‹ Prequel: How We Operate
Sequel: These Days

How It Should Be

1:00

The wedding went off well. Matt and Evgeni sat together and made faces at Violet in her orange dress the entire ceremony. They had a lot to drink and were all merry when they wen home. Being drunk Matt told Violet what had happened with Julie.

She was sorry. She missed him. Matt didn't know what to think. But then he met Violet's cousin Laura and wasn't confused anymore. He had a date with Laura in the morning. He waved goodbye to Violet and Geno and they made their way to Evgeni's house.

Violet claimed that she wanted to see her kitty. "Siddy!" She whispered, scooping up the kitten and rubbing her against her face. Sid purred and licked Violet's nose. Evgeni laughed and hugged Violet from behind, rubbing his nose on the cat too.

Violet giggled softly and Geno kissed her too. Mrs. Malkin had been awake, coming downstairs and saw this from the kitchen doorway. She smiled to herself and turned around, deciding not to disturb the happy couple.
****************************************************************************

Violet woke up the next day alone in Evgeni's big bed. She sighed and crawled out and padded downstairs to the kitchen. Mr. and Mrs. Malkin appeared to still be sleep in the guest room. Violet made her way into the kitchen and saw a bowl of still-warm oatmeal sitting on the counter next to a glass of orange juice with a post it on it.

She grabbed the post it first.

Enjoy! - Evgeni

Violet shook her head but a big smile spread across her face. It was her favorite brand and Evgeni had added brown sugar and a dash of milk, just like Matt would. Violet grabbed the phone and dialed her best friend to tell him.

"I'm not surprised, he'd called me and asked what you like to eat for breakfast."

"Really?" Violet couldn't believe it, she didn't realize that Evgeni would think to do that.

"Yeah, he also asked what snacks you like to keep in the house and blah blah blah. He really wants you to be happy."

"Maybe I can dress you up like a stray dog and claim I found you and I want to keep you. Then I'd be really happy."

"I don't know, Vi, would you really be happy if I moved in with you and your boyfriend? I think Evgeni may break up with you, he only knows half the weirdness that goes on between us."

"But who's going to take care of me?"

"Your boyfriend, Vi." Matt laughed.

"But Evgeni's the boyfriend! The best friend takes care of me, that's the deal."

"Just because you've moved in with Evgeni doesn't mean we've not best friends anymore. Have you not been listening to the pacts we've been making since Freshman year? Stop being a hobo and listen to yourself for a minute."

"Yeah, I guess." Violet stirred her porridge around for a moment.

"You guess? You know! How about this? After work you come over and we play Mario Kart and eat a pizza and then go to the game?"

Violet thought for a minute and then nodded even though Matt couldn't see her.

"Was that a nod I heard?"

Violet laughed. "Yes."

"Good. I'll see you at three -thirty."

"Alright, love you." Violet said, smiling, fingering the post-it her boyfriend who loved her left her.

"Love you too," her best friend said. "And don't forget, everything is going to turn out how it should. And you've always got me."

"And I've always got you."

*************************************************************************

Evgeni came home from practice that day and gave Violet a big hug. She hugged him back. She had her best friend. She had her boyfriend. She had a good life. It was how it should be.
♠ ♠ ♠
Maybe one last sequel? Afterall there are 3 periods in a hockey game. I'd need support for that, though.