A Tragic Tale of Lovers

Olive Trees

We met behind the olive trees. In the shadow of the slim trees we found a slender protection and a reason to huddle together. Thrown on the bulging grass around the roots on a spring day, she took my hand. I could tell there was something she wanted to tell me, and I listened eagerly. Though the shadows with their contrast to the white early light shivered upon our bodies and hid her face, her bright teeth shone and she couldn't hide that peaceful joy. I noticed something was leaning against the tree behind her and I reached for it, but her sweet mind had something else planned. She blocked by view took my other hand, piled the two atop each other and leaned toward me. She put her cool cheek next to mine, her mouth by my ears. That same playful wind as in the photo grabbed a hold of her hair and it sheltered my face from the leaning objects as she whispered:
- I have a surprise. It is a small one, but it's just for you.
My heart jumped. My face turned from confused to scared in a second. How I feared my surprise, for I felt I knew it. In the narrow shadows of our olive trees the cold teased me, running across my face and body between the scorching white sun beams. The branches that brought me little protection had no compassion for the fright that had me frozen.
Licia stood up, leaving my hands piled and my eyes wide open. The sun around her hair like a halo brought forth all the dark hairs lying around her face. An angel, I thought.
From her pocket she picked up an old cloth. It was torn in the edges, but bright red and soft to my fingertips as I touched it. Licia formed it in her hand and held it up to my face. As the creased surface of the old cloth closed around my head I couldn’t hold my question.
- What are you doing?
Licia smiled. I couldn’t see it, because that soft cloth was closing in around my eyes, tightly. But I could feel it.
- What do you think I’m doing, silly?
I was afraid to answer.
I heard her come back down to her knees beside me. By the shade cooling my face, I could sense her face closing in. Her sweet lips closed around mine for a brief second. They were as warm and soft as the damned rag that clenched my sight and kept my worries close to me. My febrile fingers fluttered nervously. They searched for something to hold onto, something to comfort their wriggling nature. They both found their way to her hands and held them close to me. With some resistance I managed to lead them around my back, placing them confusingly on my back. I felt as though my end of it was done, as waited a short while for her to act. Honestly, I wanted the case to be so. I wanted Licia to come closer and get it over with. But she pulled her hands away and smiled another smile beyond the red that hugged my sight.
- Now what are you doing? I want to give you your surprise.
I bit my lip, trying to place my words the right way. I wanted to say something to make her understand I knew and that I was ready, but still not spoil her moment to surprise me.
- I know.
I bit my lip again and waited for her answer. But instead the hot burn of the sun overhead answered me, as she moved away. From some feet away, I could hear her giggle. Suddenly, the familiar sound of a pen to a paper appeared from where ever she was. Quickly they absorbed any sounds of movement or breathing. No lip could be bitten enough to prevent my next question.
- Licia, please; tell me what it is you are doing!
The scribbling daubing from her direction ceased for a while. Then she answered again, with a laugh.
- I am drawing you, Eva! Hold still or I won’t get your waist right. But I know that if I would not blindfold you, you would be on your feet every second to see how far I’d got. You’re hopelessly impatient, you know! This way, it does not matter if you are up and around or sitting where you should. You cannot see a thing! See, I am a very clever girl that way. What did you think I was doing anyway?
I didn’t need much time to answer.
- It’s a secret for some day when you might need cheering up. See, I am a very clever girl that way.
Licia’s unmistakable laughter sound all around. I could imagine her smiling eyes before that. That brought my quickly to a question I was sure she would find an as irreproachable answer for.
- I think you are forgetting something. If my eyes are bound, how could you draw them?
Nothing in the world could prepare me for her answer. I couldn’t help to feel warm inside.
- Are you teasing my poor intellect? I would know your eyes if they were on a dog. I would know them from a thousand miles a way. I could draw your beautiful eyes even if I had none.