Don't Make This Easy, I Want You to Mean It.

Eight.

"So, you're now forcing me to go to a party and watch you get absolutely trashed in a slutty costume?" Marissa asked, away from the boys who were safely in the other room, distracted by the games console Marissa and I never used.
"Correction: I'm begging you to go to a Halloween party and get drunk with me, while we both look less slutty than the other girls around us and make sure I don't hook up with Alex again this weekend. Or anyone for that matter. Did I mention I already bought you a costume?"
"Twice. I'll go if you promise to do the same for me," she bargained.
"Exception only to Jack," I smirked. "You two would be cute together."
"Well, you and Alex would look cute together but you won't hook up with him!"
"Pfft, been there, done that."
"Yeah, and now he's obsessed with you and one-night-stand girl!"
"He's obsessed with an extremely drunk version of me from last week, not the actual me."
"You don't see what me and Jack see. Alex has never been as affectionate toward anyone as much as he is to you. He met you on Monday, and he's already acting like a love sick puppy!"
"Urgh. I'm going back out to see the guys, just promise to come on Saturday?" I pleaded, making my way over to my bedroom door.
"Fine. I promise," she sighed, catching up with me as I opened the door. "But-"
"Shh! They're having a man on man talk!" I whispered. She clamped her mouth shut and joined me in listening by the barely open door.
"Dude, it's insane! This week is completely fucked, man. First I get left on Sunday morning, then you introduce me to Jasey! It's like my head is going backwards and forwards between the two of them. This girl leaves me all alone and then refuses to acknowledge that anything happened between us. It's the first time a girl hasn't said something to me about it! Am I losing my touch?!"
"Judging from the way the girl the week before went on; not at all," Jack chuckled.
"Well then what happened?! This girl has driven me completely psycho! And there's Jasey! She's just... wow. There isn't even a single thing about her that doesn't make me turn into a sweet-talking mess. And not even in the usual way! When I'm saying all those things to her, I mean every single word. I don't even think of using her, of taking advantage, I don't even know if I can think of it. I've known her what? Three days? And she's got me wrapped around her finger, I'd do just about anything for her, but then other times it's like I'd do anything for that other girl! I don't know who she is and it all just gets so confusing! I'm going out of my mind!"
"What if they're the same girl?" Jack asked, almost too quietly for me to make out. Marissa and I both looked at each other, with identical worried looks on our faces.
"Don't be stupid Jack, they can't be. Jasey wasn't even in town this Saturday, she told me. I'd know if she was. Anyway, I trust her not to lie to me."
"Have you ever actually asked her outright if it was her?"
"No, why would I? Jack, what do you know?" I could tell Jack was going to break, and soon. I had to delay this. If I didn't go out there now, he was going to sell me out before the end of the night. I opened the door fully, stepping out into the main room with Marissa in tow, plopping down between Jack and Alex.
"What's up, bitches? I didn't interrupt your secret love declarations, did I?"
"Oh, ha ha, Jasey. You're so full of witty remarks today," Alex replied sarcastically.
"You make it so easy," I smiled sweetly, pecking his cheek.
"And you are just too cute to stay mad at. Unfortunately."
"You're such a sweetheart," I giggled. There was a knot in the pit of my stomach, reminding me that Jack was almost at breaking point. That I shouldn't be sat here pretending nothing was wrong, when it was clear that the week was going to take a serious turn for the worse. Jack was going to break his promise and rat me out to Alex. I knew it had been stupid to trust Jack with this, and now I was going to pay the price of my stupidity.
"Barakat," I spoke up suddenly, breaking the silence that had fallen upon us. "We need to talk. Now." His face crumpled in confusion, but he got up and followed me outside the apartment regardless.
"What is it?" He asked, hugging me. He always, always knew when something was up with me, even when it wasn't as painfully obvious as it had become lately.
"Get off me," I ordered, pushing him off.
"What have I done?!"
"You're breaking your promise, jackass!"
"I haven't said anything!"
"I heard you two talking! You were going to tell him!"
"He deserves to know!"
"What so he can hate me for leaving him?! Fuck no! He'll hate me!" I knew my comments were repetitive as Hell, but Jack had gotten me so frustrated I couldn't form a clear argument in my mind.
"I thought you were eavesdropping on our conversation," he spat. "If you were listening properly you would have realised he's crazy about you, he couldn't stay mad at you if he tried, Jase. The only thing stopping him from doing anything is this stupid little secret you're keeping!"
"He'll figure it out for himself," I shrugged.
"You have to tell him yourself, and you have to do it soon. Jodie's going to tell him it was her this weekend at Rian's party. You should have seen that coming." My stomach hit the floor. I couldn't believe someone could be so selfish! I don't know why I didn't see this coming from her.
"Huh, I guess I should have. He wouldn't believe her though, would he? I mean, she wouldn't walk away from him the next morning. She'd be clinging onto him for dear life."
"He's ready to believe anything at the moment."
"Then don't let her come to the party!"
"You like him," he observed.
"I do not. He just shouldn't have to suffer through Jodie, no one should. That and the fact he shouldn't be lied to."
"You're lying to him. You said you were out of town."
"Technically I was, the party wasn't in town."
"But you were by his reckoning! From what you said he thought you were miles away!"
"Then it's his fault."
"Tell him."
"Drop it!"
"No. You brought me out here to talk about it and now I'm telling you what I think. And I think you should tell him. No, scratch that, you need to tell him."
"No."
"You're so fucking selfish! Don't you see what you're doing to him?! He's going insane over you, both you's, and you just don't care! You're going to fucking destroy him and all you can think of is your petty reputation!"
"Fuck you, Jack."
"What?"
"FUCK YOU!"
♠ ♠ ♠
Yay! Update! A week off college!
Oh, lord, it makes me happy to think I can update this regularly again. :)