‹ Prequel: How We Operate
Sequel: These Days

How It Should Be

20:00

"My brother is getting married." Violet sat on her front stoop in Punxsutawney with a glass of eggnog and Matt on the other end of her phone.

"That fat one?"

"Yeah, like Patrick could ever get a girl friend. He's like size quadrillion and he's the definition of ass-hat."

"Oh. So Ryan is getting married to the blond stick?"

"Shannon." Violet sneered. "I mean, I come home with news that hey! Violet has a boyfriend again! A center forward! And every one is mildly happy by this and then Ryan walks in with Shannon on his arm and she holds up her hand and everyone forgets I'm dating one of hockey's greatest."

"You sound bitter. Are you sure you aren't Jewish?" Matthew chuckled. "Why didn't you bring Evgeni home with you?"

"He has a stupid game is New Jersey tomorrow so the whole team had to leave like an hour ago." Violet sighed and had some more eggnog. "Can I become a Weinstein please?" Matt laughed.

"Vi, you've only got three more hours left there and then you can go home. We only live two hours away. So I say, stop drinking so you can drive, and just go play guitar hero with you ten year old cousins."

"Last year all I wanted for Christmas was a boyfriend and this year I have one but it's like I don't have him because he isn't here."

"Stop. Just...no. You have to stop. I'll head home tomorrow and we'll go to the movies and then watch the game. Now, guitar hero or risk drinking and having to spend the night!"

"Goodbye Matthew."

"Goodbye Violet." Violet hung up the phone and instead of sauntering into the living room to play with her cousins Violet stayed put on the porch swing. It was there on the swing with her eggnog Mark Ghwere drove down the street. She recognized Mark's big, white SUV and could hear the pumping beat of whatever rap he was listening to. He must've saw her too because he slowed down and rolled down the window.

"I see you still listen to rap when you drive!" Violet called out to him.

"Listen!" Mark turned up the volume even more. "This is the mix you made me in junior year!"

"Oh gosh! Citizen Cope! Ahh remember when you took me to see him? That was a great night!" Violet laughed.

"It was." Mark nodded. "Anyway, I have to go get milk. See you around Vio," Mark drove off and Violet waved. Mark was the only person to ever call her Vio. She had almost forgotten that was his name for her and it brought back a plethora of memories from their time together. Violet shook her head to clear the thoughts from her mind and pulled her phone out again, this time dialing a newly familiar number.

"Merry Christmas, Violet!" Jordan Staal picked up her boyfriend's phone.

"Merry Christmas, Gronk." Violet didn't feel like letting Jordan cheer her up and waved off his jokes and Christmas-y puns. "Can I please talk to Geno?"

"What if I say no?"

"Gronk..."

"Fine, here." Violet listen to a scuffle and heard a muffled Russian curse from Evgeni.

"Hello, baby." Evgeni said to her in his natural tongue. Violet felt her cheeks heat up and any lingering memories of her and Mark faded in her mind.

"Hey! Merry Christmas! Are you guys in New Jersey now?"

"Yes. On way to dinner. How you?"

"I'm okay. My brother just announced he's getting married." Violet shrugged.

"You no sound excited."

"He stole my thunder." Violet sighed and Geno asked her what she meant by that. "I tell everyone that I finally have a boyfriend and now nobody cares. I guess I'm just being a baby."

"You're not being a baby. And I care. I'll be home in two days for the game against the Wild and then I don't have any games for two or three days. You and I can spend a lot more time together and forget about your family."

Violet laughed a little at him but nodded even though he couldn't see her. "You promise?"

"Promise."

"Alright. Well, I'll let you go to dinner. Sorry for bothering you."

"Never bother. See you soon?"

"Yup. I'll come to the locker room before the game when you're back home. Bye Geno."

"Bye Krahs'ny." Violet snapped her phone shut and walked back inside. She immediately made her way to the basement, avoiding her family and slipping down the stairs to the downstairs living room. There she found her father, Aldous, looking around his shelves of old records.

"Hi, dad," Violet said, sliding down into a bean bag chair.

"Listen." Aldous placed the needle on a record a turned the volume up slightly. Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit came on. "I found the original album. Remember? You loved them when you were little. I used to put on their music and you would wiggle around in just your diaper." Aldous smile fondly at his youngest child. "So when do I get to meet this Geno fellow of yours?"

"'This Geno fellow'? Dad! It's Evgeni Malkin! You know who he is!"

"Yes but you've never, ever officially introduced any of your boyfriends to me so I would greatly appreciate meeting this one!" Aldous, who had English parents and lived in England until he was about ten had lost most of his accent, but as he faked getting worked up his accent came on and made Violet giggled.

"Dad! You'll meet him eventually. I've only been dating him for about two weeks. It's way too soon to introduce him to this family."

"I see, I see. You don't seem too happy about your brother's engagement." Aldous observed, raising his eyebrows at Violet.

"Well, sure, Ryan's getting married and sure Shannon is perfect for him and blah, blah, blah, but I was never close with Ryan, or Patrick for that matter, so I'm not especially excited."

"Huh, you sound like me." Aldous rubbed his nose for a moment. "Will you be bringing Mr. Malkin to the wedding?"

"Provided that we're still together, yes."

"Are you planning on fighting this boy? What do you mean provided that?"

"He's not a goalie, dad," Violet watched as her father scoffed. "Look! I've never been with anyone but a goalie before so we have to see where it goes." Violet tipped her chin up and her father nodded at her.

"I see, I see. Alright, well let's go upstairs. It's about that time your mother is drunk enough to not really recognize me. She'll think I'm my brother Earl. Let's go." Violet trudged up the stairs and watched as her father slipped by her mother, winking at his daughter as he made his way toward the wine to fill his wife's glass. Violet shook her head at her dad and wandered off to finally go find her cousins.

In the midst of losing a round of guitar hero to a nine year old Violet's brother found her and beckoned her out onto the porch. Sighing, Violet handed the guitar to another one of the little children.

"Vi? You haven't really said anything to me all evening...are we cool? Is my engagement upsetting you?" Ryan bit his lip and looked at his baby sister. He and Violet were seven years apart and never got close but he liked to think that had a good relationship.

"No. The engagement doesn't upset me, I'm happy for you. You and Shannon work well together. I'm just upset about everybody's reaction is all."

"What do you mean?"

"Little Violet finally has a boyfriend she really, really likes, and could quite possibly be in love with, and no one cares because Ryan is ready to take the plunge." Violet shrugged. "I know, I'm acting like a baby but they've been pestering me about a boyfriend since I was fourteen and when I finally have one I think is worthwhile it's like he doesn't even matter."

"You have a boyfriend?" Ryan's eyebrows shot up. "Nobody told me! Who?" Violet stunned her brother didn't know gave him a pointed look. "I really didn't know! Shit!" Ryan rubbed the back of his neck. "I see what you mean about the reaction thing then....but who is it?"

"His name is Evgeni Malkin."

"Evgeni Malkin? As in star center for the Penguins Evgeni Malkin?" Violet nodded and Ryan sputtered for a bit. "Are you kidding?! I have to-you have to introduce me! Holy crap!"

"Yeah...that's more of the reaction I was hoping for from the family. Aunt Nora patted my hand and told me 'that's nice dear.'" Violet shook her head as Ryan burst out laughing.

"Oh, I'm sorry that's not funny." Ryan hugged his sister. "I'm going to go inside and make a huge deal out of this."

"What?" Violet pulled away stunned.

"You're dating one of the most loved men in all of Pittsburgh. I'm making a huge deal." Ryan grinned at his little sister and darted back in the house. Violet smacked herself in the face.

"Joy." She held open the front door as listened as Ryan started shouting how his 'baby' had a boyfriend who was "A FUCKING AMAZING HOCKEY PLAYER!" Violet had to hold in her laughter as Aunt Nora patted Ryan on the shoulder and told him that was nice but she wanted to hear about his wedding plans.

Ryan turned sheepishly and looked at Violet. "I tried." Violet smiled defeated.

"Thanks, Ry." Ryan smiled and turned back to their aunt. Violet sighed once he had turned around. Aldous several feet a way watched his daughter walk dejectedly back toward the porch where she would wait out the time until she could go back home.
♠ ♠ ♠
COMMENT! Woo! Sequel. Would've been up earlier but I went to the beach today :)