Don't Complicate It

Don't Complicate It

Abby sat at her computer, scanning the system for their latest case. Whilst waiting patiently, she couldn’t help but let her mind wander to the events that took place that morning. A tear trickled down her cheek before she let out a load sob and let the rest of the tears break free.

This wasn't like the usual Abby that everyone knew - no, normally she wouldn't have let a break-up get her so down, even if it did happen to have taken place on the morning of her birthday.

She leant away from the computer, stood up and tried to control her tears by taking in deep breaths. Abby wiped profusely at her eyes, smearing the wetness into her skin.

"At least I work down here alone," She sighed and walked to one of the microscopes located in the room and began preparing a slide. She sniffed and kept her head down as the ding of the lift was heard.

“Wrong again,” She muttered.

"Happy birthday Abs," Gibbs spoke with that small smile of his adoring his lips. He tilted his head slightly in confusion when he didn't receive the usual cheery reply from his quirky forensics specialist.

"Abby, you got anything on the case?" He questioned and stood behind her, looking at her hands as they fumbled with the slide.

"Not yet," Her voice came out muffled and croaky. Concerned, Gibbs put the Caff-Pow drink he'd bought her on the desk and put a hand on her shoulder. Abby tensed as she felt his hands on her and immediately put the slide on the side and allowed him to turn her around to face him. Abby looked down at her new rock boots and refused to look into his eyes when he gently lifted her head up.

"Abs, is the case too much for you?"

"It isn't always about the case, Gibbs," She uttered and quickly turned back to the microscope. Gibbs sighed and turned her back to him again, this time keeping his hands on her shoulders.

"Then what's wrong? You know I don't like it when any of my team bring their personal life to work."

"I thought I could cope," Abby’s voice cracked and a few tears escaped her eyes again.

"What happened?" Gibbs questioned softly, letting the caring side of him take Abby into his arms and hold the crying female to his chest.

"I broke up with Rob this morning.”

“The forty year old? I thought you were happy with him,” Gibbs sighed as Abby started crying harder. After a few minutes she calmed down and was able to catch her breath.

“I thought I was too until this morning when I met his wife,” Gibbs truly didn’t know what to say so instead he just held her in his arms. They stood in silence until Abby’s curiosity got the better of her.

“Aren’t you going to lecture me about dating older men Gibbs?”

“No, you never listen. However I am curious as to why you keep going after them when they all keep screwing you over.”

“Rule 12 – I can’t have you so I go for the second best thing,” Abby confessed with her head still buried in Gibbs’ chest.

“Only difference is that I would never screw you over Abby – never.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Got to love a bit of Gabby love.
Characters don't belong to me.
Comment?