‹ Prequel: My Unintended

Déjà vu

The truth hurts

Gerard’s P.O.V

I looked down at her hazel eyes, identical to mine, and a hard look on her face.

That was the one thing she had inherited from Melissa, that stubborn look, she had inherited the general stubbornness from both of us.

I sighed, unsure whether to take her home and get Frank to help me.

No, this was my responsibility. She was my own flesh and blood. Yeah, Frank loved her like she was his own daughter and he had helped me through all the shit that had happened between me and Melissa, but it was my job to tell Michaela about her mother.

I moved so I was sitting opposite to Michaela.

“Baby, I don’t know where to even begin.” I said, honestly. She moved her body against the headstone and smiled.

“Dad just start from the beginning.” She told me. “How did you meet?”

I told her everything. How we had met through Matt, how we had got together and Melissa fell pregnant. I told her everything. The truth. She was 16, she deserved to know everything.

I saw her eyes flash with anger as I told her about the night I had found Melissa on the bathroom floor with the suicide note.

“Dad, she was pregnant! How could she do that?” She whispered in horror, tears falling from her eyes. I held her hand and told her it didn’t stop there, that her mother wasn’t who I hoped she would become.

I poured my heart out to her and we sat on the grave for hours, discussing the night Michaela was born, how I used to sing to her, how I joined the band and how obsessive Melissa became. When I told her how Melissa had died, she started to sob. I could see her heart breaking, just like mine had. I pulled her into my arms and rocked her as she cried.

“Dad, I dream about that night all of the time. I thought it was just a nightmare!” She said. My heart sank. It was exactly what was haunting my dreams too and it hurt me to know she was suffering from her mother’s actions.

“Baby so do I. It hurts so much when I wake up and think about it, but if I can move on, so can you.”

“Dad, I didn’t even know her! She hated me; she tried to kill us and then she killed herself! How can I move on?” She cried. I rubbed her back.

“Kayla, baby, I’m not going to lie to you. I saw everything. I saw her fall to the floor after she pulled the trigger. If I can move on, then you definitely can!” I told her, tears falling from my eyes now. I pushed her away and looked into her red eyes.

“Look, you made me cry.” I said, grinning. She smiled and wiped her eyes.

“It’s just not fair!” She said, flinging herself into my arms again. I pulled her up to her feet and looked down at the headstone briefly.

“I know it’s not fair, but your mother was just young, she didn’t understand that you were so special. She thought she knew best by drinking and no matter how hard I tried; she just wouldn’t see that you mean everything to me. I guess she got jealous.” I said. “The night she died, she said she really regretted not accepting you. You know what the last thing was that she said to me?” I asked. Michaela shook her head.

“She said ‘take care of her, Gee, I’ll always watch over her and love her.’ Then she did it…” I said, my voice catching in my throat.

”She went the easy way out.” Michaela said. I nodded and pulled away from her hug. I smiled at her and began to pull her towards the car.

Wait!” She said, turning to the grave and making the cross sign on her body.

“Mom, I don’t hate you.” She said before turning back to me and taking my hand in the twilight.