The angel experiment

Chapter 6: A new beginning

The warm sun covered my face. I stretched out my arms across the damp grass.

“Hey Madeline, she is alive! I told she wasn’t dead.” I heard from a voice above me.

Confused, I opened I my eyes sleepily only to see two young girls leaning over me. I
instinctively jumped on my feet, eyes wide open. Why hadn’t I sensed them coming?
Stupid me. I have to be on guard 24-7 if I plan on making it much longer.

“Who are you?” I quickly questioned.

The one on the left answered. I recognized her voice as the one who had spoken earlier.

“I’m Tonny.” she told me. She had large brown eyes and freckles across her nose. Her hair was just past her ears, light brown and messy.

“This is Madeline.” she informed me, gesturing to the small girl beside her. Madeline had
thick black hair with large curls starting just below her ears and spiraling down her back. Her bangs ran straight and across her face, near her light blue eyes.

The were angel experiments? But the were so young. “How old are you two?”

“I just turned 12.” Tunny animatedly said. “Madeline is 9.”

“Are you two sisters?” I looked down at both of them. They didn’t look too much alike, especially their skin tone. Tonny had an olive complexion, almost as if she had been in the sun a lot. And Madeline’s skin was pale white.

“Nope.” Tonny replied very matter-of-factly. “I only met Madeline a few days ago when I ran away.”

“Where are you from?” I was sure I had never seen either of them around town before.

“I’m from back east. I lived in a town called Cobra.”
Cobra. I was familiar with that town. My father had went on several business trips their. It was pretty far away, from what I knew of it.

Tonny continued, “And I’m not so sure where Madeline’s from. I met her on the outskirts of that town.”

I put my hands on my bare knees and bent down so our faces were level. “Hey Madeline, do
you remember where you’re from sweetie?” We locked gazes but she didn’t respond.

“Good luck getting an answer out of her.” Tonny laughed a bit. “She doesn’t talk.”

“At all? Well how did she tell what her name was and how old she was?”

Tonny paused, thinking of a response. “She didn’t tell me. No one told me.”

“Tonny. come on, that doesn’t make sense.” What was she trying to tell me.

“I just knew. I knew those things.”

“So what you saying is-”

“I’m saying I’m a freak. I’m saying that I know certain things about people. Just like I know you’re names Ryna. You’re 16. And there’s this person.” she paused. “I think he means a lot to you.”

Who was she talking about.

“Luke, Lane? No. Ryna, who’s Landry?”

Chills went down my back. She really did just know all this stuff. “Oh he’s no one important, not anymore.”

For the first time i noticed a denim bag on Tonny’s shoulder. It must have been to hold some of her belongings much like the small backpack I was carrying. It surprised me that Madeline didn’t have anything at all with her.

Both of them were dirty. Madeline’s delicate white dress had a few dirt stains on it and Tonny’s short beige shorts were dirt covered.

Suddenly, on reflex, I froze. Goosebumps rose across my arms. All my senses were focused. I looked ahead of me. Past the trees and on. Past the road about a mile and a half away. I saw a group of males all with blonde hair. They looked like angels but I sensed something off-key about them. They were all wearing black clothes. What were they?

I then noticed Tonny tugging on my arm. “Ryna, what’s wrong?”

Then it clicked. I couldn’t speak. I was terrified. “We have to get out of here. Come on!” I ran as fast as I could and prayed that Tonny and Madeline were following.

When they caught up to me, relief filled my system.

“Ryna, what did you see?” Tonny asked when she caught up. Madeline was struggling to keep up. Her tiny legs couldn’t carry her far. I felt bad for her but also helpless.

I was running out of breath the further we went, “It’s the Taks. There not far behind us.”

Tonny didn’t say anything. We ran in silence till I thought I was going to faint from exhaustion. But I couldn’t just stop in the middle of the forrest and give in this soon. I was going to put up a fight. Then something caught my eye. A cave, Perfect.

Out of breath I gave out the orders. “There’s a cave not too far ahead of us. We’ll stop their.”

When we finally reached the cave, we all collapsed in exhaustion.

“Everyone okay?” my breath was thin.

Tonny brushed off her shorts. “Ya, Im fine.

I looked over in hopes for an answer from Madeline. Her eyes were closed and she was concentrating hard on something. She was quiet. She seemed to be deep in thought. What could she be doing?

“Ryna?” Tonny asked, interrupting my thoughts.

I hoped she wasn’t going to ask more about Landry. I was still kinda depressed when she had brought it up the first time. Just thinking about how I’ll never see him again. It bugged me that I cared so much. I had only met him yesterday.

“Ya Tonny”

“Um...do you think it’s weird that I know things about people before they tell me?”She was playing with a loose thread from her brown shirt. “Do you think I’m deformed or something?”

“No of course not.” I said, trying to reassure her. “That’s a gift. There’s nothing wrong with you at all.”

She seemed to be growing frustrated. “Well then tell me why I’m so different looking. Tell me why my hair is so much darker than everyone else’s. How come none of the kids at school wanted to be my friend.?”

“You know what?: I questioned. “What’s so bad about being different? Maybe different is better. Maybe being different is the key. I think were better than angels. And we can fly! Doesn’t everyone want to fly? We have powers and they don’t!”

She was still silent.

And It’s not you’re fault that the kids didn’t play with you. Their parents tell them not to play with angel experiments. But their missing out on a great person to play with.”
She was quiet but seemed less angry.

“And as far as looks go, I think you’re far prettier than any low life angel. On the inside and outside. And that counts for a lot.”

“Tonny,” I said tickling her side. Come on. I cant have you and Madeline not talk. I think I’de go insane.” I laughed and se joined in.

“Okay, okay,” she agreed. “You’re right thanks.”

“Anytime.”

“So are the Taks gone.” she looked worried.

I didn’t want to frighten her anymore. “Ya they are.” It wasn’t necessarily a lie since I didn’t know if they or weren't. “I’ll go keep guard out side.” I decided. I went outside and let the cool evening air settle on my face.