Thrice Breaker

Song of Solomon

The Shulamite

What was his name again? She couldn't quite remember-- the kiss had seemingly overwhelmed her senses and turned off her brain, at least temporarily. She mirrored his bewilderment on her own face. What was her name?

You're Alicia Simmons-Way, a voice in her mind came to her rescue (too late). And you just kissed your husband's brother on New Year's Eve.

The moment the truth registered itself in her head and those compelling eyes-- so much like his brother's, but not quite-- stared back at her in confusion, she felt the blood rise to her cheeks in embarrassment.

"I-I'm sorry," she stammered, tearing her gaze away from his (too much). Just as he opened his mouth to reply, the crowd cheered once again, thinking the act was done in some foolish display of camaraderie or affection, not realizing the gravity of it to but one person, one face, the only one that was frowning...

"Mikey!" She gasped as he shook his head, a few meters over at Gerard's shoulder (ah, yes, that's what you call him), and turned away. His long brown hair swept into his eyes, marring the view of his sad brown eyes. Eyes she never wanted to see like that ever again.

What had she done? What amount of terrible, convicting hurt had she caused the one she loved?

Suddenly everyone swarmed around them, teasingly congratulating her bravado and oblivious of everything else.

"Oh, shit," she muttered under her breath as she tried to fight through the throng that surrounded her, feigning weak smiles at their laughter, looking for him.

Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a glimpse of his familiar slender form as he slipped through the back door of the room.

What can she say to make it right? How can she convince him of what she knew he was thinking otherwise?

"Wait!" She called out, even if she knew it was useless. She forged a path across the people around her and, with one last glance at Gerard (yes, that's what you called him; how could she have forgotten?), who had disappeared from her sights, followed after the man she called husband, the one she considered beloved.

-

-

The Beloved

What the hell was that? Mikey cursed in his head, gritting his teeth as he shoved his hands deeper into the pockets of his coat, swiveling through the hotel's revolving doors.

All around him people were still trapped in the joyous spell of the new year, but whatever happiness was radiating off them had no effect on him. His boots crushed on the aftereffects of snow without remorse, walking in a straight path despite the people he bumped and caused to stumble.

He heard someone swear at him from behind, but he didn't look back, his glare intensifying on the path ahead of him. He didn't know where he was going, and frankly he didn't care.

Just away, just away, away from that sight of that... that...

He heard footsteps behind him, but before he could quicken his pace, he felt warmth press against him.

"Mikey." She wrapped her arms around his waist, and put her cheek against his back, making him stop in his stride. "Mikes, please..."

His spine stiffened as he craned his neck upwards, an effort to stop angry tears from cascading down his face. Her arms around him tightened, and after a instat (an eternity) of holding his breath, he sighed passively.

"Leesh..." He loosened her hold on his middle with his long fingers. He turned around to face her, his expression openly a mixture of disappointment, slight resentment, and tiredness.

"Oh, honey, I'm so, so sorry..." The apology stumbled from her lips like slurs from a drunkard.

"Now you call me 'honey.'" He snapped. "You'd think you weren't just kissing my fucking brother a few minutes ago." The bitterness made his voice rise, and he imagined her shrinking in its wake.

"Mikes, it's not like that..." She said defensively, raising her palm to cup his cheek but he shrugged out of her grasp.

"Then what the fuck was it, Alicia? Can someone tell me what the fuck that was?" He exclaimed in silent fury, capturing her eyes in his steely gaze.

"You're making a mountain out of a molehill, Mikes..." She seemed to be done with her apology and was trying to match his rage. "I was just..."

"Just what?" He couldn't help but hiss.

"I thought he was you, okay?" She admitted, glancing away. "I wanted to surprise you with a kiss the exact moment the ball dropped, and I was fighting through the crowd, and I saw you but I was running out of time, so I leaned in and..."

His brow relaxed and she hastily explained, the truth dawning on him slowly.

"Well, I only realized it wasn't you until it was over," she shrugged, and found his eyes again, her own pleading.

"Oh." he took a deep breath, the negative emotions tentatively coursing out of him. "It's this stupid bipolar; I can't control it. I guess I overreacted."

"You think?" She smirked, and punched him playfully. "I was so worried!"

He allowed a smile to grace his lips. "I was worried too. But do we really look that alike?"

She grinned, feigning mock insult. "Oh, shut up! I was in a hurry!"

"Just look closer next time, okay?" His eyes took in her perfect countenance; her raven hair whipped around her face from the cool wind, her lips full and soft and slightly chapped, her cheeks pink from heat and cold and her eyes, her eyes... Still beautiful; but still his?

"You got it," she whispered, tiptoeing to press her mouth against his in a New Year's kiss that was a little too late.

He smiled against it. Still his.

Of course, her mind was screaming otherwise, but how was he to know that?

-

-

The Forbidden

Gerard stood off the side of the remnants of a golden, chaotic gathering, watching the hotel's cleaning staff work their magic in that miniature ballroom whilst all his companions had gone, to their own homes and to their own celebrations.

His stare was blank, his hand still clutching a champagne flute, the same one he'd been holding since midnight, his mind still trying to comprehend what has just transpired.

It was easy to break it down, really, into three simultaneous situations.

1) Alicia kissed him; 2) Mikey was watching while Alicia kissed him; 3) Alicia just told him she was pregnant.

There was really no explanation that can logically account for all of these happening at once. Maybe Alicia and Mikey were having a fight and she wanted to make Mikey jealous, which was why she kissed his brother instead of her husband? But then again, why would Alicia tell him that she was pregnant? Where did that piece fit into this bewildering puzzle? Besides, they were getting along fine, no, more than fine earlier, like glowing rabbits after a fornicating session, and where would you find time to fight in a party? And to top it all off, they'd both disappeared right after...

"Mr. Way..."

He was snapped out of his thoughts by a shy, quiet voice to his side. His gaze landed on a girl, about sixteen with Oriental features, whose name tag read 'Belinda,' not quite meeting his eyes.

"Uh..." Was all he could muster.

She blushed, and it seemed like she was having difficulty breathing as she spoke to him. "Um, Ger--, I mean, Mr. Way, we're g-going to close the r-room, and..."

He realized where she was getting at, and touched her shoulder apologetically. "Oh, you mean I should get out?" He chuckled a bit, and she appeared to have almost fainted. He suddenly saw a flash of black as tucked her hair behind her ear, and he recognized it as an MCR wristband.

So that's why she's so fidgety.

"I'm sorry for being a bother," he said, then fished around in his pockets with one hand for any item he might find. His sunglasses were all he came up with. He handed it to her as her eyes widened incredulously.

"Hope that makes up for it," he winked, and she nodded for no apparent reason. "Thanks for supporting us."

He downed what was left of his champagne, grimacing as he set it down on a table. Tt wasn't chilled anymore and it left a bad taste on his mouth, but it reminded him of the mystery he had been fruitlessly trying to solve.

"By the way, do you know where Mikey and Alicia went, Belinda?" He asked, tired of the relentless enigmas.

"T-they left the hotel..." She replied breathlessly, "I-I was downstairs, and I saw them..."

"Thanks, again."

"N-no problem."

He flashed her a smile, able to understand her shock. The sudden turn of events had left him in a state of surprise too... so perhaps it was time to end the mystery. Why not just talk to them? (Easier said than done, of course not!)

He took his phone out of his pocket as he walked out of the room, scrolling down to his brother's name. He pressed 'dial' and put the device to his ear, hearing it ring a number of times before someone picked up.

"Hello?"

Now, on with the show!