Speak Low, If You Speak Love

I Did Not Leave The South Side For This

309.

Leighton was too amused with the number of the condo to even realize Jack had thrown the door open. With a smile perched on her lips, she silently sang the Hit the Lights song, not even caring where she was or who she was with.

“So, this is it,” Jack interrupted, the chorus still playing in her head.

Leighton scanned her surroundings. The room they were in was rather large. Pecan colored hardwood lined the floor and the walls were painted a bleak, off-white. At the very end of the room was a sliding door that lead to a small balcony and a fireplace rested along the east wall.

“This is the living room,” Jack explained as if Leighton hadn’t already figure that out. “We’re going to have to do a lot of painting, but I think it'll be worth it.”

Leighton tried tuning him out, but his voice was a peculiar kind that was almost impossible to ignore. After a moment, Jack turned right into a wide opening. Before Leighton sat a newly remodeled kitchen. A black and gray granite counter top sat upon pearly white cabinets lining almost every wall. Space would not be an issue in here, but Leighton didn’t see the two of them using it much to begin with.

“This is the kitchen.”

“Really, Jack?” Leighton couldn’t stop herself. She was an honor student. She’d been on the Dean’s List every semester of her college career. She knew what a kitchen was.

“Someone’s bitchy.”

“I’m not trying to be a bitch, Jack,” Leighton grunted, brushing her hair out of her face. “I’m just still adjusting to the thought of living with you.”

“You signed the papers.”

“That doesn’t make it any less of an adjustment.” Leighton rolled her eyes. “I signed the papers because I want to live with you, but you’ve had a hell of a lot longer to think about this than I have.”

“Okay,” he sighed, crossing his lanky arms. “Do you want to see the rest of the place?”

Leighton merely nodded and Jack walked out of the kitchen and across the living room down a narrow hallway. In the center of each wall was a white door. Jack pushed the door to the left open and lead the way for Leighton.

It was bigger than Leighton imagined a bedroom in a condo could be. The floors were covered in plush, beige carpeting. The walls were the same off-white the living room walls were and just begging for a splash of color. To her left, there was another door. Jack opened it to reveal a bathroom.

“Each room has their own,” Jack explained. “I thought you’d like that.”

She did. The last thing Leighton wanted to do was share a bathroom with Jack Barakat. She could only imagine the hair that would cover the shower.

Across from the bathroom was an oversized window that Leighton was just itching to drape with pretty fabrics. “I like this room.”

“I figured,” Jack laughed. “I know how much you like the window in your room. I know it doesn’t have a seat, but it’s almost as nice.”

Leighton smiled. It was things like this that reminded her why she was in love with him. She didn’t need jewelry or expensive clothes. All Leighton wanted was for Jack to remember the simple things.

“My room is pretty much the same,” he added, as they walked back into the hallway. “Except I have two windows instead of one big one.”

Leighton nodded. She peeked into his room quickly before following him back to the living room. She liked it here. No, she loved it. It was the perfect size and the perfect location. It was any twenty year-old's dream.

“Are you regretting it yet?” Jack smirked.

“No,” Leighton laughed. “Not yet, but give me time. When can we move in?”

“They just have to finalize the contract and it’s ours.”

Ours. It had a ring to it. Leighton just wasn’t sure if she liked the ring yet.

“You want to go grab some lunch?”

“Sure.”

Once the two were safely back in Jack’s car, Jack sped off down the road. With heat pouring in from the vents, Leighton felt herself melt into the seat. She felt so content that she knew this was the perfect time. “Jack, I need to tell you something.”

“Hmm?” he muttered, flicking through the radio stations. After two minutes of pressing buttons, he settled with the Top 40 station playing the latest Britney tune.

“Elysa asked me to be her Maid of Honor --”

The force from Jack slamming on the brakes was enough for Leighton to whack her head against the dashboard. As pain leaked throughout her pretty little head, she decided to finish the rest of the sentence. “-- and I accepted.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Ashley here.
Man is it hot in Boston, or what? This weather is disgusting. Thank God that fall is right around the corner.
I really don’t have much to say. I’m too distracted by Gene Simmons: Family Jewels.
So, I’ll cut this short.
Tell us what you think!