Forgotten

Time of Your Life

July 10, 2009 - Fargo, ND - Fargodome

I stood there and watched as Tre Cool, Mike Dirnt, and the others (minus Billie Joe) all exited the stage. I knew this was the last song, and that saddened me. The final song would either be, "Wake Me Up When September Ends" or "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)". I really hoped it was the latter.

The first notes of "Good Riddance" began. This was one of my favorite Green Day songs, so of course I knew all of the words. I, like the rest of the stadium, sang along with Billie Joe.

"It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right, I hope you had the time of your life."

The last chord faded out, and Billie walked off stage. I felt a little sad at this. Even though I had been jumping and screaming for the last three and a half hours, and knew the band must be extremely tired, I never wanted it to end. I would stay here forever if I could. THe only way this night could have been better was if my best friend Lexi could have come, but she had a prior commitment that she couldn't get out of. Still, it was the best night of my life. I didn't want to get up and leave, so I didn't.

I stood there until Kathryn nudged me and said, "Shelbie, come on, we have to go. The parking lot is going to be insane unless we leave now!"

I thought about what she said and realized she was right. We had enough driving to do on the way home without getting stuck in the parking lot for an hour. I followed Kathryn out the doors of our section and into one of the main areas of the dome.

There we so many people, I had to grab Kathryn's arm so I wouldn't lost her in the crowd. Next to her stood Christen and Carolyn, also holding each other's arms. The four of us made our way through the dome and finally outside. The cool air of the night felt good against my sweaty skind.

On the way to the car, we saw Green Day's main tour bus. We all took out our phones and took pictures with it, since we didn't have regular cameras with us. Later on, we saw several gray buses all lined up and one lone bus off to the side.

There were five people standing by the bus, walking towards the sidewalk. It kind of looked like they were the opening band, The Bravery, but I wasn't sure. I turned to Kathryn and said,

"Hey, is that the Bravery? If not, it looks a lot like them!"

"I think it might be. Let's go look." The two of us ran forward, with Christen and Carolyn following.

When we got a little closer, all of us could tell it was them. We all whispered to each other that we wanted to give them a hug. We didn't have anything with us to get signed, and it was doubtful they had a sharpie or something on them anyway. We agreed a hug would be best.

"Alright, Kathryn, you ask him." I told her, not wanting to be the creepy one.

"No, you! I'm scared." I could tell she wann't really scared, she just didn't want to make and idiot of herself.

"Fine. Hey, wait!" I yelled the last part. Only one of the guys turned around.

"Umm...would it be okay if we gave you a hug?" I asked. Surprisingly enough, he just said, "Yeah, sure!"

I was the first to run up to him, crashing into him. I'm surprised that we didn't fall over with all the force I used. I held on to him tight, happy that he hadn't ignored me like the rest, who'd just kept on walking. He actually hugged me back, and just as tight as I hugged him. I definitely hadn't expected that. I noticed that he smelled really good. After a little bit, I stepped back, releasing him from my hug. All my friends stepped up to hug the guy. I knew he was the lead singer, Sam Endicott.

We said our thanks and went our seperate ways. I really wished we could have met Green Day, but there wasn't anything I could've done. We were getting closer to the car when my cell phone rang. Looking at the display, I saw it was Paul.

"Hey, Paul, what's up?"

"Hey! I'm at the Fargodome. And so are you. Come talk to me, I never see you." Paul always was somewhat demanding, but it was cute.

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Where are you?"

"I'm still inside, by the tshirt stand thingy." I knew where that was.

Holding the phone a little away from my mouth, I said, "Hey guys, do you we have time to go talk to Paul for a few minutes?" I asked my friends.

"Yeah! I love Paul!" Kathryn said. We were all friends with Paul, so I told him we'd be ther in a few minutes. We practically ran back to the dome, excitied to see our friend. After the long journey to the front entrance, we found Paul standing by the tshirts, talking to Alex.

"Hey, guys!" Paul yelled, running towards us.

"Paul!" I shouted, running to meet him.

"What's up, ho?" He said. Despite the fact that I was most definitely no ho, he liked to call me that.

"Not much. Concert effing rocked."

"Yeah, it did!" The six of us talked about the concert for a little bit, until Christen decided she wanted something to eat. Kathryn and Carolyn went with her. I talked to Paul and Alex some more, until I realized I should probably make a stop at the bathroom before the long drive home. I left Paul and Alex there, expecting them to be there when I got back.

***

When I returned from my little trip, Paul and Alex weren't where I'd left them, and Carolyn, Christen, and Kathryn weren't there either. I wandered over to the concessions, but they weren't over there, either.

I took out my cell phone and dialed Christen's number first. It rang once, then went straight to voicemail. Next, I tried Carolyn's. She didn't answer. Kathryn didn't have a cell phone, so that was out. I tried Paul next, but he must have turned it off or something. I didn't have Alex's number, so I couldn't call him either.

My phone started beeping just then, signaling that it was turning off due to a low batttery. Damn it. And I just charged it yesterday! I really needed a new phone.

"Okay, Shelbie, don't panic, they're here somewhere. They just don't have they're phones close by. You'll just have to look around. They can't have gotten too far." I said to myself. I had to admit, I was a little scared.

I wandered around the Fargodome for the next ten minutes, looking everywhere for anyone I knew. I had other friends coming to the concert, but we didn't travel together. Maybe I could find them. Someone, anyone, it didn't matter. As long as I knew them.

I was beginning to freak out. I couldn't find any familiar face, and none of my friends had they're cell phones on or were answering them. I decided to go out to where our car was parked, if they weren't there already waiting for me, then they would have to come over there eventually, right?

Wrong.

They weren't there like I had expected. Not only that, the car was gone too. What the hell. So now, I was stuck at the Fargodome with no friends, no car, and no phone. Great. Just effing great.

"Well maybe they have a payphone or something inside. I could use that." I said to myself, again.

"Yeah, and who am I gonna call? Mom and dad are out of town until next Friday. No one is answering their phone. I can't even look in my contacts for a random number, and I don't think this quite warrants 911. Plus, I don't even have any money left, I spent it all on that damned $40 tshirt. What the hell am I going to do?"

Deciding that I was already royally screwed enough, I thought it best to go back inside, so at least I wouldn't be cold.

And then, I remembered that I'd left my purse in the car. Oh hell no.

I continued wandering around the Fargodome, hoping that I would see anyone familiar. FInally, I had been walking so long that I had absolutely no idea where I was. There wasn't anyone around me anymore, just a staircase that I assume led to the lower level. I figured that mayebe someone who could help me would be down there, so I began my descent.

Too bad I'm much too clumsy for my own good. I tripped on the second step and fell to the bottom, landing harshly on my ankle. I felt a sharp pain coming from there, and knew I wouldn't be able to stand on it, let alone walk. Being the incredulous person I am, I had to test it out anyway. Upon standing up, I only succeeded in falling right back down, and causing myself an immense amount of pain. This couldn't get any worse.

FML.

***End Chapter One - Time of Your Life***