Status: This story has been completed.

Deadwood

Alive Again

I’m still not sure why the mirror was so important; I hadn’t ever come across anything about it. Perhaps because it’s twin was at the cottage, linking the two places together after the horrible murders. But Edmund screamed, his body sinking back into the surface. And with a thud, the mirror hit the floor and Edmund was no longer there with us.

There was silence as Oliver and I tried to gain our breath back. We were both unsure where we stood now. Thomas and Alice were supposed to be together, but their time was cut too short. Did that mean we were to pick off where they left of? I guess in a way, it wasn’t really picking up. We had simply found each other again, and that was how it was supposed to be.

Neither of us said anything as Oliver helped me up. He held out a hand, wanting me to give him the necklace. I did, still too stunned to really think clearly. He moved around behind me, and then I saw the necklace move over my eye sight and settle around my neck. Oliver had put it on me, and now he was standing in front of me again, admiring it. “Why didn’t you tell me you were having dreams as Thomas?” I asked in a hushed voice.

He cast his eyes down, looking properly ashamed. “I was scared, like I told you. But not just of losing myself. I was scared by what it meant, that you and I had found each other in a past life. Was this it? Had I found the other half of my soul, just like that?”

“Oh, Oliver,” I sighed, throwing my arms around his neck. “You are such a silly boy.”

The hug was meant to be innocent, like so many other times we had embraced. But this was different and new and wonderful. I quickly fell silent as he placed his arms around my waist, staring down into my eyes. This moment was so perfect; I wanted to ingrain it into my memory for always. He was the most handsome, breath-taking boy I had ever met and, as I knew, I ever would.

Slowly, as if he was afraid he’d startle me, he lowered his head to mine. I closed the distance between our lips and they collided, tender and loving. The sound of the mirror shattering brought us out of our firework filled kiss.

I cleared my throat, looking at the slivers of glass on the floor. “We should probably get going,” I said, just a little breathless. “What do you want to bet the mirror in my room did the same thing?”

Sure enough, when we reached my house Mom was all in a frenzy. “There you are! Thank goodness. It was getting late, and then the strangest thing happened. Your mirror shattered! Can you believe it? I was sitting in the kitchen, and I heard it happen…”

Mom trailed off, her eyes landing on mine and Oliver’s entwined hands. Then a wide smile broke across her face. “Why don’t you two go make yourselves comfortable in the living room. I’ll make some hot chocolate.”

Oliver had a smile to match Mom’s. I scowled playfully, then pulled him into the living room. We sat down on the couch in front of the fire place, my head resting against his shoulder. We didn’t speak for awhile; there was no reason to. “Happy birthday,” Oliver finally murmured, kissing my forehead.

The clock on the mantle struck midnight.
♠ ♠ ♠
And that, my friends, is the end of this story.

As always, the journey has been fun, and I hope it was for you too. :]

Thanks to everyone who commented and supported. You are loved!