Status: On going story. Star Wars fanfiction; sexual situations, violence.

The Channel

Chapter 8

The ship landed on an air dock. It was high in the sky, floating in a stationary position with nothing but a relatively small ramp leading to a transport. When the airlock finally opened, Selera straightened herself and stepped from the ship.

She was greeted by the Senator, who was at the base of the steps. She smiled immediately upon seeing him. There were others, about fifteen in all, but they did not appear to be there for her arrival. She made her way down the steps and gave the Senator the required kiss on the cheek before he grabbed her and hugged her like a long lost child.

“It is good to see you, My Dear,” he said as the others approached. “I hope your journey was not too arduous.”

“It was as much as could be expected, but I am well rested,” she played along with the charade.

“These people are from the Jedi High Council, they arrived shortly before you. Come, I will introduce you,” he said, taking her by the elbow and escorting her to the people. How convenient, she thought, an entire group of Jedi to test her new skills upon. She still managed to maintain her dual thought process and keep others who would read her mind out of it. Palpatine was taking a great risk by exposing her to such a trial so early after training.

She was introduced, one-by-one, to several people. She knew she would not be able to touch any of them unless instructed to do so. She bowed her head graciously to each one, exchanging nothing but courteous pleasantries.

“I would like you to meet Master Yoda of the Jedi High Council,” he motioned to the three-foot tall, green creature before her.

She concealed her surprise and bowed to him as well before turning to Palpatine. “You did not tell me that I would be meeting such distinguished people, Senator.”

“Well, when one is trying to help your mother marry off her youngest child and only daughter, you tend to be a little more selective with the people you let her meet.” Palpatine responded.

Selera was surprised and sighed heavily at the comment. She eyed her “Uncle” with disdain.

“Marry she will, when ready she is, I think,” Yoda finally answered with a laugh. “Escort to the cotillion with me, you will?” he asked Selera.

Selera nodded, “Yes, it would be a great honor.”

Yoda laughed and then lowered his voice, “Introduce eligible Jedi to you, I can.”

Selera sighed, and responded “Not you too?” She worked hard at keeping her real thoughts behind a mask of innocence. “I was not aware that many Jedi were allowed to marry. Besides, I was hoping I could enjoy myself while I was here,” she said eyeing Palpatine. He sensed the double meaning, even though she still clouded her thoughts from him.

“Good time young people seek always,” Yoda answered with a sigh. “Old though I am, bad time I will not show you.”

“I will hold you to that, Master Yoda,” she replied, smiling kindly at the odd little creature.

“Time here you enjoy,” he said briefly before turning to Palpatine.

“I will, thank you,” she replied. Senator Palpatine and Yoda made some small talk while she looked around the platform at other people whom she did not get to meet. She supposed they were all dignitaries of some sort or another. Then she caught site of a pair of men, standing on the edge of the platform. They were talking to one other. The older of the two appeared to be bored, as if waiting for something, but the young man standing next to him was wide eyed and appeared to be enjoying himself.

When the young man turned around, she saw a long, narrow braid down his back. She knew it was the sign of a Jedi apprentice. He was pleasant to look at as well.

“Caught her fancy, our young apprentice has, mmmm?” Yoda said to her, startling her out of her thoughts.

“Oh, uh, yes…I mean, no…I mean, I was just wondering…” she stammered through a response.

“An introduction make we can, I think,” Yoda said. He leaned forward and whispered to Selera: “Master approve not, I’m sure, but young apprentice, fun also needs.”

Selera smiled at him. Palpatine tugged at her elbow. Selera bowed her head and wished the Jedi High Council member a good day as she followed Palpatine from the platform. But not before she made sure she caught the eye of the young Jedi apprentice.

“Tastefully done, My Dear,” Palpatine commended, when they were alone in his shuttle.

“I’m glad you approve, My Lord,” she answered, bowing her head in respect.

“Neither you nor Maul have disappointed me,” he continued.

Selera smiled, pleased that he was happy. She did not want to end up back in his bed.

“I want your thoughts, My Dear,” he said, “Do not cloud them from me when we are alone.”

“Yes, My Lord,” and she let down her defenses with a sigh.

“It is difficult to maintain, isn’t it?” he responded. “But you have done an exemplary job,” he continued his praise. “And you must give more effort than most because you are so easily read.”

“Thank you,” she responded again.

“And, no, you will be sleeping alone tonight,” he answered, “Unless Lord Maul desires your company. He does seem rather fond of you.”

Selera said nothing and made sure her mind was blank. Keeping her mind blank was almost as difficult as clouding her thoughts.

“What do you want, Selera, My Girl?” he asked suddenly.

“Want?” she was confused.

“A reward for your hard work,” he explained.

Selera thought a moment, “I would like to visit my home again, I think.”

“Fine, I shall arrange it then,” he beamed at her as he tugged off his gloves and shoved them in his cloak pocket. “But I want something from you first.”

“Yes, My Lord?”

“I want you to show me what else you have learned,” he said as he approached her. He touched her arm and slid it down to her hand, which he grasped. “Show me that young Padawan’s conversation with his master.” After he had said it, he began drawing her energy. She had learned to navigate the energy and direct her thoughts to a certain place or person. The two men were no longer on the landing platform, but were on a shuttle. Master Yoda was with them. He and the elder Jedi were arguing:

“Master Yoda, I don’t think it is appropriate for an apprentice to entertain young courtiers,” the elder said.

“Qui Gon, understand I of Obiwan you are protective, but of this I must insist,” Yoda replied.

“This is highly irregular,” Qui Gon protested crossing his arms defiantly. He was very agitated

“That may be, but reason I have.” Yoda maintained his calm. “Hush, now. Watched we are.”

Palpatine released her and looked at her gravely. “Very good.”

“You weren’t counting on that, were you, My Lord?” she asked.

“I knew it might be possible,” he replied. “You noticed, however, that only the strongest of them could perceive us.”

“What do we do?” she asked.

He gave a wry smile. “That means we practice more and hone our craft until we are undetectable.”

Selera smiled at him. She liked the cat and mouse games. And if it got her close to that Padawan, all the better.