Status: This story has been completed.

Deadwood

New Friend

Oliver ended up staying the rest of the day. He helped me rearrange my bedroom furniture and put posters up. During that time we got to know each other, asking random questions back and forth. It was so strange how much I got to know him in such a short amount of time. We were laughing at something random when Mom poked her head in. “Hey Oliver, would you like to stay for dinner? I’ve got spaghetti and garlic bread on the table.”

“I‘d love to, Mrs. Skelton. Let me just call my parents to let them know.” He accepted, a smile lighting up his handsome face.

He pulled a cell phone out of his pocket, quickly dialing a number and placing it against his ear. “Hey, Dad!” He greeted the person on the other end. “Mrs. Skelton invited me to stay for dinner. Is that alright?”

There was a muffled reply. “Okay, thanks! I should be home in a couple hours. See you then!” He hung up, sliding the phone back in the pocket.

“My mom really seems to like you.” I commented nonchalantly, placing a framed picture on top of my dresser.

He shrugged and gave me a grin. “Well, at least one of you do.” He teased, putting on a wounded look.

I rolled my eyes and crossed the room to my door. “Whatever, jerk. You coming? I’d like to eat before it gets cold.”

“Yes, Oh Great One.” He bowed mockingly and followed me out, receiving a soft punch on the arm from me.

Over dinner it was Mom’s turn to ask him questions, which he readily answered. “How’s the school?” She asked, glancing at me.

“It’s actually really nice. We’ve got some of the best teachers, and most of the student body is friendly towards everyone. It’s a great environment - I actually like school.” He joked.

I smiled down at my plate. “Well, that makes me feel just a teeny bit better about starting school in a small town.” I said. “And I’m glad I’ll know at least one person.”

Both my mom and Oliver smiled widely at this. I blushed, for unknown reasons. Mom had finished eating and swooped into the kitchen to take care of dishes, leaving the two of us alone to stew in a slightly awkward moment.

“So, if you feel like taking a break from unpacking, want to hang out tomorrow?” Oliver asked suddenly.

I glanced up quickly at him, hardly daring to believe I heard right. “Sounds good. What should we do?” I tried to seem casual, but my heart was beating fast.

He grinned. “I figured we’d go explore the woods. I know you’re itching to go.”

“Hell yeah I am!” I said enthusiastically before coughing and slumping back down in my seat. “I mean, yeah, I think that’ll be cool.”

It was so obvious he saw right through my act. “You know, it’s not a crime to get excited. It’s not like I’m going to think you’re any weirder than you are.” He said, standing and pushing his chair in.

I snorted and folded my arms. “Psh, whatever. I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

He just shook his head and chuckled. Then he glanced at the clock on the wall nearby. “Looks like I’ve got to get going.” He said reluctantly. “How about I come get you at noon?”

“Yeah, sounds good. That’ll give me time to sleep in.” I smiled indulgently, thinking of how great that would be.

Calling his thanks to my mother, he headed for the door with me following closely behind. I opened the door for him and then stood there, unsure of what to do. He cleared his throat then leaned down and gave me a hug, his cheeks pink. “I’ll see you tomorrow, Alyss.” He said rather gruffly.

I called good-bye and watched him walk into the star-lit woods, heading towards his own home. For a moment I just leaned against the door, staring off into nothingness. “Alyss?” My mom had come up behind me and she touched me gently on the shoulder. “He’s out of sight now. You can stop drooling all over yourself.”

Very quickly I jerked out of my dazed state and scowled at her. “I was not drooling. I was merely enjoying the starry night sky and…stuff.” I finished lamely.

She raised her eyebrows and smiled. “Mmhm. I totally believe that. Don’t worry, you’ll see your new-found crush tomorrow.”

“Mo-om.” I groaned, covering my eyes with my hand. “Stop it already. I do not have a crush on Oliver. I hardly know him.”

“Seems like you got to know him pretty well while he was helping you unpack your room for hours.” She continued her teasing as I stalked into my room and shut the door, finally cutting her off.

I sprawled out on my bed, huffing in annoyance. But a few minutes later I let out a great sigh. Maybe I did have a little bitty crush on Oliver Holmes. It wasn’t a huge deal, I told myself.

I knew that the next day wouldn’t come soon enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
Slow going, I know. Bare with me; it gets better, I promise. Just one more chapter of the mundane and then the exciting stuff will begin to happen.