‹ Prequel: Long Gone

Coming Clean

Mom and dad

Today as soon as I woke up, I called Cynthia and told her that me and Brandon would be dropping by around noon. When I told her she got really excited.

I was in the kitchen making pancakes for breakfast when I heard Brandon walking down the stairs. “Morning hun.”

“Morning baby,” he whispered in my ear wrapping his arms around my waist.

“Smells good,” He said walking over to make himself a cup of coffee.

“Yeah, their almost ready.”

When we finished eating, I watched as he washed the dishes.

“Brandon,” I spoke as he dried his hands.

“Yeah.”

“I’m going to go see my sister…… and my mom and dad.”

“Realy.”

“Uhu.”

“When are we leaving?” he asked happily.

“In a couple of hours.”

“Ok, I’m a go get ready.”

I nodded, but remembered, “Brandon, tomorrows Adie’s Birthday.”

“Oh yeah, I had totally forgotten.”

“Can I ask you for a favor?” I asked in the sweetest voice.

“Is it going to kill me?” He asked kissing me on the forehead.

I chuckled and explained to him what I wanted him to do.

He agreed to accomplish my favor and went upstairs to shower.

**

Two hours later, we were at the address I used to live many years ago. Brandon helped me out of the car and held my hand as we walked up the brick path that lead to the front door.

Without hesitation, I knocked on the door. Weather my parent’s want to see me or not, I’m here to see my sister.

There was no answer. I was about to know again when a lady opened the door. It was my mother. She smiled at both me and Brandon politely.

“Hi…mom.” I was hopping she remembered me.

She looked at me strangely, “Jean…” I nodded, “Oh my god,” She brought me into a hug, “Where have you been this whole time?” She let go of me, “How come you never replied to the letters we sent you?”

“Letter?” I asked confuse. She sent me letters?

“He never gave them to you.” She said in a whisper. “But forget about then, How have you been- stupid me, come in.” She moved out of the doorway and let us in.

As she lead us to the living room, She asked “And who might this fine gentleman be?”

My bad. I guess introducing them was the first thing I should have done. I took Brandon’s hand in mine, “Mom, this is Brandon, Brandon, this is my mother.

Brandon shook her hand, “Nice to meet you.”

Right before we took a seat, Cynthia came running down the stairs and threw her self on me, “Jean, I was starting to miss you-” She let go of me as soon as she spotted Brandon. “Hi.”

Brandon chuckled and wave hi.

“Um, Cynthia, this is Brandon,”

“Oh, so he’s your babies daddy?!”

“You have a baby?” I had totally forgotten my mom was here.

“Umm, yeeaaaahhhh, actually I’m pregnant, mom.”

A grin grew in her face, “I’m going to be a grandma?!… Is it a boy or a girl?”

“Um, actually,” Brandon wrapped a hand around my waist, “Were not sure yet. It could be a boy and a girl, two boys, or two girls.”

“Twins?! … Oh my god honey I’m so happy for you.” she gave me another hug and turned to give Brandon one too.”

“What’s all the ruckus in here?” My dad asked entering the living room. He looked at me and didn’t say anything and just opened his arms.

“Daddy!” I squealed as he kissed me on the cheek, “I’ve missed you.”

“Baby, guess what?” Mom didn’t even wait for him to answer, “Were going to be grandparents!” she gave my dad a kiss.

“Of twins.” Cynthia said holding up two fingers, but my dad showed no expression..

He stared blankly at Brandon, “Who is this?”

“Oh, Dad, this is Brandon.”

“Is he the babies dad?”

Ok, I have no idea why he was asking so many questions, but he was. I looked over at Brandon, not knowing what to say, “Um, Yes sir, I am.”

“Good.” My dad was smiling.

“So if your pregnant, your married?” Mom asked outside in the back yard, as we had a cup of coffee.

I cleared my throat, but not quick enough.

“Actually, Mr. and Mrs. Jones, that’s one of the reasons why we came.”

It is? I thought we were here to see my sister.

“You see, were not exactly married.” he took my hand in his.

“Look son,” My dad, sat u straight in his chair, “As long as you don’t hurt my daughter and your children, I‘m ok with that.”

“Thank you Mr. Jones.”

It was starting to get late and we had to go home. Mom kept insisting that we stayed,. I promised her that we would come back at least once a week.

On our way home, I asked Brandon, “Babe, what did you meant when you told my dad ‘you see that’s one of the reasons why we came?’” I asked mocking his words.

He chuckled and parked the car.

he stared at me with his deep blue eyes,took my hands in his and said . “Jean… I…I love you…”then took a deep breath and said, “Jean I’ve been wanting to ask you something.”