‹ Prequel: My Unintended

Déjà vu

Lessons

Michaela’s P.O.V

I opened my eyes and groaned. Fuck; that hurt. I carried on laughing and the only way Matt decided he could shut me up was to whack me round the head with a gun.

Yeah, I said gun. He dug the handle right into my temple and a trickle of blood ran down to my chin before I blacked out. Needless to say, I had one bitching headache afterwards.

The room span as a wave of dizziness washed over me. I have no idea how long I had been unconscious, but I don’t think it was a very long time because Matt was leaning against the opposite wall. Beside him was a bottle of water, a bacon sandwich and a small Mars bar.

“She lives.” He commented and stood up, bringing the food with him. I watched, in silence, as he placed the food down, beside me, and untied one of my hands. I had learnt, by now, that if I tried anything dodgy, I wouldn’t eat. I was fucking hungry and I needed the sugar to stop feeling like shit.

“Eat that.” He demanded, as if I needed telling twice, and I retrieved the sandwich, with my right hand, and bit into it. It was a bit cold, but, hey, it was better than starving to death.

Matt went back to his original spot and leant back on the wall. A quiet creaking noise caught my attention and I tried not to react. Matt didn’t do it, by then he was sitting dead still and not even blinking. I just carried on eating, waiting for the source of the sound to reveal itself…

Frank’s P.O.V

“Gee!” I whispered. He flinched as his foot his a particularly creaky part of the floor.

“Sorry.” He mouthed back and I nudged him forward.

We had made it to the apartment complex and it was even creepier than the last time I had been there. Every single window was one of three things; broken, burnt out or boarded up.

The door to the main entrance was hanging off its hinges and we managed to get past an army of cockroaches and made it to the stairs. 7 mouldy flights of stairs we ran up and slowed down as we hit the landing of the 7th floor. My body shivered as the sense of déjà vu washed over me.

I could feel the fear radiating off both mine and Gee’s body, they clashed in mid-air and gripped each other as my hand found Gerard’s and we made our way to that one fucking apartment I hated. Number 34. That was when Gerard found the creaky part of the floor and flinched.

Still, we moved on and, with Gerard leading the way, pushed open the door and entered silently. The atmosphere was so intense I almost choked. I swear, there was an air of defiance, fear and determination coupled with the smell of blood and mould. Gerard sensed it too, because his grip on my hand tightened.

“That was quick.” Matt’s voice echoed and we froze. Gerard pressed us up against the hallway wall and we looked towards the door just ahead of us. We had definitely found the right place.

“Yeah, well, you’re hit made me hungry.” Michaela spat back. It was little relief, because there was a strength to it that spat defiance into Matt’s ugly face.

“You shouldn’t have laughed…”

“And you should have shut up.” He interrupted and she fell silent. Gerard and I edged forward and reached the doorway, we were just biding our time before we entered.

“I see you’ve finally learnt…” Matt spoke quietly and Gerard dragged me into the room after him.

“I see you haven’t.” Gerard snapped and I finally took in the sights before me.

Matt was sitting against the wall, opposite us, with wide eyes, and a gun was lying abandoned just behind the door. Stupid fucker. My eyes travelled upwards, from the gun, and met the one sight that tipped me to the brink.

Michaela was tied to a chair, with blood trailing down her face, and it looked like she had tear stains down her face. I wanted so badly to sweep her into my arms and hug the pain away, but I couldn’t. Matt was a fucking psycho.