Once Upon a Dream

Chapter One

As I waited for departure at the Halifax airport in Nova Scotia, I thought about possibilities. I was headed for New York City and the major art school within it. It would be new to me, the small town girl, to be in the big city that never sleeps. I wasn't used to all the hustle and bustle of this airport alone. I was scared of the people I would meet, things I would learn, and things that would happen. It terrified me to think of change. But I was willing to take the plunge and pursue my dreams just to prove my mother wrong.

Back home I had lived with my mom and my younger sister. They were never really supportive when it came to my dreams. For my mother it was always, "Do what you think is best" and for my sister, "I don't care."

There was always one person who did care. My old sixth grade teacher. She took me aside one day and looked into my eyes.

"I believe in you and I believe that you can do great things."

I took her message to heart. First comic book I make, it will be dedicated to her.

The plane ride was short and I knew it would be. I could have driven to New York from where I lived in a matter of days. I listened to my Walkman, Smashing Pumpkins on repeat. I nearly fell asleep but wasn't able to due to everybody talking. The city would be worse.

When we landed, I gathered my things and headed out for a taxi. You had to call one from a phone in the small town I lived in, here, I could hail one from anywhere. He drove me to my destination, a small apartment I rented nearby the school. I wouldn't tolerate dorms. Before the night came, I prepared for school which was starting soon. I picked out my wardrobe for the week. I was so nervous, I swear I didn't step out of the apartment for unnecessary things a single time until school started.