‹ Prequel: My Unintended

Déjà vu

Games

Gerard’s P.O.V
I stepped onto the bus, Frank giggling and on my back, to find it pitch black, with just the TV for light.

The screen was paused and Michaela was sleeping with the PS2 controller on her lap.

“Frank, shut up.” I whispered and dropped him on the floor, with a thud, and walked towards my sleeping daughter.

I thought about waking her up and moving her to her bunk, but I didn’t have the heart, so I sat down on the floor, in front of the sofa she was sleeping on, and gently picked up the abandoned controller and un-paused the game.

The game buzzed to life and a fat toad charged towards me and pushed me off the edge into lava.

I gasped and looked up at Michaela, feeling slightly guilty for losing one of her lives.

I shrugged when I remembered what game I was playing. She was the Goddess of this game and must have completed it 10 times by now. I went back to the level, as Ray, Bob and Mikey stepped onto the bus and flicked a light on, and I got killed again.

“Damn it.” I whispered. The guys looked to where I was sitting and must have seen that Michaela was asleep, so they walked towards the back of the bus, where Frank had vanished to.

Michaela’s P.O.V
“Damn it.” I heard dad whisper and I opened my eyes, blinking in the light that had woken me up.

I saw he was trying to get past the first boss level on Spyro 3, and fought back the urge to giggle. He was good at the tougher games, like Lord of the Rings, but he couldn’t even get past the first level of Spyro. I swear, I could do that with my eyes closed.

After watching him die for the fourth time, I decided to help him out.

“Dad, when the toad spins towards you, you run in the opposite direction.” I spoke up and he jumped slightly, making him get squashed by the toad.

“How long have you been awake?” He asked, not making eye contact.

“Long enough.” I mumbled and watched as he did what I told him.

“When he stands still, you charge at him and knock him into the lava.” I hastily explained and he died on his first attempt, missing the toad and crashing straight into the lava himself.

“Why were you playing this again anyways? I thought you wanted to try and complete Sonic?” He asked.

“I got stuck on the boss level…” I explained and decided not to tell him that Matt was here and that I needed an easy distraction so I wouldn’t get too worked up.

He nodded and went back to the game, almost defeating the boss, but getting fire sneezed at him by the ugly monster.

He paused the game and threw the controller to the floor, before turning to me. I didn’t move, just kept my right hand under my right cheek as he looked at me.

“Come on, I can tell something’s wrong, what’s the matter?” He asked. I faked a look of confusion and smiled.

“Everything’s fine, I’m just really tired.” I said half-truthfully and sat up.

“I’m going to go to bed.” I yawned and stood up, he stood up too and hugged me.

“If you ever need to talk, I’m here 24 hours a day.” He whispered into my ear and kissed my head.

I pulled away and smiled at him, nodding my head.

“I know, goodnight dad.” I mumbled and walked away.

“Love you baby!”

“Love you too dad!” I called back and entered the deserted bunk area.

I know it't not the best chapter I've ever written...

...I fought through my cold to bring you this anyways, so can I have a few comments please?