‹ Prequel: How We Operate
Sequel: These Days

How It Should Be

11:00

Evgeni called Violet that night to make sure she wasn't walking around on her foot so much. After failing to convince him that she was keeping off it she had to fork her phone over to Matt as Geno yelled at him for being a bad friend and not stopping Violet.

He bid her a goodnight because he had to go to sleep for the game the next day and Matt, again, told Violet he thought her boyfriend was mean.

"All he ever does it yell at me! Make Violet sit, make sure she doesn't walk! Hey, you have a free will that I cannot always tickle out of you." Matt grunted before stalking out of Violet's room and slamming the door shut.

Violet had conveniently forgotten to tell Evgeni that her ex-ex-ex-boyfriend was coming to stay...but she didn't think it could be a problem. Geno's parents would be visiting and at least now Violet would have someone to hang out with. Matt and Julie had dates planned for the next week and Violet knew she'd get lonely. At least with Mark she could reminisce about all of her old times.

Speaking of Mark, just as she was curling up under her covers to sleep her phone buzzed with a text. She opened it up and found it was a picture message. With no words, just a picture, Violet saw Mark had found one of them at the game where he was named number one goalie in the state their senior year. Mark was surrounded by his team, hugging and whooping and in the center, with a clear circle around them Mark was embracing Violet. He held her tightly and the snap shot had caught his helmet falling just before it hit the ice. Violet had hurled herself onto the ice to celebrate. It was one of their happiest memories together.

Violet felt herself well up and she curled herself around the phone that evening to sleep. In the morning she woke up to it ringing, and it was her boyfriend Geno. She watched the picture flash to the incoming call screen and felt a jolt of emotion. Irritation or what, it did not make her feel good.

"Hey, Geno, it's early." Violet mumbled into the phone.

"I just wanted to say hello. How'd you sleep?"

"Well, I had good dreams."

"All about me, I hope," Evgeni chuckled and Violet smiled. In fact, she couldn't remember who she had been dreaming about, just that she was angry she was awoken from such a happy dream.

"So when will I see you tomorrow?"

"Early." As he said this Violet got a bright idea. She smiled to herself and chatted quietly with Evgeni before hanging up. She stretched and walked into the living room to find Matt sitting on the couch and looking pointedly at her.

"You were just on the phone with him! You'd think that you wouldn't walk on your goddamn leg!"

"Enough with the leg! I'm going to freaking call the doctor and get proof I can walk on the goddamn thing! You're both psychotic." Violet grunted and walked into the kitchen to shaking her head. As she pulled out a piece of cold pizza she turned and saw Matthew standing over her shoulder. She shrieked and nearly dropped her pizza. "You fucking creeper! What the hell?"

"You're in a strange mood." Matt said. Violet ignored him and sat down on the counter with her pizza. "Why?"

"I just miss Geno is all." Violet said through a mouthful pf pizza. She did miss Geno but Mark was on her mind a lot now. She was getting really excited to see him.

"Riiiiight," Mathew drew out the syllables before raising his eyebrows at her and sauntering away. He seemed to be doing that a lot lately. Violet rubbed her eyes and set about readying herself for the day.

*************************************************************
When her day was finished Violet made her way to the house. But not to hers. To Evgeni's. He was getting in tonight late and had promised to go over to see her early. But why wait? Violet had the code to his garage.

She slipped inside his dark house and went about cranking the heat and turning on lights. She found herself in the kitchen after she'd showered and dressed in comfy pajamas and was about to make herself some dinner when her phone rang.

Mark.

"Marky mark! What's good?" Violet felt herself sink back into her familiar self. The old terms and vernacular came easy.

"Vio! Absolutely nothing is good. I'm bored out of my fucking mind. Is it Monday yet? I want it to be Monday because that means I can come and see you." Violet rolled her eyes.

"You know, there is a Flyer's game on if you are truly bored-"

"Hey! I'm not that bored!" Mark laughed along with Violet. "Fuck Vio, you always push my buttons."

"What can I say? It comes naturally."

"Oh, like a few other things that came naturally to you?" Violet could hear the suggestive hint in his voice and felt herself blush a deep, deep shade of scarlet.

"Don't be a perv, Mark."

"I'm bored."

"I know." Violet and Mark then proceeded to spend the next hour and a half on the phone talking about how bored they were and eating together, describing their food in detail. Violet didn't hear the garage door open or the footsteps into the kitchen.

"That's the grossest thing I've ever heard." Violet was saying as she was closing the dish-washer.

"What is?" Geno asked, plopping down his bags loudly.

Violet nearly dropped her phone and yelled before telling Mark she'd call him back. She flung herself into his arms and kissed him.

"You not supposed be up."