My Daddy, Gerard

13

I walked into the adoption agency with dad, holding his hand. We went into a room with a pink door. There was a tall girl with pigtails and a blue polo on. Dad pointed to her.

"There she is, Alison."

I seethed.

"Alison?"

I opened my eyes, and to my surprise, I was in my room, dad shaking me.

"Are you coming with me or not?"

It had been a week since the adoption agency called. I thought about it.

"Wow. Just wow. This situation..."

"What?"

"What we're about to do. I mean, me and my dad, Gerard Way nonetheless, are going to get my TWIN sister. Only in my dreams. But, some dreams come true."

Dad smiled. "The most profound words ever spoken by a teenage girl."

"Thank you."

I beamed.

*************************

It didn't take long to get to the Jersey Shore Adoption Center. Dad put on an oversized dark blue hoodieand we got out of his car. I took his hand and we walked into the stone building. Inside, there were a lot of little kids playing on the floor. We walked up to the counter and dad pulled off his hood.

"May I help you?" the woman behind the counter said cheerily.

"Yeah, I came to pick up my daughter."

"Then who are you?" she said to me.

"His daughter. I appearently have a twin."

"Oh. Name?"

Dad leaned in. "Gerard Way."

"Oh, Mr. Way! Your daughter Mariah is waiting in the room down that hallway. Second door on the right."

Dad nodded and we walked off. We went into a wooden door. The room was full of teenagers, most of them dressed preppily(yes, preppily) except two girls and a boy. I hoped one of the others was Mariah.

"Mariah?" dad called out.

A girl with black hair, a My Chemical Romance shirt(me and dad both smiled), black jeans, a pair of silk black flats, purple and black mardi gras beads, and a bow in her hair stepped forward.

"Yes?" she said with the same nervousness I had the first day I met dad.

"I'm your dad," he whispered.

"And I'm your sister,"

"Are you kidding me?"

Dad smiled with warmth. "Nope."

She squealed and hugged dad.

"You obviously know who I am, and you'll call me dad, not Gerard, alright."

She nodded then looked at me. I lifted my arm as if to wave, but didn't turn my hand.

"I'm Alison. I've lived with dad and the band since June."

"The band? Like the rest of My Chem?"

"Yes,"

"Mariah, there's not going to be much room for you, so I've decided to move the band and you and Alison into a new, bigger house."

"When was this?" (That was me.)

"Yesterday. I found a good one in Newark with 10 bedrooms. I finally decided to splurge. I better go get the custody papers, so come on."

We walked back around to the counter.

"I'd like to keep her,"

"Go through the door to the right of this and ask for the custody papers for Mariah Pentico. Or, Mariah Way."

Me and Mariah decided to wait out side while dad got the custody papers.