Speak Low, If You Speak Love

Permission to Speak Freely, Sir?

Leighton’s mother was the epitome of Christmas Spirit.

The artificial tree went up the day after Thanksgiving, marking it’s territory next to the living room window until well after New Year’s. White lights and metallic red balls dripped from every inch of the tree, blinding anything that looked for too long. Singing Santas sang from the mantels they were perched on, imbedding ‘Jingle Bell Rock’ into your brain. It only got worse when you walked outside. Mechanical deer made a permanent residence on her vast, green lawn and festive wreaths were placed on every window at the front of the house.

It was ridiculous, honestly.

No one said anything, though. It made her happy. Who were they to criticize her love for this time of year? It was only for a month or so. They could deal with the creepy dancing Santas and tinsel for her sake.

“I’m home,” Leighton called as she opened the front door. She unzipped her jacket and placed it in the closet before walking further into the house.

Leighton couldn’t rid the scent of peppermint from her nostrils as she entered the kitchen. She silently wondered what her mother could be baking this time.

“Hey, sweetie." Her mother smiled as her hands were kneading something in a big, red bowl.

“What are you baking?” she asked curiously, as her eyes caught the sight of a young child in a high chair. “Hello, beautiful,” Leighton cooed, kissing her niece on the forehead.

“Candy Cane Cookies.”

“Sounds yummy,” Leighton laughed. “Where’s Jamie?”

“She and Tyler had to go to his boss' Christmas party,” her mother explained, simultaneously squeezing a bottle of red food coloring into the bowl. “Ava is going to stay the night.”

“Sounds fun,” Leighton looked down at the baby. “Guess what?”

“What, honey?”

“Elysa asked me to be her Maid of Honor.”

Her mother stopped playing with the cookie dough, “Are you excited?”

“I don’t know,” Leighton said honestly. “It’s kind of weird, you know? We were never the best of friends.”

“It will be fun,” her mother reasoned. “Maybe you girls will bond over it.”

“Maybe,” Leighton shrugged.

She spent a few more minutes downstairs with her mother and niece before excusing herself. She had had an almost unbearable day and all she wanted to do was take a nice, long shower. She thought she deserved at least that after being summoned to be Elysa’s bitch for God knows how long.

Leighton walked into her adjoining bathroom, flicking the light switch on as she passed it. She opened the shower curtain and turned the metal nozzle to a hot setting. She lifted her shirt from her body and unclasped her bra. As she watched the clothing fall to the floor, she unbuttoned her jeans. Once there was enough steam floating from the shower, Leighton stepped in. She winced at the scalding hot water, but soon melted into the feeling.

It was funny how a hot shower could help you forget all of your problems. It was calming and relaxing and Leighton just felt at one with herself. Even if it was just for ten minutes, it didn’t matter. Those few precious moments were still just as peaceful.

With her hair smelling like fresh berries, Leighton stepped out of the shower. She grabbed her pink and white striped bathrobe quickly before her body erupted in chills. She wrapped a towel around her wet, blonde hair and walked into her room.

As she searched her drawers for anything to sleep in, the familiar sound of her cell phone took over the room. She gave up her search and answered the ringing without looking at the caller I.D. “Hello?”

“Leighton!” A high pitched squeal erupted in Leighton’s eardrum.

“Savannah?”

“Did you forget my voice already?”

Leighton met Savannah during her freshman year of college. They had the same English class together and bonded over being the only two kids who found the professor’s lisp funny. It was after that that they realized they had so much in common. It ranged from music taste to movies to ice cream flavors. They were pretty close friends, but because Savannah had decided to do a semester abroad, they hadn’t seen each other much lately.

“How could I forget your voice?”

“I know,” she laughed. “How are you?”

“You don’t even want to know,” Leighton laughed, pacing her room. She managed to untangle the towel from her hair and tossed it to the side.

“Oh, yes, I do.”

“You remember Elysa? I think you had Twentieth Century with her.”

“Alex’s girlfriend?”

“Fiance.” Leighton corrected her.

“They’re getting married?”

“Uh huh,” Leighton began. “And guess who gets to be Maid of Honor?”

“No way,” Savannah gasped.

“Yep,” Leighton collapsed onto her bed. The loud shrill of the doorbell echoed throughout the entire house, but she chose to ignore it. “Lucky me, right?”

“At least she has a sense of style?” Savannah replied, looking on the brighter side. “I hardly doubt she’d send you down the aisle in a powder blue mess.”

“I know,” Leighton sighed as the doorbell sung again. “But I don’t even like her that much.”

“Think of it as a good deed.”

Leighton wished she could be as optimistic as Savannah, but it was hard being in the situation she was in. “No good deed is worth the hell I’m about to endure.”

“It wont be that bad,” Savannah replied as the doorbell rang a third time.

Growing aggravated, Leighton dragged herself from her bed and threw open her bedroom door, “Can I call you back, Savannah? Someone’s at the door.”

“Sure thing.”

Leighton ended the call and descended the stairs. She wondered what her mother was doing and why she couldn’t possibly answer the door. She shook the thought from her head as she reached the final step.

Leighton opened the front door, cursing as a frigid blast of air hit her warm, wet body. Her eyes lifted from the floor and her voice caught in her throat as she saw who was standing on her step.

“Jack?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ashley here.
Currently, Crest White Strips are taking occupancy in my mouth and I’m about to choke on my saliva. I’m also watching Gene Simmons Family Jewels.
But did you really need to know that?
How are you guys liking this?
Let us know.
The feedback has been amazing.