Madelyn. We had to do all we could to protect you"

"And you couldn't have my mom come with us?"

"We didn't know how to explain that situation to her Maddie" replied Carlisle.

I shook my head. "You are all liars" I yelled then walked outside into the cold rainy air. "Just perfect" I said while headed over to my mustang. I was so angry with everyone. Why were they keeping things from me? If it was about me shouldn't I have the right to know? Anger built up inside of me. To let it all out I kicked the tire several times. Edward came out and pulled me into his body. "Don't touch me Edward" I yelled while shoving him away from my body. "Don't touch me"

I knelt down on the wet ground. "Why didn't you tell me what was going on? Why didn't you protect my mother?"

"Maddie, we didn't want you to worry. Carlisle feels bad enough about what happened to your mother under his watch. Don't make it worse for him. Pull yourself together. All of us lost our parents, we know how you feel. People perish every day Madelyn"

"You'r mother didn't get murdered, she died from a damned influenza"

Edward nodded. "I'm sorry, about everything I put you through. Jacob's here"

I looked to the entrance of the Cullen's driveway. Sure enough Jacob, Billy, and Aurelia were pulling into the drive. I didn't want Jacob to see me like this. I quickly rose to my feet and brushed myself off. Jacob stopped then jumped out of the truck while Aurelia helped Billy into his wheelchair. I couldn't believe that Billy wanted to be near the Cullen's. Jacob ran over to me, his arms pulled me into a hug.

"I'm so sorry Maddie" he said.

"Do you know what's going on?" I whispered.

"We'll tell you later"

"No, you're not dog" said Edward.

Jacob let go of me and pushed me protectively behind him. "If it wasn't for you leech Vanessa wouldn't be dead and Maddie would be safe"

"Like she'd really be safe with a dog"

"ENOUGH" I yelled. "Someone better tell me what the hell is going on" I glanced around at the Cullen's, to Jacob, Aurelia, the Billy. "What's going on?"

"Maddie, wait until after the funeral" said Billy.

"I want to know now"

"There's no time" replied Carlisle. "After the funeral we will tell you everything, actually your mother will; she wrote you a letter"

"I want to see it" I shouted.

"Madelyn, enough" yelled Billy.

I felt tears slide down my face.

"I love your mother too, you're not the only one in pain. We will tell you when we get back" said Billy.

"Okay" I agreed.

Edward led me over to the Volvo. I got into the car then closed my eyes as Edward drove on. So many things were going through my mind. It was like a whirlwind of emotions. I was even more emotional during my mother's funeral. I didn't want anyone sitting by me but of course Edward and Jacob took both my sides. I cried like a baby, I had lost my mother the one who gave me life, who raised me, who gave me a place to sleep, and made sure my belly was always full. At the cemetery the preacher had me sing amazing grace which I was not aware of. I had to look away from my mother's light purple casket (purple was her favorite color) just to sing the song. It was ver shaky and pitchy but I was sad and cold. I got a standing applaused so I guess it wasn't that bad. I stuck around to watch as my mother was lowered into the ground and covered up. Finally, Edward said it was time to go home, it was getting too cold for me. I slowly nodded then followed him to the car. He turned up the heat then drove back to the Cullen house.

I slowly walked inside the house to see the other's including Billy, Jacob, and Aurelia sitting in the living room. I sat down on one of the white chairs. Carlisle handed me a letter that had my mother's handwriting on it. I opened it up, was I ready for this? I assumed that I was because my eyes started reading over the letter.

Dearest Madelyn,

I was only 19 when I had you. You're father was 22 almost 23. We met in college, at first everything in the relationship was perfect. He studied paranormal studies while I studied Culinary arts. It didn't take long for you to come along. We quickly got jobs then got our house that we still live in today. When I was 8 months pregnant your father started to change. He began to think that he was being attacked by vampires. I was scared about what he was becoming. I didn't believe in such a thing as these creatures until your father took me to one of his 'hunts'. I was in terror that he was actually telling me the truth. So, that night I kicked your father out and told him to never set foot by this house again. I knew that lying to you this whole time wasn't the right thing to do but I didn't want you to know the real reason.

The first time that I met Edward I knew that he was a vampire. But, he explained to me that he wasn't like other's; he only drank the blood of animals. Your father found out that you were dating him and hit the wall. He threatened to kill me if I didn't stop you from seeing Edward. He also threatened to see you. That is why I asked Edward to take you somewhere safe from harm. He took you to Paris. Carlisle promised to watch me but I know your father, he would get to me somehow. That is why I'm writing this, if anything did happen to me I wanted you to read this. Don't feel sad about what happened baby girl. You know I will always be watching you. If you want to spend the rest of your life with Edward as a human or a vampire that is up to you. Billy and Jacob will also be taking care of you. Carlisle said he will move in with him and pay for anything that needs to be done for you to graduate. I love you so much Maddie. Your father will get his, Carlisle and the pack are out looking for him as they promised me they would. I sold the restaurant to your aunt as you probably already know, the house will be torn down on my account, and enclosed I left a two million dollar check for you. Make it last, don't spend it all in one place. You are the light of my eyes Madelyn. I love you.

Love Always; Mom

I looked into the envelope to see the check enclosed. I couldn't believe that my father was a vampire slayer. There were so many emotions and thoughts running through my mind.

"Maddie, are you alright?" asked Billy.

"I'm going to bed. This is too much"

I left the living room and headed upstairs into my room. I glanced at myself in the mirror above the dresser. I looked so bad, I couldn't believe that was me I was seeing in the mirror. I thought it through, I was going to kill myself. I didn't want to live anymore, I didn't want to put the Cullen's in danger, Jacob, Billy, Aurelia, or even Edward. If my father was as evil as I thought he was he could wipe them all out. I didn't want that burden and guilt running through my veins. I had to kill myself, then he would leave them all alone. I hoped. I went into the bathroom where I found a razor.

"It's a good thing to die in the place of someone you love. I'm doing this for you Edward" I whispered. I then headed to the window and jumped out. My feet hit the soft ground as I ran as fast as I could to the cemetery.

I fell down onto the soft mound of my mother's grave. Tears slid down my face as I began to cut every inch of my body from my wrists, to my legs, my arms, stomach, and neck. Blood poured out of my body onto the green earth.

"I'm sorry mom" I said as I felt my world spin around me. I was losing a lot of blood. The rain started to fall from the heaven's above. I took in a deep breath then heard his voice before my world went dark.

~Edward's POV~

I jumped up from the couch at once. Maddie was planning on killing herself. Alice and the other's also got up. The Black's had already left so I didn't have to worry about them. We raced outside into the darkness. It was about to rain. I could smell it. I could also smell vanilla and roses; Maddie's scent. I raced through the woods as fast as I could.

"She's in the cemetery" yelled Alice.

We darted through the graves until I saw my Madelyn lying on her back on her mother's grave. Blood was pouring out of her cuts. I bent down and cradled her in my arms. The rain started to fall form the glimmering sky.

"Maddie, wake up my love" I said while kissing her lips.

"Her hearts getting weaker Edward, she lost a lot of blood" said Carlisle.

Everyone looked over at me.

"Edward, you have to do it. If you don't change her she'll die. The cuts are deep" said Alice.

"I can't do it" I yelled.

"Edward, do it" said Rosalie. "You have to do it. She wanted to be a vampire before. I can't stand to see you sad if she dies"

I glanced down at Maddie's body once more. I carefully picked her up and carried her over to a cliff that overlooked the river. I stared up at the full moon that shone down on me and my love. I couldn't spend the rest of eternity without Maddie. She was my life now. Without her I had nothing. I would kill myself if I lost her. I looked back at my family who held sorrow on their faces. They would also be in pain if Maddie died. I tilted my head down, her heart was struggling to beat. That's when my teeth sank into her neck. Her blood filled through my body like morphine. It tasted better than I thought it would.

"Edward, stop! You'll kill her" yelled Carlisle.

I used all my power to muster up the strength to pull away. Flashes of Maddie's face filled my mind. I soon pulled away letting her blood cascade down my lips. I heard the moans from Maddie.

"We have to get her back home" said Esme.

I cradled her in my arms as I darted back to the house.