Status: In a working progress

For the first time

PB&J Sandwhiches

“Sophie, wake up,” She heard while somebody was shaking her.

“Jordan? Go away. It’s early,” Sophie shouted covering herself with the blanket.

“Soph, they’re fighting again,” He replied in a hushed tone.

“Who?” Sophie wasn’t a morning person unless she had to be awake for something really important.

“Mom and Dad,” Taking down the cover that hid her, she was now looking at her brother.

“They always fight,” She shrugged knowing that lately her parents had been fighting a lot.

"Sophie dad left!" Jordan was frustrated on why his sister didn't take this seriously.

She sat up straight, back against the headboard, legs criss- crossed. They both knew this was serious, out of all the fights none of them had ever left the house. They usually broke down crying and ended up cuddling up on the couch.

"He probably went to get her some flowers to say sorry," She said trying to cover up that their marriage could possibly be over.

Jordan sighed standing up and kissing his sister's forehead, "They have to be alright," She mumbled.

Jordan left the room without a word while Sophie continued to stay there looking at the wall. The fights had never really about the kids; they were always about not turning off the lights or spending money, just things that would push each other’s buttons.

Even though Sophie couldn't stand being in this house, she knew that it wouldn't be the same house if her parents weren't together, happily.

Removing her baby blue blanket on her, she walked over to the mirror and tied her hair with a stray hair tie on top of her dresser.

Walking down the hall to the stairway, Jordan wasn't in his room. Taking slow steps downward, Sophie was finally to the bottom as silence surrounded her.

"Sophia is that you?" Her mother's voice bounced off the walls.

"Yes," She called softly.

"Come in the living room with me," Sophie started making her way, "Everyone seems to have gone out today or something,"

Sophie nodded at her mother's words as she pretended everything was fine, "Do you want me to still go with Bryan or I can stay home with you,"

"No darling, go with Bryan. I think you two are hitting it off wouldn't you say," She smiled.

"Actually I wanted to--" She started but was cut off by her mother's voice.

"Maybe you should wear your blue dress," She suggested, "Well don't just stand there. He's coming later, go shower and get changed,"

Agreeing, she was now in her room. Trying to remember why she had felt sorry earlier before. Jordan wasn't here, but she had an idea where he would be.

"Hello, Jonas household," Joe answered.

"Hey Joe, it's Soph, is my brother there?"

"He just came why?" He asked.

"Does he look.....mad?"

"Kind of but then again he doesn't really show off emotion," Joe tried to get a joke in there, yet Sophie didn't laugh.

"Okay can he spend the night there?"

"Are you trying to get rid of him because dumping him on us doesn't help the world," This was something funny to Sophie.

"No, I just think he needs to get away from home for a while," She smiled.

"Yeah that's cool. Our parents aren't home so I'll bring it up with Kevin and I'm sure he wouldn't care,"

"Cool, I'll be there sometime in the afternoon to drop his things off,"

"K, oh hey Soph,"

"Yes?"

"Do you and my brother like each other?" his voice was now quiet.

Sophie stayed quiet, trying to figure out a good answer until, "You're just going to have to wait and see won't you?" popped out.

"Fine," He sighed.

"Who's on the phone with Joe?" Nick's voice was heard in the background.

"Oh I'm just telling Sophie all the embarrassing things about you," Joe lied.

"Get off the phone Joe," Sophie giggled as the two fought for the phone and she waited for a minute or two for one of them to win.

"Hey Soph what is up?" Nick said breathing heavily.

"Nothing much. So you drool in your sleep?" She made up thinking he would deny it.

"That only happened twice when I was like in elementary," Sophie laughed quietly.

"Nick I was kidding,"

"Oh," He got quiet, "So was I,"

"Sure. Anyways I got to go and get ready, but I'm dropping some things off later so I'll see you guys then,"

"Ok cool. Bye,"

"Bye," With that she hung up and was starting to prepare for an eventful lunch.

“Sophia, Bryan is here,” Her mother called as she was putting earrings on.

“Be right down in a second,” She responded while trying to put everything in her purse. She put her brother’s bag of clothes in her car before anyone could see.

“This is us at Elvis’ house,” the women’s voice ran up the stairway, making Sophie pause a little before proceeding down the tiled stairs, “Oh here she is,”

“Hello, sorry for the wait,” She excused.

“Not a problem. Well let’s go shall we,” Bryan stuck out an arm to take and Sophie shyly accepted as they went to walk outside.

“So, what are we doing today?” She didn’t really care, but it was rude not to make small talk.

“I wanted to do something different, so I thought we could have a picnic in the park,” He said timidly opening the car door.

She stopped surprised, “Picnic?”

“Yes, you like picnics right?” He asked worried.

She softly nodded sitting in his leather seat, gaining a memory of when she went out with
Nick. The ride toward the park was just like the one before, a bunch of questions.
Finally they had arrived there and Bryan was fully prepared: Basket, blanket, food.

“So, peanut butter and jelly sandwich?” He questioned holding one out for her.

She smiled accepting the premade lunch.

“Bryan,” She said casually after eating about half, “Do you think this will work out. You and
me?”

He paused swallowing what was in his mouth, “I want to believe it will. I’d treat you right, spoil you like the princess you should be, we’d be great together.”

She nodded to his answer and they continued to eat in silence.

Bryan thought he was doing the best. He thought he was winning her over. Yet, he just didn’t really know what Sophie thought.

“I think I should drop you home now,” He said once everything was finished.

Agreeing, they both stood up and cleaned the area. The ride back was silent and awkward.

“Thank you for the meal,” She said proceeding out of his car, but he grabbed her hand. As she turned her head, he kissed her.

For Bryan, this kiss was everything to him. He put his whole self into the kiss and he thought she had felt that way too.

Unfortunately, she didn’t. Sophie did not feel a single thing out of that kiss. Sadly, it was like kissing your guy friend in kindergarten. Totally awkward.

Breaking the kiss Bryan smiled while Sophie’s face went blank. She exited the car silently
and ran up toward the bathroom.

“Honey is that you?” Her mother called.

“Yeah, Bryan had some things to do,” she made up an excuse while wiping his taste off of
her lips, “Jordan is spending the night over at Joe’s house and asked if I could drop some
things. I’ll be back,”

“Okay be safe,” Sophie heard when she had finally gotten into her own car.

She once again called the Jonas household.

“Hello it’s Joe. Hey that totally rhymed,” He amused his own-self while Sophie just smiled.

“Hey, is Jordan good?”

“Yeah, we’ve been playing video games all day. Are you coming now?”

“Yes I just left my house. Is Nick there?”

“Why do you like him?” Joe interrogated.

“Just put him on the phone will you,” She ignored his comment.

“Hold on,” The phone was being covered but you could still hear the background, “NICK
PICK UP THE PHONE!”

“Yeah?” His voice came on the line.

“Sophie’s on the line,” Joe answered, “Soph?”

“Still here,”

“Hey,” Nick said joyfully, “Joe get off the phone,”

“Joe’s not on the phone. Just keep talking as you were,”

“It’s cool. Nick can we go somewhere after I get there, I need to talk to you about something,”

“Sure, everything alright?” He wondered.

“No, Joe’s being an idiot and harassing me,” she accused.

“That is not true!” He fought.

“Maybe you should have gotten off of the phone,” Sophie suggested, while Nick just laughed
to himself.

“You two are mean!” He said like a five-year-old and hung up.

“Okay, anyways I’ll be there in a few and yes everything’s alright. I think,”

“That’s cool. Okay see you in a few. Bye,”

“Bye,” She pressed the red button and tossed the phone to the passenger’s side. It wasn’t long until she found herself in front of the Jonas’ house once again.

She was going to knock, yet the door flew open before she had a chance.

Kevin and Joe pulled her into a room downstairs and sat me on the bed, “Do you like him!”

“Like who?” She asked playing it dumbly.

“SOPHIE!”

“I don’t like Sophie,” She replied.

“UGH!” The two groaned while Sophie giggled.

“I’m not telling you guys…yet,”

The two just glared at her, “Guys!” Nick called.

“Coming,” Joe and Kevin yelled.

“What’s the excuse of all of us coming out of this bedroom?” She smirked.

“We’re going out first,” Kevin directed, “and then we can say you came out of the bathroom
or something,”

“Cool,” She shrugged and watched the two leave.

“Where were you two?” Nick questioned as he sat on the couch watching MTV with Jordan.

“In the bedroom….” Joe started looking at Kevin.

“Looking for my sock monkey,” He added.

Jordan and Nick slowly turned their heads to face Kevin along with Joe with wonder.

“Hey guys,” Sophie entered smiling.

“When did you get here?” Nick smiled.

“Not too long ago. Went to use your restroom,” She shrugged.

“Oh cool,”

“Yeah, Jordan I brought your stuff over,”

“Why?” He replied.

“I’m going to get your stuff. Nick, Kev, want to help?” Joe eyed.

They nodded and left gently closing the door behind them. Sophie made her way towards
the couch and sat down when Nick had.

“Look, I know you and I know you’re not going to tell them what happened so just stay here tonight. I’ll take care of mom just promise not to leave me,” Jordan looked at her with a
softened face.

“Soph, I’m not going to leave you in that house at all. Look I’ll go home if you want me to,”

“I don’t want you to. I want you to just relax, be with your friends. Again don’t worry about the parentals,” She shrugged. It was truly a sibling bond.

“Thank you,” Jordan hugged his little sister, “You can come back in,” He shouted.

“That was so heart felt,” Joe teased.

“Shut up,” she replied, “Okay three down one to go ,” She eyed Nick.

“How is it three down if you only talked Jordan?” Nick asked.

Sophie smirked, “Let’s go Nick,”

“But I don’t–“he started.

“Never mind,” She took his hand and dragged him outside and into her car.

“Where are you taking me?” He wondered putting on his seat belt.

“To the park,” She smiled. Nick nodded and relaxed in the passenger seat.

Once they had arrived, Sophie ran up a hill and Nick chased after her. Sophie stopped and
gazed at her sight, while Nick was still running. He stopped with her and smiled at the view. You could see the entire city from here.

“This is beautiful,” He whispered.

“Yeah, it’s my first time up here,” She smiled and turned to sit down as he followed.

“So what are we doing here?” He asked.

She softly examined him. His curly hair covered part of his forehead the she looked into his
eyes and they just pulled her in. She bit her lip looking for the right words, “May I try
something,”

He nodded. She started to lean in eyeing his lips and he got the message for he too started
to lean closer to her and eventually the lips met. It was effortless and sweet, that was all

Sophie needed. It felt right to her.

She pulled away slowly and smiled as was he.

“Do you always taste like peanut butter?” He asked and she laughed a little.

“Nick, I like you,” She said softly.

“Because I kiss well?”

“No, well yes but your kiss actually means something,”

“Does this have anything to do with Bryan?”

She nodded, “He kissed me earlier and I didn’t feel anything,”

“Okay then, Sophie would you like to go on a date with me,”

“I’d enjoy that,” she smiled standing up.

“So, what about your mom?” He asked.

“She has her own problems to worry about. I better bring you home,”

“I guess,” He sighed and the two made their way into the green jeep.
♠ ♠ ♠
comments???