Forgotten

Give Me Novacaine

The small stairwell was cramped, with two doors, two sets of ten stairs, and a small landing between the sets of stairs. That's where I was, the landing. Not the most comfortable place to trip down.

I just sat in that position for a while, wondering what to do next. It was clear that I wouldn't be walking any time soon, and my cell was so dead it wouldn't even turn on. I really needed a new one, without the broken screen. Yelling for help wasn't an option; I could barely talk anymore. For as loud as I could yell at this point, no one would hear me.

What the fuck was I going to do? Even if I forced myself to walk despite the pain, it wouldn't be long before I passed out. I could already feel my stomach turning. The sight of other people's blood never got to me physically, but when it was my own body that was injured, I couldn't handle it.

I felt the skin around my ankle; it had already swollen up quite a bit, and I knew it was in the very least sprained. Possibly broken. I was suddenly very grateful I had taken that Medically Related Careers class last year, who knew I would need it before med school?

Well shit.

All I could do was sit here and hope someone found me before my ankle set wrong. I tried to maneuver it as best as I could into the correct spot, but I wasn't sure that it was entirely accurate. I could only hope that I was close enough that it wouldn't have to be re-broken. I was sure that would hurt ten times worse.

I sat there for what seemed like hours, but was probably only minutes. My only thoughts were of how a night so amazing could have gone so terribly wrong. I had been having so much fun! I was with my friends, at a concert for one of my favorite bands, and I could have only been happier if my best friend had been there. Then, I got to see Paul and Alex, and I never saw them. How could it all have gone bad in just a few short minutes?

I leaned my head against the wall with my legs spread out in front of me. I desperately wished that someone would find me. I didn't even care if I got in trouble for being in a restricted area (there was no one else around here, what else could it be?). I just wanted out of here, and soon.

My thoughts strayed to my friends. What had happened to them? Why did all of them disappear so suddenly? More importantly, why had they left without me?

I didn't have any family in Fargo, and the only friends here that I had were Carolyn and Erik. Carolyn wasn't answering her phone, and I didn't know either of their numbers off the top of my hand.

As soon as I was somewhere else, I'd need to find a phone. I should probably get my ankle checked, too. But it was infinitely more important that I called someone. I wondered who I would call, though. Both my parents and my grandparents were out of town for the next week for my third cousin's wedding. Her and her husband were getting married in Vegas, and no one under 21 was allowed. Only a little longer and I would have been able to go. Oh well. I was supposed to stay with Kathryn tonight, and go over to Lexi's the next day.

Speaking of Lexi, I could probably call her parents. If nothing else, they'd know where I was and could help me think of something to fix the situation. Lexi's parents had always liked me, since I first met them. I wasn't quite sure why they had taken to me so quickly, but I didn't worry about it. They could have hated me. I don't know what I would do if they did. I was over at her house quite frequently, and even her younger sister liked me. I smiled at the memories.

My mind then wandered to stupid, mindless things. I though about what my timetable next year would be like, how my dog Luca was doing all by himself, how quickly I would be able to learn that new song....silly things like that.

My thoughts were interrupted by voices outside the door below. They were muffled, so I had to guess at the words, but if I wasn't right, I was definitely close.

"Hey, Mike, I gotta pee really fucking bad. I'll be back in a little bit." said the first voice.

"Yeah, alright. We'll still be loading shit, so just come find us." came the second voice.

I tried to yell, hoping that one of them would hear me, but no sound was coming out, and it only made my throat hurt worse.

I thought I heard footsteps coming from outside the door, but I wasn't sure if it was wishful thinking or not.

My confusion was ended when I both heard and saw the doorknob turn. Never in a million years would I have expected what I saw next.

***

The door opened, revealing my savior, my angel. At first he didn't see me, but when he did, he said,

" Woah! Holy shit....are you okay? What the fuck happened?" He asked me, his face a mixture of confusion and worry.

At first I couldn't speak, but I finally managed to force out the words. "Ummm...I-I'm not sure if I'm okay...but I think so...I, uh, well, I tripped going down the stairs. I think that I, uh, broke my ankle." I stuttered and tripped over my words, not really believing he was there.

"Oh God...fuck. Alright, well, we need to find you a doctor. And I have to pee pretty damned badly. Do you mind if I do that quick, and come back?" he asked. Why was someone like him so concerned about someone like me?

"Y-Yeah, go, I've survived so far, what can a couple minutes hurt."

"I'll be right back." He said, and disappeared up the stairs, through the door, and out of my sight.

I still wasn't sure that he had really been there, that he wasn't just a figment of my imagination. You would have the same doubts, too, if you had just been saved by Billie Joe Armstrong.

***End Chapter 2 - Give Me Novacaine***
♠ ♠ ♠
Obviously, all the chapters are named after Green Day songs, each sort of relating to the chapter. But it doesn't have to do with what the song is about, rather, the title itself. In my experience, novacaine is usually only used for dental purposes (but I could be wrong). It's not like Green Day has a song called "Give Me Vicodin" or "Give Me Morphine". Haha.

Sorry there wasn't much dialogue in this chapter, there will be plenty more coming up. I'll try to update tomorrow, but no promises.