The Land Before Death

Take care of yourself

“Kara, where have you been?” dad said as he glared into my eyes when I walked through the kitchen door.
“Um, I went to take a walk and found a neat place to hang out and relax,” I said not wanting to tell him where I actually went.
“And where would that be?”
“Oh dad, mind if I take Storm out for a ride through the forest tomorrow? He needs to get out of that boring old ring,” I said changing the subject so I wouldn’t have to tell him.
“Ok, but don’t go too far back, for you remember what happened to Mr. Smith right?”
“Yeah, well that was like seventeen years ago. The forest ought to be better by now,” I said knowing what would come next.
“Kara, I forbid you from going very far back for I we-,” and he stopped because he didn’t want to say any more. “Um, well just don’t go back there.”
“Ugh, ok dad,” I said as I flipped my golden brown bangs out of my eyes. “Oh and when are you leaving for that business meeting tonight?”
“Right about now, it’s almost seven. I have to be there at eight. Take care of yourself. Call me if there’s something wrong with the horses. ”
“Uh, dad how can I? there’s no reception in this annoying town.”
“Oh, um I’ve been having an off day. Why did I even say that?”
“I don’t know dad, but take care of yourself.”
“Ok, you too.”
“I know dad, bye love you,” I said as he picked up his briefcase, straightened his tie, and walked out the door.