Status: Active

Weightless

Chapter Nineteen

I woke up with a start what felt like ten minutes later to see Alex watching me carefully. There was a pack of ice in his hand. I assumed that was what had woken me up.

“What the fuck do you want” I mumbled, rubbing my eyes sleepily. I checked my phone. I had only been asleep for an hour.

“I was putting ice over your eye to help the swelling go down” Alex said meekly. “Why aren't you at home?”

“I got kicked out dumb ass, I'm homeless for now. Where else would I sleep? And why do you care?” He chewed his lip, fighting back a smile.

“I checked your tree house and your room. I just went home so I could get some ice and that” he said, pointing at his guitar which now occupied the passenger seat of my car.

“If you planned on coming back, then why couldn't you have at least told me?” I sat up and took the ice pack from Alex, half to ease the pain and half to hide my tears.

“Um... I wanted to surprise you and I knew you wouldn't have let me leave otherwise.” I nodded and Alex pulled the guitar to him. “Come snuggle with me” he whined, causing me to raise an eyebrow at him.

“Excuse me, are you drunk?”

“Only a little. Look I saved you a thing.” He reached up to the front of the car again and handed me a partially empty bottle. I narrowed my eyes at him. “Okay okay... I'll play you the song I wrote you and then we can snuggle, promise?”

“You wrote me a song?” Alex nodded, his cheeks flushed red and I couldn't help but to smile. “We'll see. If it's a good song, then maybe.” I took a swig of whatever was in the bottle, it tasted like Alex had mixed everything he could find in his house that contained alcohol. So I took another swig. “What's this song called?”

“If I told you it would ruin it. Now shut up and enjoy it. And I didn't actually write it but it's still good I promise I just thought you would like it more if I told you I wrote it.”

“What the fuck is your problem?”

“I did write Hit the Lights for you.”

“Fuck you.” Alex stuck his tongue out, then started one of the cheesiest most adorable songs I'd ever heard him sing.

“If I were you, I would fall for me. Keep every promise, answer my calls, and I would never let you down, no. If i were you I would turn that car around, come speeding back tonight and I, I would wonder how I got so lucky that I'm right here with you. If i were you I'd know exactly what to do.

I would take you by the hand and I would keep holding tight, and if you wanna go to sleep I got a lullaby. I know exactly what to say and I would do what you need. If I were you, I would fall for me.

If I were you, I would drop out of school. Forget the grades, you'd have it made. You'll see, you belong to me. If I could make you realize that all you want is all I've got. Please stay here and don't ever leave, no. I'm so happy that I'm right here with you. Loving you is really all I've wanted to do.

I would take you by the hand and I would keep holding tight, and if you wanna go to sleep I got a lullaby. I know exactly what to say and I would do what you need. If I were you, I'd fall again and again and know if you have any doubt, and if you ever for a second forget what you've found I'll show you the world, I'll make you believe. If I were you, I would fall for me. I'd fall hard and fast and I'd never look back if I were you, just close your eyes and you'll see.

I would take you by the hand and I would keep holding tight, and if you wanna go to sleep I got a lullaby. I know exactly what to say and I would do what you need. If I were you, I'd fall again and again and know if you have any doubt, and if you ever for a second forget what you've found I'll show you the world, I'll make you believe. If I were you, I would fall for me.”

Now somehow as the song progressed, Alex and I had finished the bottle of mixed spirits and I was in his lap, while he held the guitar delicately over me. “Just for the record, I hate that guy who wrote that song and it's cheesy and stupid but”

“You know I like things that are cheesy and stupid.” Alex nodded, placing the guitar aside and fitting our fingers together.

“Alz, I'm sorry” he admitted. “This whole... whatever it is between us, is just as much my fault as it is yours. I shouldn't have forced myself on you like I did, I just wanted things for myself.”

“Well” I started, sitting up so I could see Alex's eyes better. “You seem sincere, so I accept your apology. It is mostly your fault though.”

“How is it mostly my fault?” Alex whined, sitting up with me.

“Well I mean, it wasn't my fault I didn't realize I was in love with you yet”

“You're in love with me?” Alex beamed, an evident smirk on his face.

“Yes. I said that earlier.”

“No no no no, you said you loved me, not you were in love with me. Brothers and sisters love each other, but being in love is something entirely different.” I blushed and Alex kissed my cheek, rendering me somewhat speechless. “I can't say it feels wrong” he sang softly, his breath tickling my ear. “To close my eyes when all I see is you.” I smiled and blushed, mostly forgetting anything else that I had to say to Alex as he continued to kiss my neck.

“You're just kissing me because you're drunk” I whined, pushing Alex's face away from me.

“No!” Alex protested, looking somewhat hurt. “Well okay, maybe” he chuckled, kissing my cheek again. “Here, this one counts for realsies, okay?” I nodded and we both smiled, right before our lips connected eagerly. It wasn't like the kisses before, it felt right this time, and it felt good.

“Run away with me” Alex said, breaking us apart.

“What?” Alex pouted and I shrugged. “Why, where?”

“The band is going on tour once the summer starts. We have until then. I don't care about school, I stopped caring a year ago. Alz, we're starting to get offered record deals. This is gonna be something big for me and the other guys, I can feel it. And you can be our manager, I know your uncle has taught you a lot about the music industry, you can help us!” There was so much light in his eyes when he said it, but I couldn't help being skeptical.

“I don't know Alex...”

“Please Alana? There's nothing left for either of us here, and our friends will be with us the entire way. We've both kind of had a shitty weekend, we need to figure out a way to make this our year.” I smiled, the idea was starting to sound good in my head.

“Damn your persuasive good looks. Where would we go?”

“Anywhere. Within reason, I don't think we can afford the moon just yet.”

“Well, right now we can't drive anywhere, or we'll crash into a telephone pole.” Alex chuckled, and I licked any remnants of alcohol from my lips.

“So can we snuggle to sleep now?”

“You have to promise to actually write me a song.”

“Fine.” Alex produced a blanket out of nowhere, then laid down on the car seat and patted his belly. “Now come here and snuggle me.” I laid down next to Alex and he tossed the blanket over us, creating an envelope of warmth. Alex found my hand and squeezed it gently, and we kissed again. “Feel better now?”

Well that was the understatement of the century. I felt better than I had in months, even years. Every problem was pushed out of sight and out of mind. In front of me, all I could see was happiness. And, literally, Alex, as his nose touched mine gently. “I feel weightless.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The song Alex sings is called 'If I Were You' and it's by Jason Castro and the only reason I like it is because I heard it at work and knew it would fit perfectly with the story. I think he was on american idol. If you'd like to hear the song, CLICK HERE, but ignore how ugly the guy is and pretend it's Alex singing instead. If you don't know Hit the Lights by All Time Low, you might wanna look it up. ;)

Sorry it took me almost a whole month to post this. I had it done about two days after the previous chapter, but I hated parts of it. So this is the final version, just for all of you.

Let me know if you'd like/read a sequel, because I could easily do one, it would just be sort of slow at updating and nothing really new, so... I'm not terribly inclined to do so.

Leave a comment anyhow though, please! Whether it's your favorite or least favorite part of this chapter, the whole story, or just something random, I don't care.

Thanks for reading <3