‹ Prequel: How We Operate
Sequel: These Days

How It Should Be

3:00

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY LITTLE ONE!" Matt shouted, jumping onto Violet's bed with her. Violet groaned and buried herself under the covers. "NO NO WAKE UP IT'S YOUR BIRTHDAY, WE HAVE TO SPEND THE WHOLE DAY CELEBRATING THEY ALREADY GAVE ME OFF WORK C'MON LET'S GO!" Matt pawed at the covers rabidly until he uncovered Violet.

"Does celebrating involve napping?" Violet asked. Matt's eyes widened in disgust and shock.

"NO OF COURSE NOT."

"Then I need to sleep for another hour," Violet said, laying back down on her pillow.

"No, we're partying. And by that I mean you and I are going to the liquor store the moment it opens this morning to buy delicious stuff."

"Ohh, that's a fun trip." Violet rubbed her eyes and sat up and went about getting dressed as Matt left the room. Violet walked into the living room dressed and sleepy and Matt thrust a cup of coffee and a bowl of Dinosaur Egg Oatmeal in her hands.

"Is this what I think it is?" Violet asked, stirring the porridge around.

"Where the dinosaur eggs hatch and you have sugar dinosaurs embedded inside your oatmeal?" Matt smiled at her.

"YES!" Violet took a huge bite and followed Matt out the front door. Everyone they saw on the street Matt informed it was Violet's birthday. A very biker guy insisted on a hug. Violet had laughed almost the entire way to the liquor store.

"So, we need Vanilla, Blueberry, and Strawberry Vodka, Pernod, and a like, a million beers."

"And we're walking this back to the apartment?" Violet asked, her eyebrows raised, still holding her now empty bowl of oatmeal.

"Fuck no, we're taking a cab." Matt bought the whole load, part of Violet's present, and they carted their stuff back to the apartment where a few friends of theirs, non Penguins, were waiting to help them. Violet laughed at Matt's planning. They ended up hanging out for a few hours and then they're friends left. Matt presented her with her gift.

"Oh. My. God. This is epic!" Matt smiled proudly as Violet unwrapped the gift and came face to face with a giant stuffed shark.

"I'M NAMING IT PUDDING!" Violet shouted and fell to the ground with it, laughing. Matt was laughing really hard too but was able to hear the door buzz. Without answering he let the person up and went into the kitchen to throw little pieces of tuna at Violet and the shark called Pudding.

Geno came upstairs a little while later to that very scene. He remembered what Jordan told him about Violet's birthday and thought of everything Violet and Matt did together and wasn't that surprised. He just stood in the door chuckling until they noticed him. Violet looked up first and her smile extended even further across her face.

"Happy birthday!" He said when Violet stood up, shark still in her hands. They hugged around it and then she let it flop to the floor and gave him a real hug.

"That was part of my present from Matt," Violet clarified when Evgeni eyed the shark.

"I have present too. Come my house get it?"

Violet looked over at Matt who sighed dramatically but then nodded.

"Fine. It'll give me time to move the furniture and get our ping pong table out of storage and get Harris's from him." Matt smiled and went to work moving things. Evgeni sent Violet a quizzical look.

"Don't worry about it, you'll see later." She told him.

***********************************************************************************
Evgeni and Violet walked in through his garage. They heard dishes clanging in the kitchen and when Mrs. Malkin smiled mildly but didn't say word.

"Mom, where is the gift?"

"Your father has it in the living room."
She nodded towards the door and Geno grabbed her hand and dragged her toward the door.

"Okay." Geno made her stop and told her to close her eyes. He then led her into the living room where she could hear Mr. Malkin chuckling to himself.

"Hands out." Geno said. Violet tentatively held her hands out and then felt a squishy furry object in her hands. She opened her eyes and saw a little orange kitten licking her thumb.

"Oh!" Violet laughed happily and cuddled that cat against her face. She then went and kissed Evgeni. "I love it! But I can't have it, I'm not allowed to have pets in the apartment." Violet said but she look at the cat and Geno saw her melting inside.

"But that good. Part of present." Violet raised an eyebrow at him. "Want you move in with me."

Violet's eyes widened and she stared at him.

"Please yes?" With every second Violet stared at him Evgeni became more and more nervous.

"How am I going to tell Matt?" Violet moaned and she crushed herself to Evgeni, almost crushing the kitten in between them. Evgeni visibly relaxed, and his father let out a jolly laugh.

"That yes?" He asked. Violet nodded into his chest and he hugged her. "What will you name the little girl?" Geno asked while petting the cat.

"Sid."

"Sid? Like Crosby?"

"Yes."

*******************************************************
Matt had transformed the apartment into party land. Two beer pong tables had been set up and all of the 'fancy' stuff they owned was put into Matt's room. A ton of their friends were there and twenty minutes in they were already drunk.

That's when the Penguins showed up, not expecting to be out-drunk by a bunch of random people. Sidney, Geno, Jordan, Kris, and Tyler had showed up. Violet was five beers deep and bounded over to her friends with her friend Erin in tow. (the kitten was safe at home - her soon to be home).

"Who's good at root?" Violet's friend asked. Tyler tentatively raised his hand and Erin grabbed him and dragged him toward the table. Kris, watching this, raised his eyebrows and followed.

"I think Kris likes E!" Violet sang and bounced around a little. "I want a mixed drink!" Violet ran into the kitchen, tripping twice on the way.

"She's a very poor drunk." Sidney commented. Jordan and Geno only nodded.

Several hours later Matt had succeeded in getting everyone drunk of their asses. He smiled proudly and sat down next to Violet and tucked her into the crook of her shoulder and kissed the top of her head. She sighed contentedly and giggled.

"Matt, you're the best,"

"I know, Vi, you are too,"

"I really like being your friend."

"I know. We're best friends, Violet,"

"Matt?"

"Yes, Vi?"

Violet looked up at Matthew, her best friend, her brother, and tucked her chin to her chest and nestled into his side better, looked up at him through her lashes. "You never let me do anything stupid, right?"

"Never, Violet, never."

"Evgeni asked me to move in with him. Is that stupid?"

Matt took a deep breath and inhaled Violet's scent. He sighed and looked down at Violet.

"Matt?"
♠ ♠ ♠
More comments = less cliffhangers