Roses & Ribbons

Uncommon Aelan

- Hello, Mark Vaughne, she said with some resentment and a harsh voice. My name, she made a stop to have a drink, is Aelan. Not Elaine, not Ellen, but Aelan. Those last words were a pure instinct. If she had a nickel every time someone got her name wrong…
The man laughed again.
- Well, alright, then. I’ll remember that. Aelan. That’s a pretty uncommon name, isn’t it? Aelan… I think I’ve only heard that once before.
- Well, good for you. So, what’s a fancy guy like you doing so far from suburbia? Aelan gave him a quick, meaningless smile, but Marks smile disappeared.
- I live here, just a few blocks down. You don’t have to be some thug to be a New Yorker... I mean, not that you’re one. Thug, I mean, not a New Yorker… ehurm… Mark did a less than smooth job changing the subject. My wife left me, he finally got out. What about you? Why are you sitting here all alone, a pretty girl like you?
Aelan gave him a look that said “watch it”, but he didn’t get the hint. He just looked at her with those squirrel eyes, waiting for her to answer.
- If you must know, she said giving up the fight of keeping shut, I’m getting over someone. And liquor, she waved the bottle in his face, is the best way.
Mark mouthed an understanding “oh”. He turned back to looking at the wall behind the counter. For a while she thought that was the end. But then he turned again.
- Try me, he said resolutely.
- What?
- Try me, he repeated, like it was the most obvious thing. You said I wouldn’t understand what you’re going through but here we are, my wife walked out on me, you just broke up with someone… I think I’m the only person in this bar that can understand you right now.
Mark smiled at himself, for being so clever and saying that entire sentence without even stuttering. Aelan hated him a little for being so right. The thought of walking out hit her. But again she thought that it was only one night. So she answered him.
- Fine, you want to know, you really want to know? ‘Cause when you know, there’s no turning back.
Mark nodded eagerly.
- Then let’s get out of here. Aelan got up and started searching the pockets of her jeans for money. In a second, Mark had his wallet up, putting nicely pressed bills on the counter. Aelan tilted her head and gave him a smile as thanks, but this time it was a real one.