Status: On going story. Star Wars fanfiction; sexual situations, violence.

The Channel

Chapter 12

The day passed quickly -- far too quickly for Selera. Obiwan was knowledgeable about everything and he answered her questions without making her feel stupid. Selera found herself flirting coyly; and to her delight, he returned the favor in kind. Several times during the day he tried to touch her, but she withdrew casually, turning it into a flirting game.

"You are a tease," he said finally on their trip back to Coruscant from the moon. They were sitting at very nearly opposite sides of the seat from one another.

"I'm only a tease to those men I like," she answered. "And to be honest, Obiwan, I like you a lot."

"Yes, I sense that," he answered as he tried to slide in close to her, but she coyly moved just out of reach.

"You are not allowed to touch me until...." she sat thinking, "...until after the cotillion." And she imagined him and her locked in a deep and passionate kiss.

"An empty promise?" he asked.

"Not this time," she said and smiled. "The Senator expects me to be a lady," she continued, "But he also thinks I should test the waters, so to speak."

Obiwan's eyebrows shot up in surprise, "He <i>wants</i> you to...." he wouldn't finish.

"Well, I'm not sure he has the same thing in mind that I do when I talk about 'seeing the world'," and she laughed. "But he thinks even a young lady of breeding should be prepared before she goes out into the world."

The young Jedi's mouth draped open. She laughed at him. "Come, take me back to my apartment so I can get ready for the Cotillion."

"Is that proper?" he asked.

"No less proper than you and I site seeing alone together. Besides, you are just dropping me off. It not as if I'm taking you to my bed....yet," she teased again.

She knew she would never have talked this way in front of anyone but the apprentice and she made sure he knew it. "Besides, I don't imagine we would be missed if we left the cotillion early," she said, turning away to look out the window. "Those old diplomats will be more absorbed in their politics and intrigue than they will the presence of two young people."

"Yes, that much is for certain," he answered nodding his head, knowing how those functions went. He moved closer to her, but did not touch her. Sensing his closeness, Selera turned back to face him. They sat a moment looking at one another. But Obiwan's expression was that of inquiry -- almost as if he were looking for something on her face.

"I must admit, that there is something very different about you" he spoke quietly. "You have a definite presence, even though your every thought is readily available to me."

"What am I thinking now?" she asked.

"You're wondering if a Padawan is allowed to have a love interest."

"And what is the answer to that?" she asked.

"Master Yoda seemed to think that you and I are a good match for one another," he answered. "Although it is very rare that the council allows a Jedi to marry.

Selera slid away from him.

"So you're only here because you were told to be here?" she accused. Her faced changed to shock and betrayal, mouth slightly open in surprise.

Obiwan smiled and shook his head in his own defense. "No, no, that's not what I meant. Actually, I'm here because I begged and pleaded with my own master to let me. Qui Gon was not in favor of anything of the sort. He thought you would....distract me."

Selera smiled pleasantly at that thought, "And, have I distracted you?"

"More than you will ever know," he answered. "And probably more than I should let you."

"But you didn't answer my question," she said. "Are Padawans allowed to be....involved."

"One Master Jedi had six wives. I don't imagine they would begrudge an apprentice a single love interest," he replied. "In fact, I think Master Yoda was heartily in favor of such a union."

Selera was surprised to hear this. <i>Was the Jedi High Council member actually trying to find a mate for her as he had jested upon her arrival?</i>

"I don't know, but he was very impressed with you. And, believe me, I've never seen Master Yoda that impressed with anyone that wasn't a Jedi."

Selera knew Yoda must have an idea of her powers, or at least he suspected something. Perhaps he simply wanted to assure that she stayed close to the light side? But to Selera, light side, dark side, it was all the same. At least is seemed that way. She could not see much difference between the two.

"We're almost there," Obiwan said, snapping Selera out of her reverie.

"Hmm?"

"You were wondering how far it was to your home," he answered.

Selera had to recalled her mundane mental droning. "Oh, yes, I'm sorry. Thank you."

"Obiwan," Selera said his name slowly, hesitant to ask the next question. "Are you considering....getting involved with me because Master Yoda is impressed with me?"

"As highly I might consider Master Yoda's opinion, no," he answered, relaxing back a little more. "To be honest, the first time I saw you at your arrival on Coruscant, I never thought I'd be able to get this close to you, let alone escorting you to the Cotillion."

"Have I disappointed you at all?" she asked.

He looked at her and shook his head. "Not at all: you're smart...witty...beautiful. Most women -- even those gifted in the Force -- have never intrigued me as much as you. But you are....different. And we have a clear connection. I don't know what that is, but I believe even Master Yoda was aware of it."

Selera admitted that they had much in common and talking to him was much easier than talking to Maul or Palpatine.

"I'm glad you think so," he answered, then lowered his voice, "Can I admit something to you?"

Selera nodded.

"Do you promise not to laugh?"

Selera nodded again, smiling, not knowing what to expect.

"I dreamt about you for several weeks before your arrival here on Coruscant," he admitted. "When I finally saw you, it was if I had been struck by lightning."

Selera looked at him, not knowing what to think. She was definitely taken by the young man and his easy demeanor. So unlike Maul.

She didn't know why she did it, but she leaned forward. Obiwan closed the gap, anticipating Selera's next move. Selera gave him a precocious look and said, "A vision of things to come." She stretched forward and kissed him gently on the side of his mouth. She felt the familiar draw of energy through her, but it was only momentary before she withdrew.

Selera watched his face dissolve into a look of shock. She pressed her lips together, suddenly concerned she broke her promise to Palpatine.

She reached forward to take his hand, but stopped short, knowing what would happen if she did.

"Please, Obiwan," she shook her head. "Please, don't tell anyone. I want to spend more time with you, but not in front of the Jedi Council."

"You knew," he stated, the shock still on his face.

"Now you understand why I don't touch people who are strong with the Force," she looked at him sadly. "<i>Please</i>, Obiwan," she begged.

He smiled. "I won't tell anyone," he answered. "That's something you'll have to do yourself."

Selera smiled and caught herself sighing slightly.

"Here is your apartment," he said. "I look forward to our evening together, My Lady." He stood up and looked at her, "I will return one hour before the cotillion, to pick you up, I don't care what protocol I might be breaking."

Selera gave him a warm smile and then stood up. "I'll be ready."

He opened the shuttle door and left her on the front step of Palpatine's apartment before sailing away.