Blind Eyes.

1/1

"Guillermo, careful."
The voice called from by his ear. "You're drifting to the left." It added as the grip on his hand pulled him closer, another body pressing to him. He was more comfortable when he could feel that close contact;
when he knew he wouldn't bump into anything with such guidance. He wasn't afraid that he would wander into the road. He didn't worry that he may at any moment run into the strangers bustling around them.
As long as he could feel Gabe's hand clasping his, he was safe. He didn't think this, he knew it.

Since he lost his eyesight two years ago, he placed all of his trust on Gabe Saporta. Of course it took a lot to adjust to, for both of them, but they managed.
When it happened, William was a wreck. He never imagined he would have to face life without the help of his eyes, but when the accident took this sense away, he had almost no time to dwell on it.
He was just terrified. While he and Saporta had already been together for a year before the tragedy, William knew Gabe wasn't the most mature twenty-six year old. He was afraid Gabe would leave. He feared that the older one wouldn't want to ruin his life by changing from boyfriend to care-taker of the handicapped.
He prepared himself for it;he knew the older one wouldn't stick around. After all, what would be the point of trying to be with a blind person? Everyday would be the same routine: help him shower, help him get dressed, make all of the food, do all of the shopping, help him around so he didn't get hurt. Nothing would be any fun at all.

After being discharged from the hospital, Gabe stuck with him for two weeks before the thoughts in William's head came out.
"How long before you leave?" He meekly inquired as he felt hands leading him from the kitchen.
"What?"
"Gabe, I know you don't want this. You need a boyfriend, not a pitiful person to look after."
As these words left his lips, he felt the strong grip on his shoulders stop him. He was turned to face the other, though he couldn't see him.

"William Beckett, don't you ever say that." Gabe's voice sounded angry and desperate, both.
"I'm never leaving you. I don't think of this as something I'm required to do, okay? You are my boyfriend, and just because you can't see doesn't change a fucking thing. I don't think twice about this. Ever. I want to take care of you, eyesight or not."
He could feel hot tears pricking at his eyes.

"But Gabe...Dammit, how can you put yourself through this? I can't even look you in the eyes and tell you that I love you."
He tried to push himself away from the other boy, but only ended up tripping, tumbling to the carpeted floor. That's when the first sob tore from his chest, as he curled into himself, trying to make himself smaller. He wished he could just disappear so he could stop being a burden.
"You don't tell someone you love them with your eyes." Gabe responded as he sat by him in the floor, forcing him to sit up.
He pressed William's fingers to his own neck. "Do you feel that?"
His voice rumbled in Bill's ear. "Yes..."
He knew Gabe was nodding with him. "You have a pulse. You're a living, breathing person. Just because you can't see doesn't change that. You're still the same boy that stole my heart a year ago."

He was pulled into warm, strong arms. "If I was the one to lose my vision, would you leave me?" This shocked William to even hear this.
"Of course not!" He screeched. "Why?"
He didn't need to think of his answer. It was as obvious to him as the fact that he had to breathe to live.
"Because I love you!" He felt another sob forming in his throat as Gabe continued.
"That would be a good enough reason to stay?" he lifted his head in the direction of the second voice.
"Of course." He stated, shocked.
"Then why isn't that a good enough reason for me to stay?"
Gabe's voice sounded strained to him, wounded even. It broke his heart.

"I'm sorry." He wailed, a whole new flood of tears escaping his useless eyes.
He fumbled through the dark suspension his eyes sent to his brain as the world, searching for those familiar fingertips to save him from the blank images. He wanted that voice to break through his darkness.
He wanted to listen closely to it, taking note of just how the light Spanish accent shaped his words.
He had memorized every minute detail of his boyfriends' appearance before this all happened, thankfully. He always pictured Gabe when he heard his voice, and the expressions he would make as he talked.
It was nowhere near as great as actually seeing it, but honestly, it kept him sane.
As long as he remembered his face in his mind, he could deal with this all. That's why he liked to memorize the way he said everything.
His boyfriend's voice was the most important thing he could use his senses to enjoy now.
He wanted to remember it too, in case he somehow lost his hearing too.

"Say something." He heard his own voice murmur quietly. He wanted to hear that voice, since he couldn't see those intense, deep brown eyes.
"What's it like to not see?" The question was hesitant and cautious.
"I can still see you." He responded, clinging to the arms he was in.
"Not like I used to see you, but it's enough to keep me going." As he felt their lips meet, he envisioned the way Gabe's eyes stitched shut like they used to. It wasn't as good as the real thing, but he didn't care.
It was enough for him. As long as he could feel him, and hear him, his mind could replay what his eyes took in before they gave out.
♠ ♠ ♠
So, sorry it's so short. I just wanted to post a gabilliam one-shot, since I haven't in so long. Kind of a random drabble, if you will.

Comment? Criticize?