Accidentally Almost Over

Chapter five

Brentons’s P.O.V.

“You weren’t in first period because… we had a silly fight and you didn’t want to talk to me just yet. You ran off because I tried to pressure you before you had a chance to calm down.” This way I’m not lying, but I’m not telling the whole truth either. Sky looked weary and overly tired. Tobie was pointedly listening to our conversation.

“We had a fight?” He laid his head back and closed his eyes. “What happened?”

“You’re not in any condition to hear about all that again,” I said quietly, caringly. “We’ll talk more about it once you feel better. I’m just so glad you’re alive.”

“Me too.” Sky joked and laughed “Oww. Laughing makes my head hurt.”

“I’ll go ask a doctor if you can have any medicine for that.” I walked out.

Tobie’s P.O.V

I sat against the wall of Sky’s hospital room. I watched as Brenton looked at Sky for the first time. His face contorted with regret and relief, but there was one other thing. Love. There was so much love in that look. I hurt for him when I saw him start to reach for Sky’s hand then stop then reach for it again. It almost made me forget about why we were actually here, and why I had a bad start with this boy. It was no time before Sky’s eyes flitted alive. He didn’t remember what happened that morning for the most part. Something hit me when I heard his recount of the morning; I was nowhere to be found. He’s not going to remember who I am, and for some reason this made me exponentially sad. I was nothing more than a strange body in a chair.

“You weren’t in first period because… we had a silly fight….” I tuned into their conversation when Brenton was trying to explain away the morning. As he carefully avoided mentioning his cheating incident my eyes narrowed. I swear after the pain I saw in Sky’s eyes this morning, if he thinks he can just breeze something over and make it seem like it never happened then he’s got another thing coming.

Brenton left the room in search of a doctor and I was left alone with Sky. He looked tired and kind of pitiful with the bandages around the top of his head. Then, as awful as this is going to sound, I snickered. The thought crossed my mind of what sky was going to look like without his gorgeous shaggy hair. This caught his attention and he picked his head up to look in my direction. He looked startled when he saw me.

“Tobie?” He asked?

I spark ran through my body, “That’s me? Do you actually remember me?”

“No. I don’t know you, but when I looked at you your name came to mind,” He said with a small smile. “Umm.. Who are you?”

“Well,” I paused; how do I go about this. I don’t want to be the one to break the news to sky, but our story roots in his break up. “You already know my name.” I smiled. “This was my first day at East Community High. I saw you sitting under the willow after your fight with your boyfriend and you looked like you could use someone to talk to. You also pointed me to my first class and you were going to help me get to my other classes today.”

“It doesn't look like either of us made it to our classes today,” Sky said closing his eyes, leaning gingerly back against his pillow. “If I just met you, no offense, but why are you sitting in my hospital room. I know someone pretty like you has to have better things to do.”

‘…pretty like you….’ My cheeks flushed. “Well I’m here because…” Shit what reason do I really have. “Honestly, I didn’t know you were hurt until I ran into Brenton. That boy was so scared. I pestered him into telling me what happened, then realized we were wasting time… we were worried you might die. I didn’t know how to get to the hospital, so I jumped in the car with Brenton.” I paused. “So, I’m here as long as he’s here.” Interpret that how you will Sky.

“So you’re just here ‘cause you can’t leave? Let me give you cab fare, you shouldn’t be wasting your night here with two people you don’t even know.”

“Sky Ammity, you were my first, and currently only, friend at our school! You may not remember this morning, but I do. I’m here because I was concerned about your life. Don’t you dare wave cab fare at me! I’m fine with being here.”

Sky smiled, but it gave him a pitiful look with his swollen face, “you’re nice ya’ know?”

“I’ve been told.”

“You’ve been told what?” Brenton stepped in with a water and a cup.

“Just that’s he’s a generally nice guy,” Sky said calmly.

“Yeah I suppose. He’s not a terrible person, and he keeps to himself very well.” He threw me a striking look as he said the last words. “Here Sky, take these. It’s some low dose over the counter headache meds. That’s all they can give you right now.”

“Thanks.”

“I’m gonna go ahead and take whats-his-face home. Okay, Sky?”

“That’s fine, you can go home for a bit too. I think I’m just going to sleep for a little while.” Sky did seem incredibly drowsy. He looked cute in a helpless puppy kind of way.

“No, I’ll be back,” Brenton assured. “I’m just going to run him home.”

“I’m okay with staying here, really,” I tried to interject.

“You are going home.” With that Brenton walked out, expecting me to follow I’d assume.