Don't Make This Easy, I Want You to Mean It.

Twelve.

I grabbed Jack and Marissa swiftly, leading them away from Jodie and Alex, but keeping the pair well within eyesight.
"She got to him before I did," I told them. "I was going to tell him tonight. I've told him not to listen to her, but I don't know if he'll keep his promise."
"Shit, Jase," Marissa said, eyes wide.
"Jasey, don't worry. He'd never break a promise to you," Jack assured me. I nodded, but continued to gnaw on my lip and watch the two of them intently. I couldn't get it out of my head that he'd never actually said 'I promise' to me. Does that make Jack's comment void? I watched as Jodie flirted shamelessly with him, obviously not getting to the point yet. Alex didn't look happy to be stood there alone with her, his eyes continuously wandering, and usually landing on either Jack or myself, who were both watching him. He was in the middle of rolling his eyes to Jack when his head snapped back to her face and his jaw dropped. I waited for his expression to change. I heard Jack suck in his breath beside me, holding it. The seconds between his initial reaction and his change felt like hours as I waited. His face crumpled in confusion, then quickly changed again. Across his face I saw nothing but anger.
"Don't fucking lie to me about something like that!" He shouted. Shouting was good. Shouting meant I could hear the conversation. Shouting meant he didn't believe her. "You're not her! You're not even close! Don't bother me with your petty, selfish lies! You've been planning this! I knew someone would! I was told not to listen, and she was right! You're nothing but a pathetic liar, Jodie. You're nothing more!" And with that he stormed over to me, grabbing my hand and leaving the almost crying girl behind him. He was dragging me back into the crowded house, toward the crowded kitchen, where he could find something to forget that the crowd was everywhere. He picked up two shots from in front of a few boys from our school, passing one to me and downing his own before mine was even halfway to my lips.
"I plan to get as drunk as possible in the next 10 minutes, with you, while you explain what the fuck just happened out there with Jodie. Seeing as though you knew what was going to happen." I shuffled awkwardly as he started mixing Jager and whatever spirits he could lay his hands on. Jager got me shit faced so quickly, and judging by the way Alex was acting, I was sure it did the same to him. He paused for a second, halfway back over to where I stood, turned slightly and grabbed a litre of vodka hidden in the cupboard beside him. "Hold," he ordered, shoving the cups into my hands, filling the rest of the cups with vodka and taking one off me. The two of us threw a fair bit of the drink into our mouths, Alex more than I. "Now spill." His words were starting to slur already. I knew it was going to be safe for me to tell him without some form of thoughts about my 'lying' crossing his mind. I threw more of the drink into my mouth, Alex following suit. Even closer to it being safe.
“How about we look for your girl for a bit first?” I was trying to stall as long as possible, delay the inevitable. He finished off his drink, refilling the cup with vodka and adding the tiniest bit of coke.
“I’m done with her. People are just going to use it against me, I can’t let one girl be the reason everyone thinks they have a chance with me. There’s only two girls I would even consider letting have that option.” My heart was pounding, my head was spinning. I knew what he was implying.
“Who’s the second?” My mouth was dry; I gulped. My drink felt heavy in my hand, so I finished the drink as fast as I could and put the cup down on the counter next to Alex. He picked it up, filled it with vodka and coke, pressing it back into my hand.
“The most amazing girl I’ve ever met.” He sighed, running his hand through his hair and taking another drink. “The perfect girl for me… You, Holly.” He laughed at himself. “That sounded so corny, but it’s true.” My heart nearly leaped out of my chest at his words. I’d heard from so many people that he wanted to be with me, but hearing it from the man himself took it to a whole new meaning. It meant it was true. I threw almost all of the drink down on throat, Alex looking on as I did so, then copying the action.
“I’ve been keeping something from you,” I admitted. My body was going numb and my head felt dizzy. Ah, the familiar feeling of being drunk. “I haven’t lied, but I haven’t exactly been truthful either.” I could see Alex was as drunk as I, and I didn’t know if he or I would actually remember this in the morning. To be sure, I gave Alex a couple more shots, doing the same myself. If he wasn’t going to remember, it was better to do it thoroughly, no? “Sunday morning, 9:05. I got up and left my most recent mistake. Well, mistake at the time.” I fidgeted nervously; I couldn’t believe I was actually going to do this.
“Yeah, and 9:10 I was supposed to leave mine, but she’d already gone,” Alex grumbled. So I’d been only five minutes away from being left myself.
“Alex, the girl who left you… That girl was me. I didn’t think anything of it until Monday. You were just another boy in another bed, and then I met you. I heard you were going crazy over me…” I trailed off, looking up at him. He didn’t look mad. His jaw hadn’t dropped. He actually looked happy.
“I can’t believe I didn’t recognise you,” he breathed. “Why didn’t you tell me?”
“I thought you’d call me a liar, that I’d get a reputation worse than yours, and then that you’d reject me.” He looked at me, dumbfounded. Then did something I had hoped he’d do when I told him. He leaned closer to me, pulling my body to his and holding on tight. His hand slid behind my neck. His eyes shut when our noses touched, mine going with them.
And then he kissed me. The same gentle kiss he had given me in the hallway of our school. The passion built up, turning the kiss rougher. Pulling me up the stairs, we walked into what I supposed to be Rian’s brothers’ room, where Jack and Marissa were making out heavily. I checked the time; 12:15. Neither of us were right. I giggled and Alex led us out of the room, shutting the door behind him. The two of us both knew that Rian’s room was out of bounds to everyone besides himself and Kara, so we carried on down the hall. We reached the room, which was thankfully vacant. Alex pulled me inside, latched his lips to my own and locked the door.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, Christmas break is a day away and I'm really determined to get back into the swing of things with this one!
But I have one concern (or I think you could class it as that, at least).
27 readers and one commenter? (Thank you KirstyCatastrophe!)
I'd really like a bit more feedback on this. It's not a demand, it's not a "do this or I won't update ever again", it's just a quick note. :)
Thanks. :)