Status: This story has been completed.

Deadwood

Spooky Realization

For a moment I couldn’t react. But then I started to move, and my body seemed to know exactly where the voice was coming from. I really, really didn’t want to look, but I couldn’t stop myself. My eyes were now locked on the mirror, and the hazy figure that was standing within.

I thought I’d never see you again, love.” The figure said in that same eerie whisper.

I swallowed, trying to make my mouth work. “I’m sorry, but I think you have me confused with someone else.”

The figure moved slightly, as if in silent laughter. “Oh no. I would know you anywhere, Alice. I’ve missed you so.

“I mean, sure I have the same birthday as her, and pretty much the same name. But I’m Alyss, A-L-Y-S-S. And it’s been almost two centuries since she was alive. I hate to break it to you…” I stopped babbling when I realized I didn’t actually know who I was talking to. “Who are you, anyway?”

A shadowy hand reached out and pressed itself against the glass. “Why, Alice, don’t you recognize me? It’s Thomas, your Thomas.

“There is no way in hell.” I breathed out, my eyes now as big as dinner plates.

There was some sort of strange pulsing, and the figure started to vanish. “Come find me, love. I’ll be waiting in your old room up at the house…” And then it was gone.

“Up at the house?” I said aloud, knees trembling slightly. Then it hit me. “Ohmygosh I need Oliver right now.”

I flipped out my cell phone and pressed the number I had programmed for speed dial. “Hello?” He answered finally, after the fifth ring. He sounded so tired, and I almost felt bad for waking him up.

“Oliver, I need you to come over right now. Something totally freaking weird just happened. And I think we have to go back into the woods.” I said in a rush, hoping he understood.

There was a tired sigh, and then the sound of movement. “Yeah, okay. I’ll be over in a few minutes. And this better be important, or I’ll never forgive you.” I could hear the smile in his voice, but I was too revved up from the encounter with the shadow thing to care about his teasing.

While I was waiting for Oliver, I paced around my room so much I thought I might start wearing out the floor. It seemed like ages before I heard the doorbell ring. I nearly ran over my poor mom in my haste to talk to Oliver. “Sorry!” I called over my shoulder, stopping just before I crashed into the front door.

She waved sleepily and headed back to the couch. When I threw the door open, Oliver stood there, looking disheveled. “Well, come in!” I hissed, grabbing his wrist and yanking him inside.

He stumbled along behind me back to my room and sat down heavily on the bed. “So what’s this all about and why couldn’t it have waited until after a nap?” He yawned and stretched.

“You’re not going to believe this…” I took a deep breath and dove into the story of the shadow in the mirror.

By the time I was done, he was wide awake and pacing my room like I had done earlier. “If I didn’t know you so well, I’d say you were nuts.” He paused and gazed out my windows at the tree line. “But I do believe you. I just don’t understand why we have to go back into the woods. That’s where all of this started!”

“I know.” I said impatiently. “But it was what he said, about being up at the house. It made me think.” I waited until he was looking me in the eyes. “What if this is the summer cottage?”

I could tell a light bulb had gone on in his head. He opened his mouth to protest, but then closed it again. I was glad it made sense to him, too. “So you think that if we go back in, we can find the old Quinn place. And maybe get some answers to this too weird mystery. Geez, this feels like something out of Scooby Doo.”

The sound of my laughter startled the both of us. “I seriously doubt Scooby has had problems like these.” I said, trying to lighten the mood.

It was clear neither one of us was too eager to venture back into the forest. But I knew that we had to. Something was telling me that was the course to take; and so I would, whether Oliver wanted to come or not. Although I sincerely hoped he did, because I didn’t relish the thought of trekking around alone with possible ghosts for company.

I felt less rushed now that Oliver knew and we had a plan of action. “You probably have no idea how long this is going to take, do you?” He asked with a sigh as I grabbed my hiking pack.

“Nope,” I tried to sound cheery, although I was feeling so cold. “Might as well bring something to eat just in case.”

Did I mention how much I loved my mom? Somehow she knew we would be going into the woods. So by the time Oliver and I came downstairs into the kitchen, she was putting carrot sticks in two brown paper bags. “Figured you’d need this,” She said simply, handing them over.

For a moment I had the strange impression that she knew. The way her eyes caught mine…but there was no way. So I thanked her and gave her a hug, telling her for the umpteenth time just how awesome she was.

Then Oliver and I stepped out the backdoor, and started our hike into the unknown.

Based on the information I could remember from the library, I had a vague idea which direction the house would be. “It’s probably not even standing anymore. Any number of things could have happened to it.” Oliver was saying as we walked through the dense vegetation.

“No. It’s still there. I know it is.” I said with determination. “Alice’s room was on the second floor, and that’s where he said he’d meet me.”

Oliver stopped walking and looked at me suspiciously. “How do you know her room was on the second floor?”

“Oh, I just…I think I read it somewhere today.” I stammered, realizing my mistake too late.

He knew I wasn’t being truthful, and folded his arms over his chest. “Alyss, what aren’t you telling me?”

I didn’t really want to divulge the dream; it felt too personal. But at the same time I realized he wasn’t going to budge until I did. With a heavy sigh I told him about Alice and Thomas, coloring when I came to the kissing part. I cut the explanation short there; he didn’t need to know about all the feelings and what not.

Without a word he turned and started walking again. I was startled by this, wondering if maybe I had said something offensive. “So you and Thomas…were a thing?” He finally said after a very long silence.

Before I could remind him that I wasn't Alice, the trees gave way. We both came to a stop and stared with gaping mouths at the spooky old house sitting ominously before us.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the long delay. I had a lot of inspiration for Stolen From My Eyes.

I also recently acquired a job, so that will cut into my writing time. Sorry!